Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Seabhac":3iyy3a3h said:
Try the mensa board if you want intellectual prowess

You are the one whining and crying. Roger that. I am sure that it makes sense to you. I eagerly await your justification.

Seabhac

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1f6nnryc said:
Seabhac":1f6nnryc said:

You are the one whining and crying. Roger that. I am sure that it makes sense to you. I eagerly await your justification.

Just quit being a troll - and don't confuse Passion with whining - that's all

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Seabhac":l11re3e5 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":l11re3e5 said:
Seabhac":l11re3e5 said:

There was nothing in your post that contained passion, other than the whining of course. In your defense, it was very passionate whining.

Seabhac

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":svfhmq4w said:
Seabhac":svfhmq4w said:
CurryStopstheRuns":svfhmq4w said:
Seabhac":svfhmq4w said:

There was nothing in your post that contained passion, other than the whining of course. In your defense, it was very passionate whining.

Troll

knownone

Reaction score
Is there anything to the Julian Green to Seattle rumors? I heard this while leaving the Man U game and laughed it off. However, It does appear that Julian Green has MLS interest (according to the MLS website lol) the only other shred of evidence I could find is the Sigi Schmid comments about playing phone tag and the public assumption that the player was German. Has anyone heard or seen anything?

As much as I'd love to have both Green and Morris on the wings, the move makes very little sense for him, unless his attitude has become so toxic that no other Bundesliga team wants him.

Smurf

Reaction score
knownone":27jghmjk said:
Is there anything to the Julian Green to Seattle rumors? I heard this while leaving the Man U game and laughed it off. However, It does appear that Julian Green has MLS interest (according to the MLS website lol) the only other shred of evidence I could find is the Sigi Schmid comments about playing phone tag and the public assumption that the player was German. Has anyone heard or seen anything?

As much as I'd love to have both Green and Morris on the wings, the move makes very little sense for him, unless his attitude has become so toxic that no other Bundesliga team wants him.

First I've heard his name and Seattle in the same sentence.

Green seems determined to make Bayern work (and he's out of his mind for thinking so).

Smurf

Reaction score
Dear Sigi,

Please never, ever, ever, play a single striker up top.

I understand that your best 11 available players includes, at best, 1 player capable of playing the striker position...but thus far they have proved that they are incapable of doing any of the short list of things required for a lone striker.

1. They can't hold the ball up.
2. They can't occupy both CB's.
3. They can't score goals.

You have tried a variety of players in this roll....and....well....Round Hole. Square Peg.

It is not the striker that needs to be changed. It is the formation. Revert to a classic 442. Give chances to young players willing to run (Darwin Jones). Yes, I know this means you have to trust your youth, and bench a player that is deserving of playing time....but the simple fact is playing the best 11 players has not yielded results.

I appreciate that you view Gonzalo Pineda and Andy Rose as valuable members of the midfield, I have to disagree that they are worthy of changing the shape of the team to wedge them into the line up. It isn't working. It isn't going to work. The inclusion of these players is hindering our ability to attack with pace, and conviction.

When the best performing players on the team for the last 3 weeks have been a Veteran RB and a rookie CM (played out of position) It is time to revisit the concepts of the tactics. While Mears and Roldan are valuable members of the team, those are 2 players that should not being the top of the team chart in terms of match rating week in and week out.

While I acknowledge that your 5 midfielders are most likely better players than a second strike option...I think squeezing all 5 into the field is hurting our ability seize valuable points in the middle of the summer.

I would very much like to request the following lineup, in a classic 442, for our next match.

Neagle, Jones
Pappa, Alonso, Friberg, Roldan
Remick, Scott, Marshall, Mears

I understand that this leaves players like Andy Rose, Gonzalo Pineda, and Chad Barrett on the bench....but quite frankly, they belong there.

With love,
Smurf

Seabhac

Reaction score
Smurf - Agree with every thing you're saying here. Last night was so frustrating - lots of nice crosses coming in with no striker attacking the post. No Darwin Jones ? Sad fact of the matter is that we lack the killer touch when we are missing both our star DPs.

