Seahawks to poach TE Brady Russell from Eagles Practice Squad

olyfan63

Reaction score
The Seahawks are expected to add TE Brady Russell to their active roster. Russell is an undrafted rookie from Colorado, who was on the Eagles practice squad.

It could be as simple as the Seahawks offense relies a TON on their TEs, including 3 TE sets, and if one of the existing 3 goes down, it creates a problem.

Looks like this guy is a good blocker, while the other 3 TEs are good blockers AND good receivers. So if Brady Russell brings the quality blocking, and can catch a pass when needed, it's a great insurance policy for the Seahawks. I bet he's also good on Special Teams, thus why Pete and John pulled the trigger, a guy who will make the team better.

Guessing he's as good a blocker or better than Fant and Parkinson, and perhaps even in the same blocking league as Dissly, for run blocking. GUESS ONLY!! Let's find out more and discuss.

Also, Fant and Parkinson are Free Agents after the season, I gather. So good to have a rookie contract TE or two in the pipeline.

Source: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/9/2...ladelphia-eagles-practice-squad-brady-russell

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maybe one of our TEs has a bad shoulder?
Yeah, that's been a roster-wide problem, lol...

Picture John Schneider as Christopher Walken in a mangling of the "More Cowbell" skit on SNL...
Walking in on Shane Waldron, after the Seahawks 3 TEs light it up against Detroit:
Schneider: I'm gonna need more TE on that one.
Waldron: Got it. More TE. I'll tell Pete.

Kidding aside, it's interesting they'd go get this guy, and whatever happened to Tyler Mabry?

kidhawk

Reaction score

Jville

Reaction score
I think of Tyreke Smith as a development project. Possibly looking to add him to the practice squad if nobody else claims him.

TE Brady Russell is the exciting news. Soft trust worthy hands. Has Tyler Mabry size. I'd like to believe this move signals an expanding offense.

• Has enough speed to challenge the seam but does not possess elite top-end speed.
  • Good strength and effort to run through arm tackles.
  • Russell fights his way off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, showing quick, violent hands and good balance.
  • He’s coordinated with soft, reliable hands, and Russell shows the ability to adjust to balls thrown behind him, as well as a knack for digging out low throws.
  • Good short-area foot quickness with very good footwork.
  • Russell has reliable hands and shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle.
https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Brady-Russell-TE-Colorado

Four Tight Ends on the roster sounds about right to me. More 12 and 13 personnel is just fine with me.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think of Tyreke Smith as a development project. Possibly looking to add him to the practice squad if nobody else claims him.

TE Brady Russell is the exciting news. Soft trust worthy hands. Has Tyler Mabry size. I'd like to believe this move signals an expanding offense.

• Has enough speed to challenge the seam but does not possess elite top-end speed.
  • Russell fights his way off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, showing quick, violent hands and good balance.
  • He’s coordinated with soft, reliable hands, and Russell shows the ability to adjust to balls thrown behind him, as well as a knack for digging out low throws.
  • Russell has reliable hands and shows the willingness to make catches in traffic over the middle.

Four Tight Ends on the roster sounds about right to me. More 12 and 13 personnel is just fine with me.
This article talks more about the 3 TE sets the Seahawks used vs. the Lions, plus all the 2-TE sets. It does indeed seem like that's the direction the Hawks are headed. Just like the Seahawks O has had tons of RB injuries, thus needed depth, the TE depth could quickly become a problem if even one of our 3 superb TEs got injured.

sutz

Reaction score

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

It seemed like we were having a lot of success in both run and passing game last season and then it just… went away. Reappeared for a game or two, with success, and then poof again. I’d like it to be a staple and see what Ds can do to counter it.

OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maybe one of our TEs has a bad shoulder?
You are psychic! Apparently it's Will Dissly with a bad shoulder. I thought I heard it on Corbin & Rang podcast, but not sure. I do recall a mention of Dissly with a bum shoulder. This is in addition to Mike Morris and his shoulder problems, which are apparently season-ending.

Can anyone else validate the intel on Dissly with a shoulder injury? And how injury sustained? Was it Colonel Mustard on the sidelines with a lead pipe?
EDIT: Dissly injury confirmed. Pete discussed this in his presser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olyfan63

olyfan63

Reaction score
Never seen John raid practice squads so much, probably players with detectable grades on their draft board.
Yeah, sounds like it, it's like the 3rd draft, 1-Actual draft, 2-UDFA signings, 3-Practice Squad Poaching.

I'm guessing most of these guys we raided, LB Drake, CB Kyu Blu, and now TE Brady Russell, were guys the Hawks scouted and liked, and hoped to get in UDFA. (Also tackles Raiqwon O'neal and McClendon Curtis). Now that other teams have "validated" their potential worth as an NFL-level player, and they've all put out preseason film, it makes it "safer" to poach them at positions of need where PC/JS perceive as an upgrade. Recall we poached RT Breno Giacomino from Packers' practice squad, so maybe one or more of these poaches will turn out to be a gem.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Loved me some Giacomini. I was wondering when Dissly would get hurt.

He was due..