Poaching from other team's Practice Squads...

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I posted this on a different thread, but felt it was worthy of it's own thread.

One thing that I keep forgetting about and occasionally remembering is, we can poach from other team's practice squads if we absolutely need specific players. Think rounds 5-7, all those gems that are more likely to end up on someone's PS due to 53 cut-downs...Names that were thrown around here that people wanted on the Hawks.

5th round picks
-Jaquelin Roy, DT
-Noah Sewell, LB
-SirVocea Dennis, LB
-Henry To'oTo'o, LB
-Owen Pappoe, LB

6th round picks
-Karl Brooks, LB
-Keondre Coburn, DT
-Dee Winters, LB

7th round picks
-Moro Ojomo, DT

Any one of these players could be stashed on their team's Practice Squad, ripe for the picking if we truly need front 7 help...

I'm not sure about ALL the rules relating to the topic, besides the fact that the poached player must be on the receiving team's active 53 man roster for 3 consecutive weeks following said poaching... If anyone else knows why we shouldn't be able to snag one or more of these guys for our line, please feel free to add some input. I'm also very interested in JL Skinner and Antonio Johnson being poached (if they end up on their team's practice squad) and for once considering we might have space on our final 53 man team for one or two of these guys, this year might just get even better with depth and future starting players.

toffee

Reaction score
I posted this on a different thread, but felt it was worthy of it's own thread.

One thing that I keep forgetting about and occasionally remembering is, we can poach from other team's practice squads if we absolutely need specific players. Think rounds 5-7, all those gems that are more likely to end up on someone's PS due to 53 cut-downs...Names that were thrown around here that people wanted on the Hawks.

5th round picks
-Jaquelin Roy, DT
-Noah Sewell, LB
-SirVocea Dennis, LB
-Henry To'oTo'o, LB
-Owen Pappoe, LB

6th round picks
-Karl Brooks, LB
-Keondre Coburn, DT
-Dee Winters, LB

7th round picks
-Moro Ojomo, DT

Any one of these players could be stashed on their team's Practice Squad, ripe for the picking if we truly need front 7 help...

I'm not sure about ALL the rules relating to the topic, besides the fact that the poached player must be on the receiving team's active 53 man roster for 3 consecutive weeks following said poaching... If anyone else knows why we shouldn't be able to snag one or more of these guys for our line, please feel free to add some input. I'm also very interested in JL Skinner and Antonio Johnson being poached (if they end up on their team's practice squad) and for once considering we might have space on our final 53 man team for one or two of these guys, this year might just get even better with depth and future starting players.
Quite a few of those names appeared often on my mocks.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
Interesting post, and I'm sure that Schneider has his finger on this pulse. He's pretty thorough.

Thing is, I suspect that all 10 of our picks might actually make the final cut, barring injuries of course, so I don't see this happening in this vein until after the start of the season, covering for injuries or what not.

OP
OP
MyrtleHawk

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Interesting post, and I'm sure that Schneider has his finger on this pulse. He's pretty thorough.

Thing is, I suspect that all 10 of our picks might actually make the final cut, barring injuries of course, so I don't see this happening in this vein until after the start of the season, covering for injuries or what not.
Yep, that's fair to say. I'm thinking the highest odds of position to be poached would probably be LB and there are plenty to choose from that were taken in the later rounds who may or may not be on their team's practice squad.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Can’t they “protect” an x amount though?

OP
OP
MyrtleHawk

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Found some answers:

• Players cannot be signed directly from one practice squad to another. They either have to be released first or added to the active 53-man team.
  • Practice squad players are not allowed to sign with upcoming opponents, unless done so a minimum of six days before the two teams’ game (10 if the team is on a bye).
  • If a practice squad player is signed by another team, he receives a guaranteed three-week salary and will count against the 53-man roster for at least three weeks — even if released before those three weeks are over.
  • Essentially, teams are now allowed to elevate players from their practice squad to the game day roster without having to cut a member of the 53-man team. Accordingly, teams can increase from the standard 53 to 55 players while game day active squads expand from a previous 46 to 47 players (or 48 if a team carries eight offensive linemen). Any practice squad player can be elevated and automatically reverts back to the developmental roster after a game.
  • Teams can use this method of promotion on the same player no more than three times a year. If the Patriots, for example, want to have one of their practice squad players on their active game day roster for a fourth game, they will have to go the standard route of promotion, moving him to replace another player on the 53-man roster and, if necessary, exposing him to waivers if the plan is to revert him back to the practice squad.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Found some answers:

• Players cannot be signed directly from one practice squad to another. They either have to be released first or added to the active 53-man team.
  • Practice squad players are not allowed to sign with upcoming opponents, unless done so a minimum of six days before the two teams’ game (10 if the team is on a bye).
  • If a practice squad player is signed by another team, he receives a guaranteed three-week salary and will count against the 53-man roster for at least three weeks — even if released before those three weeks are over.
  • Essentially, teams are now allowed to elevate players from their practice squad to the game day roster without having to cut a member of the 53-man team. Accordingly, teams can increase from the standard 53 to 55 players while game day active squads expand from a previous 46 to 47 players (or 48 if a team carries eight offensive linemen). Any practice squad player can be elevated and automatically reverts back to the developmental roster after a game.
  • Teams can use this method of promotion on the same player no more than three times a year. If the Patriots, for example, want to have one of their practice squad players on their active game day roster for a fourth game, they will have to go the standard route of promotion, moving him to replace another player on the 53-man roster and, if necessary, exposing him to waivers if the plan is to revert him back to the practice squad.
Nice find

Hawkstorian

Reaction score

Not in the way you're suggesting. If a team has a player on their camp roster they want to keep on the practice squad, they have to expose that player to waivers first.

OP
OP
MyrtleHawk

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Not in the way you're suggesting. If a team has a player on their camp roster they want to keep on the practice squad, they have to expose that player to waivers first.
Yep, forgot about this as well. I think that's when Pete and John would jump on the player(s) they want, if they like a player that much. The last few rounds had more gems than just front 7, wouldn't be surprised if there's quite a few musical chairs for players this season.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, the only way to "protect" a player is to sign him to the 53. 🤷‍♂️