At the risk of drawing trolls (Curry - you know who I am talking about) We have now dropped 15 points since the USOC game - and its likely that we may lose one more before the home game V Whitecaps (when presumably we will be back to full strength) Of course will probably make it to the playoffs - this year a top 6 finish will be enough. August needs to be a strong month.

Lagerway saying that we will not take advantage of the new targeted allocation money until next season is not good news. Teams like Chicago are making moves for the likes of Drogba and we are sitting on our hands? The Sounders are the "biggest" club in the league. Surely we can bring in another DP like LA just did.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Are you the biggest club in the league? Are they even the "face" of the MLS any more?

Are the Sounders overvalued on here based on your home field? Fanbases elsewhere are equally as strong, growing and are secure in beautiful soccer only facilities. They are attracting the Euro stars. They are attracting the USMNT matches and internationals.

Having the largest home crowd because you play in a football stadium may not be the right measure any longer.

Just a thought. Maybe the Sounders as a brand have peaked?

Seabhac

Reaction score
Sounders are still the biggest club in the league - But you are spot on - it may not last for long more.
That's why there should be a sense of urgency to grab our first MLS cup.

As for the Stadium - it was build for the Sounders as much as the Seahawks. The only thing that needs to change is the playing surface. There is a lot more than available seats stopping other clubs from getting 40K attendance week in week out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I would suggest the stadium was built with the hope soccer would be played there...but not "for" the Sounders as much as the Seahawks. Stretch that is.

I think you'd be a bit surprised how they are viewed outside of Seattle. I don't think many in LA, Chicago, KC view them as the biggest. The colored papers and staged chants aren't as awe inspiring across the landscape as they once were.

Franchises are not putting teams in football stadiums because they prefer the intimacy of enclosed parks. Sporting park is a perfect example. That community would have no issues filling up Arrowhead. And it's more than that...Sporting alone has 18 affiliated clubs across the Midwest (including Oklahoma and Nebraska), a branded rugby unit that travels to Europe, semi pro mens league and a marketing relationship in Europe. They are marketing well...and that's without a Euro star. Id think NYFC and LA must be pushing themselves outside the lower 48

Anyways, point is that the Sounders brand seems to be fading (albeit from the top). Not a bad thing. It means other clubs are working hard. Sounders model may need a little shake up. Probably need a cup

Seabhac

Reaction score
Uncle Si":15mfo9ey said:
I would suggest the stadium was built with the hope soccer would be played there...but not "for" the Sounders as much as the Seahawks. Stretch that is.

I think you'd be a bit surprised how they are viewed outside of Seattle. I don't think many in LA, Chicago, KC view them as the biggest. The colored papers and staged chants aren't as awe inspiring across the landscape as they once were.

Franchises are not putting teams in football stadiums because they prefer the intimacy of enclosed parks. Sporting park is a perfect example. That community would have no issues filling up Arrowhead. And it's more than that...Sporting alone has 18 affiliated clubs across the Midwest (including Oklahoma and Nebraska), a branded rugby unit that travels to Europe, semi pro mens league and a marketing relationship in Europe. They are marketing well...and that's without a Euro star. Id think NYFC and LA must be pushing themselves outside the lower 48

Anyways, point is that the Sounders brand seems to be fading (albeit from the top). Not a bad thing. It means other clubs are working hard. Sounders model may need a little shake up. Probably need a cup

For your reading pleasure Si - Thought you would have known about the promise of MLS when the stadium was being funded.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/14/how-soccer-saved-the-seattle-seahawks

Yes - The Sounders need:

* MLS Cup
* European DP (for days like these)
* Non ECS Supporters groups to take atmosphere to next level (I don't know if Americans are afraid to sing unless there is someone with a megaphone directing them)

Si - I think you know me well enough by now - Full blown professional football in the USA is my dream. It's beginning to happen. The culture is changing.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Smurf":40i9hcc8 said:
Dear Sigi,

Please never, ever, ever, play a single striker up top.

I understand that your best 11 available players includes, at best, 1 player capable of playing the striker position...but thus far they have proved that they are incapable of doing any of the short list of things required for a lone striker.

1. They can't hold the ball up.
2. They can't occupy both CB's.
3. They can't score goals.

You have tried a variety of players in this roll....and....well....Round Hole. Square Peg.

