Seahawks Star Everyone Should Be Talking About - Matty Brown

olyfan63

Reaction score
I know Pete has ALWAYS placed a super-high value on Special Teams. Honestly, I was surprised to see another drafted "Safety" stick on the opening roster, a no-name 6th rounder no less. I did run across intel that suggested Reed II was chosen as he projected to be a special teams stud, so it's awesome that it's proving out in real games.

Thanks to Matty F. for this piece, and thank you JVille for sharing it here!

P.S. If we're down a DB or two in the playoffs, I hope Reed is developing as an actual NFL DB and is ready to go out and perform if there's a starting DB injury in the big game. I think I saw Reed II in for a few reps vs. the Giants.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The only guy that hasn't played at all from the entire draft class is K. McIntosh (injury). Mike Morris has only had 34 total snaps so far. Everyone else from this years draft class has contributed significantly. I had a good feeling that this entire class could stick at the time.

Jerrick Reed and Derick Hall both are near the top in snap count on special teams.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Reed was an exciting late draft choice due to his intangibles coming our of New Mexico. He was a great leader on that team and stood out as a player at that level. Great to see his contribution in an important area often overlooked.

getnasty

Reaction score
I have a good feeling he's gonna be more then a special teamer in a couple of year too. Excited to see what the future brings for him.

sutz

Reaction score
Interesting video. Thanks for the link!

Looks like Reed is using WR techniques as a gunner to get around the blockers and get into the open field, where he can fill gaps and make plays.

In coverage, it looks like they're using D-line concepts of "stunting" and weaving to confuse the return blockers and penetrate the schemes the return teams are trying.

Love also how he keeps his head up and looks around to see how his teammates are moving so he can coordinate his efforts, not just blindly running down as fast as he can. A lot more teamwork and scheming is going on than a lot of fans normally think. Special teams is often the part of the game that still looks like sandlot ball, but they're actually running "plays" and schemes to get the job done.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
image002.png

This linked Ted Zahn article from last July has aged very well >>>> https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/7/5...rookie-season-seattle-seahawks-2023-nfl-draft

Quote from article: "Rookie season prediction"

"The Seahawks can always use depth at both safety and nickel cornerback, and Reed has the chance to fill those along with getting extensive work on special teams. It’s that third phase that will really determine whether Reed is on the roster after final cutdowns. Seattle lost special teams mainstays Travis Homer and Tanner Muse this offseason, so there are opportunities for Reed. I think he has the toughness and mentality to make it and the coaching staff really seems to love him. Reed will see time on all special teams units and will be one of their important pieces in that third phase similar to what Joey Blount did last year."