Seattle-Area Teenager Loses Job After Wearing Broncos Jersey

Guardian

Reaction score
It sounds like not returning to work was influenced by his dad, who was probably trying to get him to stand up for himself against his employer or something (which is ironic, because he'd be standing up for him in his place). The call to work apparently sounded like a resignation, which when repeated to him in the interview did not surprise him, meaning he meant it to sound that way. The kid should have displayed a little common sense and maybe take his work uniform with him in a bag or something to change into when his supervisor would eventually obviously tell him he couldn't wear a Bronco jersey.

This is all on the kid and his dad.

The kid sounds lazy, too. One of the reasons he decided not to go back in was because "it wasn't that busy."

mikeak

Reaction score
Carmon1274":ax9psqg4 said:
mikeak":ax9psqg4 said:
Kid should now understand the concept of at-will employment

What really annoys me is this new trend if parents getting involved in what people should learn to handle in their own. If the kid is old enough to take a stance and wear his broncos jersey and walk out them he is old enough to deal with the situation. Having the dad call to talk to the owner is a joke but sadly common with this generation who from many news article needs parental assistance at all walks in life

He's 17 bro not 18.

And what's wrong with parents calling for the kid?

What is wrong is the kid acting like an adult. He decides to go against the policy. He decides to leave when told to put on the uniform. Then he goes home to cry asking his parents to clean up HIS mess. There are parents today calling teachers in COLLEGE to discuss grades. There are lots of articles about this new phenomena. My dad would have told me that if I could get into the mess I could solve the mess. My kids are going to learn the same lesson and pretty sure my 6 year old knows that better than this kid....

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Carmon1274":2o36w2lt said:
mikeak":2o36w2lt said:
Kid should now understand the concept of at-will employment

What really annoys me is this new trend if parents getting involved in what people should learn to handle in their own. If the kid is old enough to take a stance and wear his broncos jersey and walk out them he is old enough to deal with the situation. Having the dad call to talk to the owner is a joke but sadly common with this generation who from many news article needs parental assistance at all walks in life

He's 17 bro not 18.

And what's wrong with parents calling for the kid?

Mothers have been known to breast feed their kids until they leave the house, but that's not very common. How about letting him start taking accountability for his own actions. It's called growing up.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I would never even hire a Broncos fan. Not after these last couple days. They clearly have bad habits and processes.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1mpwtxfq said:
HOPE AND CHANGE!! Participation trophies for everyone!!!!

My 7 year old niece was in a cheerleading event. Her team got a trophy for being the Grand Champion of the Non-Competition Division. What the hell is that?

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3mza55xq said:
He got fired because he ditched his job, not because he wore the jersey. OP, read the articles you post.

100% agree with you, when I read the title of the thread was like what a JET move b the owner and it ends up being a spoiled kid getting daddyto fight for him when all he had to do was change!

Miile High

Reaction score
jkitsune":1g9q3z2s said:
Think it's pathetic that the company invited its employees to wear jerseys, then got pissed that he wore his own team's jersey.

And think you all are ridiculously hard on a 17-year-old.

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Miile High":daxobyke said:
jkitsune":daxobyke said:
Think it's pathetic that the company invited its employees to wear jerseys, then got pissed that he wore his own team's jersey.

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

You didn't quote any truth. There was a dress code and he disobeyed it. He was then given the option to change and come back even though he was openly defiant. He wasn't fired, the kid quit.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Follow company policy, it's not hard.

As for the Broncos jersey, :34853_doh:

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Boo-hoo...you couldn't be "that guy" so you walked out on your job.

That will look great to future employers, haha.

chawx

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":g4q2to2z said:
HOPE AND CHANGE!! Participation trophies for everyone!!!!

thanks_obama-16196.gif

Pfft, get real. LOL

Miile High

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3dqy5qmd said:
Miile High":3dqy5qmd said:
jkitsune":3dqy5qmd said:

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

You didn't quote any truth. There was a dress code and he disobeyed it. He was then given the option to change and come back even though he was openly defiant. He wasn't fired, the kid quit.

k.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Seriously. Its a place of business dealing directly with the public

if I were out and about on a Sunday game day and saw a place of business supporting another team, I probably wouldn't go in. Not out of spite but for the simple reason that id assume maybe the establishment was a hangout for the other team.