It is not the striker that needs to be changed. It is the formation. Revert to a classic 442. Give chances to young players willing to run (Darwin Jones). Yes, I know this means you have to trust your youth, and bench a player that is deserving of playing time....but the simple fact is playing the best 11 players has not yielded results.

I appreciate that you view Gonzalo Pineda and Andy Rose as valuable members of the midfield, I have to disagree that they are worthy of changing the shape of the team to wedge them into the line up. It isn't working. It isn't going to work. The inclusion of these players is hindering our ability to attack with pace, and conviction.

When the best performing players on the team for the last 3 weeks have been a Veteran RB and a rookie CM (played out of position) It is time to revisit the concepts of the tactics. While Mears and Roldan are valuable members of the team, those are 2 players that should not being the top of the team chart in terms of match rating week in and week out.

While I acknowledge that your 5 midfielders are most likely better players than a second strike option...I think squeezing all 5 into the field is hurting our ability seize valuable points in the middle of the summer.

I would very much like to request the following lineup, in a classic 442, for our next match.

Neagle, Jones
Pappa, Alonso, Friberg, Roldan
Remick, Scott, Marshall, Mears

I understand that this leaves players like Andy Rose, Gonzalo Pineda, and Chad Barrett on the bench....but quite frankly, they belong there.

With love,
Smurf

Agreed. Even a 4-3-3 would be better. Neagle - Barrett - Pappa or Lowe on top. Why doesn't Sigi like the 4-3-3 formation is puzzling to me, especially considering the lack of scoring lately. You'd think he'd want more pressure up front. Right now his lineup isn't doing that.

In terms of roster adjustments, I'd rather bring in another forward and drop Rose or Azira, maybe even both. Especially now that they have Friberg in fold. Should have kept Cooper over either of those guys (Rose and Azira). They have way too many midfielders on this team and not enough forwards. Thus far, Lagerway hasn't impressed me one bit with his roster building strategy. Maybe that will change but right now, IMO, it leaves much to be desired.

knownone

Reaction score
Seabhac":98bxlw2x said:
Lagerway saying that we will not take advantage of the new targeted allocation money until next season is not good news. Teams like Chicago are making moves for the likes of Drogba and we are sitting on our hands? The Sounders are the "biggest" club in the league. Surely we can bring in another DP like LA just did.
To be fair Lagerway never said we will not take advantage of TAM this year, he said they had 3 options they were looking into and if those fell through they wouldn't make a move just to make a move.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":2et21kbz said:
Uncle Si":2et21kbz said:

For your reading pleasure Si - Thought you would have known about the promise of MLS when the stadium was being funded.
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/14/how-soccer-saved-the-seattle-seahawks

Yes - The Sounders need:

* MLS Cup
* Non ECS Supporters groups to take atmosphere to next level (I don't know if Americans are afraid to sing unless there is someone with a megaphone directing them)

Si - I think you know me well enough by now - Full blown professional football in the USA is my dream. It's beginning to happen. The culture is changing.

Those are some dots without connections in that article... but sure, soccer saved the Seahawks. I don't think it matters in the end. Once Paul Allen came in for the Seahawks, they werent' going anywhere. He just didn't want to pony up for the stadium on his own. I do think the Sounders overvalue themselves in the current soccer environment.

Soccer is full blown already, with a league full of professional players. The culture changed years ago. Sounders were a big part of that. My point (and maybe its a suggestion) is that to recognize it would mean looking beyond the home support at Century Link.

One thing that has always concerned me about the MLS is that it will go the way of the NASL. There are so many viewing options for Americans that if interest is lost, it's very tough to gain back. That's why I really appreciate what Sporting have done with their park. it will never be empty.

Soccer itself is the most popular sport in the world, and I think it would surprise alot of the football fans on here just how popular the sport is here. The issue is that 99% of American soccer fans are interested in the big Euro leagues and their players and the US Men's National team. Interest in the MLS itself is what will remain the challenge. Can they continue to capitalize on the rising popularity of the sport?

