Seattle got better deal for Wilson than Texans for Watson?

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Denver spent the last seven years getting other things into place and then having the QB position drown them.

I'll believe bigskydoc's model when it happens. Otherwise good/great teams getting burned by the QB position is constant.

Try a different example. Denver has been a hot mess for 7 years for lots, and lots of reasons.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Denver is, even after trading for Russ, loading their roster with perennial standouts AND Russ is helping recruit them. That is something he found little traction with here. So if that works out for Denver and results in a championship, while we continue to slog along in a rebuilding process, how will that affect your idea of who got the best of that trade?

12th Dimension

Reaction score
Denver is, even after trading for Russ, loading their roster with perennial standouts AND Russ is helping recruit them. That is something he found little traction with here. So if that works out for Denver and results in a championship, while we continue to slog along in a rebuilding process, how will that affect your idea of who got the best of that trade?
Could you be more specific? I like the SFO players they got, but perennial standouts implies so much more. Just curious.

I hope Denver does win a championship, if Seattle doesn’t.

Somos doces

Reaction score
I've maintained for a long time that the first team to realize that QBs are expendable will be the first true legacy team under the salary cap.

Keep a healthy, mobile, rookie contract QB under center, and build the rest of the team with the saved money. Every few years, go out and get another rookie, either through the draft or through trade. If you luck into a 3rd round Wilson, trade him for a king's ransom when his rookie contract is about to run out. Don't try to stretch for a franchise guy, just get a guy that is good enough.

I have yet to see a good organization try it, but I think it could be done successfully.

Franchise QBs are overrated UNLESS their primary goal is winning multiple Super Bowls, and they are willing to sacrifice the record setting contract. Obviously, a Brady, or a Rodgers, on a 15% of the cap contract is best, but that is even more rare than a true "franchise" guy in the draft.

#whynotus
I mean, this isn't how the past few Super Bowls have been won, but I'm definitely up for seeing a new way of doing things succeed for a while.

AgentDib

Reaction score
good/great teams getting burned by the QB position is constant
Much of this is just how hard it is to win the Super Bowl every year.

You could just as easily turn that around to say that teams with good/great QBs are burned every year by the lack of talent elsewhere. I didn't see anybody ranking Stafford as a top 5 QB this year, yet he won a ring on a more complete team while the QBs people ranked ahead of him all lost.

That's not to say that I agree with the rookie QB only strategy either, only that it's really easy to find examples of any strategy not winning the Super Bowl because it's an unlikely thing to happen even if your team is good.

hinton

Reaction score
Despite the exhausting narrative here where many seem to think JC and PC have suddenly become decrepit, senile old men that have no clue what they are doing, it actually seems to me that they may just still have something left in the tank.
it's tiresome isn't it?

I've not been posting much lately because the same 5-10 people triggered by anything PC/JS do (or anything other than staunch praise for RW) PMS all over every thread.

What we got back for RW seems fair, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Seahawks build the next version over the next few years.

TAB420

Reaction score
Could you be more specific? I like the SFO players they got, but perennial standouts implies so much more. Just curious.

I hope Denver does win a championship, if Seattle doesn’t.
You want lower draft picks next year?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Math is hard. Why in the world would anyone want Denver to win games?? More Denver losses = better draft picks for Seattle. Hello, McFly........

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Math is hard. Why in the world would anyone want Denver to win games?? More Denver losses = better draft picks for Seattle. Hello, McFly........
I hope Denver goes 0-17 and it has nothing to do with draft picks :)

The really petty part of me hopes Russ blames Pete and starts talking about his legacy some more, but I'm in therapy to get over that immature part of my persona lol