Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Brian Schmetzer would do well. He was a proven coach for the Sounders before they entered MLS and I think if a change is made, he could fit in nicely. Lagerway has worked with Kreis so I believe Kreis would be the odds on favorite to take over if a change is made.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1p3xnkb2 said:
Brian Schmetzer would do well. He was a proven coach for the Sounders before they entered MLS and I think if a change is made, he could fit in nicely. Lagerway has worked with Kreis so I believe Kreis would be the odds on favorite to take over if a change is made.

As much as I appreciate and admire Schmetzer for what he's meant to Seattle soccer and now the Sounders, I'd like us to dream bigger if we're replacing Sigi.

Schmetzer's 53, why hasn't he gotten a managing gig elsewhere if he's such a good candidate?

53 seems really old to begin your professional manager career, even if it is with your hometown club. For as much money as the Sounders can throw at managerial candidates, I'd like a more experienced and dynamic manager.

Smurf

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ftc769w said:
hawkfan68":1ftc769w said:

As much as I appreciate and admire Schmetzer for what he's meant to Seattle soccer and now the Sounders, I'd like us to dream bigger if we're replacing Sigi.

Schmetzer's 53, why hasn't he gotten a managing gig elsewhere if he's such a good candidate?

53 seems really old to begin your professional manager career, even if it is with your hometown club. For as much money as the Sounders can throw at managerial candidates, I'd like a more experienced and dynamic manager.

To my knowledge, Schmetzer has turned down 3 MLS coaching gigs to keep his role with the sounders. If he leave's, he wants more control than is being offered elsewhere.

That said, I don't think he's a big enough change from Sigi to yield the results we require.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Just because Schmetzer lacks MLS managing experience doesn't mean he is "new". He's been in coaching since 1995 and has managed the Sounders in USL plus won US Open competitions (highest they went was semifinals but still pretty good for a A-League team) with them. He managed and helped develop guys like -

Herculez Gomez
Sebastan Le Toux
Roger Levesque
Taylor Graham
Marc Hahnemann
Cam Weaver
Zach Scott
Brian Ching

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3uzp124w said:
Just because Schmetzer lacks MLS managing experience doesn't mean he is "new". He's been in coaching since 1995 and has managed the Sounders in USL plus won US Open competitions (highest they went was semifinals but still pretty good for a A-League team) with them. He managed and helped develop guys like -

Herculez Gomez
Sebastan Le Toux
Roger Levesque
Taylor Graham
Marc Hahnemann
Cam Weaver
Zach Scott
Brian Ching

Schmetzer is most certainly qualified, but if ownership and Lagerwey indeed do move on from Sigi, there's no way they're going to replace him with Sigi Jr.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3fwszsyi said:

Herculez Gomez
Sebastan Le Toux
Roger Levesque
Taylor Graham
Marc Hahnemann
Cam Weaver
Zach Scott
Brian Ching

No offense... but that's not a list I'd get excited to put on my resume.. Le Toux, maybe. the rest (outside the GK) just reflect the stagnation of both US and Sounders soccer as a whole.

knownone

Reaction score
There have been rumors floating around that Seattle was trying to sign 21 year old winger, Hector Villalba in the summer window, and will most likely target him in the winter window. He looks like the type of player Smurf and Si have been clamoring for, Yedlin level pace, great first touch... I really hope this one is true.[youtube]3C6yNoc-k28[/youtube]

I'm still on the fence about next season. I don't blame Sigi, but I'd love to see us go in a different direction. I don't know how I feel about Jason Kreis, he's never really shown to be much more than a system coach...

Smurf

Reaction score
Grant Wahl is reporting that the Sounders are actively shopping Osvaldo Alonso around MLS looking for trade suitors.

Alonso is 30, on a 2 year guaranteed contract that pays 800k a year, and has been bit by the injury bug.

The changes are coming fellas.

Also, tonight is the annual season ticket holder business meeting held at the paramount. There will be four people representing the Sounders to the fan base, and Sigi isn't one of them. Joe Roth, Adrian Hanauer, Bart Wiley, and Garth Lagerway will be there.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of that meeting, which features an open Q&A.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":1uthevpl said:
There have been rumors floating around that Seattle was trying to sign 21 year old winger, Hector Villalba in the summer window, and will most likely target him in the winter window. He looks like the type of player Smurf and Si have been clamoring for, Yedlin level pace, great first touch... I really hope this one is true.

I'm still on the fence about next season. I don't blame Sigi, but I'd love to see us go in a different direction. I don't know how I feel about Jason Kreis, he's never really shown to be much more than a system coach...

I like the look of him. Good, pacey, creative player. What the MLS needs more of, and really, a great place to be looking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smurf":3fk7m8ot said:
Grant Wahl is reporting that the Sounders are actively shopping Osvaldo Alonso around MLS looking for trade suitors.

Alonso is 30, on a 2 year guaranteed contract that pays 800k a year, and has been bit by the injury bug.

The changes are coming fellas.

Also, tonight is the annual season ticket holder business meeting held at the paramount. There will be four people representing the Sounders to the fan base, and Sigi isn't one of them. Joe Roth, Adrian Hanauer, Bart Wiley, and Garth Lagerway will be there.

Should be interesting to see what comes out of that meeting, which features an open Q&A.

As much as I love Ozzie, I think it's time. He's too often injured now to support his salary, and as we found out in the playoffs we need a more dependable, preferably younger and healthier defensive mid.

Andy Rose proved that life with an injured Ozzie is a horrible horrible thing.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Its been confirmed Sigi is staying. No doubt we'll win the open cup and SS next year and crash and burn in the play offs as per every other year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah honestly I was hoping for a managerial change, if for no other reason than to get some fresh energy and excitement for 2016.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":16xdfk8x said:
Sounders prospect Oalex Anderson is having a decent game tonight for St. Vincent & Grenadines.
He is. However with Sigi coming back he probably never sees the pitch in Seattle.