Seabhac

Reaction score
Uncle Si":29yvekit said:
Seabhac":29yvekit said:
Uncle Si":29yvekit said:

Yes - The Sounders need:

* MLS Cup

Those are some dots without connections in that article... but sure, soccer saved the Seahawks. I don't think it matters in the end. Once Paul Allen came in for the Seahawks, they werent' going anywhere. He just didn't want to pony up for the stadium on his own. I do think the Sounders overvalue themselves in the current soccer environment.

Soccer is full blown already, with a league full of professional players. The culture changed years ago. Sounders were a big part of that. My point (and maybe its a suggestion) is that to recognize it would mean looking beyond the home support at Century Link.

One thing that has always concerned me about the MLS is that it will go the way of the NASL. There are so many viewing options for Americans that if interest is lost, it's very tough to gain back. That's why I really appreciate what Sporting have done with their park. it will never be empty.

Soccer itself is the most popular sport in the world, and I think it would surprise alot of the football fans on here just how popular the sport is here. The issue is that 99% of American soccer fans are interested in the big Euro leagues and their players and the US Men's National team. Interest in the MLS itself is what will remain the challenge. Can they continue to capitalize on the rising popularity of the sport?

I would be in favor of redeveloping Memorial Stadium into a 40,000 seater home for the Sounders. What shouldn't happen is a move to Renton or Bellevue (both Cities would be delighted to host the Sounders)
What makes the Sounders different is the game day atmosphere (however contrived) and you lose that if you put it in the 'burbs.

The MLS is only a couple of steps away from the big time now. It is becoming a popular destination for big time players to finish their careers. (Kevin Doyle tore the Sounders apart on Saturday night - I f**kin knew he would).

I support the league because I want it to succeed on all fronts. If Sporting are now taking the mantle of the best club - then good for them. I want a day out at the football to be as "special" as an NFL game. That's a ways off still.

The fans who support the big Euro Clubs only - are missing out on the "grass roots" movement here in the states. Many Man U fans on Friday night were only Man U fans because they were wearing the kit. Didn't know the history of the club or the many famous former players who were milling about. Didn't know the songs etc. Club America fans were getting a kick out of how "plastic" they were and were rightly taking the piss.

Don't be to much of a Euro snob to support your local team - that's my message.

It's been an Interesting journey since I saw my first US Soccer game - Chicago Sting at Wrigley field - all those years ago.

Seabhac

Reaction score
knownone":1qqiry5d said:
Seabhac":1qqiry5d said:
To be fair Lagerway never said we will not take advantage of TAM this year, he said they had 3 options they were looking into and if those fell through they wouldn't make a move just to make a move.

Understood - But Seven losses in Nine Games (13 Goals against vs 3 Goals for) might be a good time to consider a move.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":3h7dmnq4 said:
Uncle Si":3h7dmnq4 said:
Seabhac":3h7dmnq4 said:
Uncle Si":3h7dmnq4 said:

Yes - The Sounders need:

* MLS Cup

I would be in favor of redeveloping Memorial Stadium into a 40,000 seater home for the Sounders. What shouldn't happen is a move to Renton or Bellevue (both Cities would be delighted to host the Sounders)
What makes the Sounders different is the game day atmosphere (however contrived) and you lose that if you put it in the 'burbs.

The MLS is only a couple of steps away from the big time now. It is becoming a popular destination for big time players to finish their careers. (Kevin Doyle tore the Sounders apart on Saturday night - I f**kin knew he would).

I support the league because I want it to succeed on all fronts. If Sporting are now taking the mantle of the best club - then good for them. I want a day out at the football to be as "special" as an NFL game. That's a ways off still.

The fans who support the big Euro Clubs only - are missing out on the "grass roots" movement here in the states. Many Man U fans on Friday night were only Man U fans because they were wearing the kit. Didn't know the history of the club or the many famous former players who were milling about. Didn't know the songs etc. Club America fans were getting a kick out of how "plastic" they were and were rightly taking the piss.

Don't be to much of a Euro snob to support your local team - that's my message.

It's been an Interesting journey since I saw my first US Soccer game - Chicago Sting at Wrigley field - all those years ago.

Solid post

And I don't know about Sporting leading any popularity races. I think that would go to LA. Im just more familiar with their operations

Latest posts