So there is lost money right there. I'm sure others feel like I do.

not only that but its an arcade and laser tag joint. Probably teens who aren't known for great judgment hang out there, so another teen employee inviting conflict isn't the best idea.

he's paid to be there and wear a uniform.

this one day they were allowed to wear Seahawks gear to show that this business which relies on the public supports the local team as a member of our community.

the owner makes the rules for his open to the public business. He also pays the bills and writes the checks.

the fact that some of you need this spelled out is really freaking sad.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
Hawknballs":nd1fb715 said:
You get paid to do a job and follow the rules. The rules were, wear a uniform or a Seahawks jersey. Not wear whatever you want. The worst part of this is the kid went home to change but his dad told him not to go back. Way to instill work ethic. If you don't like the rules, son, just take your toys and go home!

this is a family place and where teenagers hang out, its obvious the business owner didn't want to set up a situation where an employee flaunting a possible enemy jersey would cause a conflict or drive away business.

please.stop.

Wow, you know an awful lot about the situation. Tell me, you know the Dad and the kid? What was the Dad's point he was trying to make that he was instilling?

I personally know the Dad and have met the kid on a few occasions (we were/are in the military together, although I'm no longer stationed there) And the guy establishes great work ethic, I have learned from experience of going on missions with him and deploying with his troops.

Personally, I wasn't going to bring it up because I knew a few of you would act ignorant and insulted by it, but tell me this, if it was a Denver kid wearing a hawks jersey, how many of you would be holding him in esteem and raising money and/or opportunities.

You guys sound like 49er fans. Ignorant and falsely entitled.

horns_n_hawks

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":vcs29jcq said:
Miile High":vcs29jcq said:
jkitsune":vcs29jcq said:

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

He's right. It was a teenage kid who did what he wanted to do. He's a fan out of state. The manager disagreed, and tried to strong-arm him into group think or
abstinence. Although you obviously have the written dress code that they provided him with for this even. Enlighten the rest of us how he was disobeying and defiant. Although I expect the classiness of your response based on your username, it really embarrasses me to be associated with fans like you.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":335m198l said:
Hawknballs":335m198l said:
You get paid to do a job and follow the rules. The rules were, wear a uniform or a Seahawks jersey. Not wear whatever you want. The worst part of this is the kid went home to change but his dad told him not to go back. Way to instill work ethic. If you don't like the rules, son, just take your toys and go home!

this is a family place and where teenagers hang out, its obvious the business owner didn't want to set up a situation where an employee flaunting a possible enemy jersey would cause a conflict or drive away business.

please.stop.

Wow, you know an awful lot about the situation. Tell me, you know the Dad and the kid? What was the Dad's point he was trying to make that he was instilling?

I personally know the Dad and have met the kid on a few occasions (we were/are in the military together, although I'm no longer stationed there) And the guy establishes great work ethic, I have learned from experience of going on missions with him and deploying with his troops.

Personally, I wasn't going to bring it up because I knew a few of you would act ignorant and insulted by it, but tell me this, if it was a Denver kid wearing a hawks jersey, how many of you would be holding him in esteem and raising money and/or opportunities.

I'm on my phone so I'm having a hard time clicking on the eye-roll emote face.

rightbench

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":tpe8151o said:
Hawknballs":tpe8151o said:

please.stop.

Did he do what his employer asked him to do? So you're telling me that the (military) dad told his son to ignore a "direct order" or mandate from a company and that's good work ethic that he's instilling?

IcedHawk

Reaction score
horns_n_hawks":2gsmv2dt said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2gsmv2dt said:
Miile High":2gsmv2dt said:
jkitsune":2gsmv2dt said:

quoted for truth...

you guys are harsh lol

He's right. It was a teenage kid who did what he wanted to do. He's a fan out of state. The manager disagreed, and tried to strong-arm him into group think or
abstinence. Although you obviously have the written dress code that they provided him with for this even. Enlighten the rest of us how he was disobeying and defiant. Although I expect the classiness of your response based on your username, it really embarrasses me to be associated with fans like you.

The company stated employees could wear Seattle Seahawk jerseys or the company uniform. per their official statement on facebook.
If that is correct, it simply sounds like the kid wanted to support his team even though the company said other jerseys were not permitted.

Latest posts