Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
:thirishdrinkers:

Seattle Sounders FC midfielder Marco Pappa was arrested Sunday for driving under the influence and speeding, the team announced Monday.

Pappa will undergo an assessment by Major League Soccer’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health (SABH) Program doctors, pursuant to the SABH policy, the team added.

The Sounders midfielder is not eligible to participate in any competition until that assessment is complete and he is cleared for participation by the SABH Program doctors and Major League Soccer completes its investigation.

http://q13fox.com/2015/07/20/seattle-so ... -speeding/

knownone

Reaction score
Seabhac":19ftoaf0 said:
knownone":19ftoaf0 said:
Seabhac":19ftoaf0 said:
Lagerway saying that we will not take advantage of the new targeted allocation money until next season is not good news. Teams like Chicago are making moves for the likes of Drogba and we are sitting on our hands? The Sounders are the "biggest" club in the league. Surely we can bring in another DP like LA just did.
To be fair Lagerway never said we will not take advantage of TAM this year, he said they had 3 options they were looking into and if those fell through they wouldn't make a move just to make a move.

Understood - But Seven losses in Nine Games (13 Goals against vs 3 Goals for) might be a good time to consider a move.
I'm 100% with you. I can understand the Sounders don't want to rush into another mistake like Tiffert. With that said, I think this is their only opportunity to bring in another Oba Martins level talent without much backlash from fans who've just seen LA sign Dos Santos and Gerrard. If they wait until the winter window they damn well better bring in someone good, Keisuke Honda, Chicharito...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wonder if the Union would be willing to part with Sebastien Le Toux. Maybe they would be interested in Rose and a future draft pick for Le Toux. Le Toux could be a good band-aid for the current situation. Or maybe explore bringing Herculez Gomez from Mexico.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Papa out for DUI
Timbers sign Argentinian Lucas Milano as DP using TAM

We really need our run of luck to change.......

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seabhac":1krflu7k said:

QFT

We'll definitely play better once Clint and Brad are back, along with Oba finally getting healthy. Just have to hope we don't fall too far back points wise to hang with the top clubs. LA now looks like a freaking juggernaut with Gerrard and now dos Santos.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3c6lhcry said:
Seabhac":3c6lhcry said:

QFT

We'll definitely play better once Clint and Brad are back, along with Oba finally getting healthy. Just have to hope we don't fall too far back points wise to hang with the top clubs. LA now looks like a freaking juggernaut with Gerrard and now dos Santos.

Lets hope Klinsmann rests Dempsey and Evans Saturday so they will be fit for Whitecaps home and away.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Dempsey and Evans not starting for the US team today. So dumb having a 3rd place game for a competition played every two years.

Bring our boys home!

I think one telling thing over the past month is that our academy players aren't good enough, especially the forwards. Lagerway alluded to it but the fact that Neagle (albeit not often) is the only forward player scoring is telling.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1akkuzqn said:
1. Why the hell is there a 3rd/4th place match in the Gold Cup?
2. Why the hell is Dempsey playing in it when we desperately need him here?

He's not. Both him and Evans are missing yet another match for their desperately struggling club so that they can sit on the bench for the 3rd place match in the Gold Cup.

So damn frustrated right now...

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Chapow":1qn3oc14 said:
Sgt. Largent":1qn3oc14 said:
1. Why the hell is there a 3rd/4th place match in the Gold Cup?
2. Why the hell is Dempsey playing in it when we desperately need him here?

He's not. Both him and Evans are missing yet another match for their desperately struggling club so that they can sit on the bench for the 3rd place match in the Gold Cup.

So damn frustrated right now...

The way this season is going Dempsey will no doubt get injured in the 93rd minute of this weeks all star game after playing the full game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
With the exception of Martins, Dempsey, Pappa, Marshall, and Alonso, it's surprising how poor quality the rest of the Sounders team is. Guys like Rose, Neagle, Gonzalez, Barrett, etc have been on the squad for a number of years yet there's no noticeable improvement in their play. You would think they would get better each year. They haven't, IMO. Thus when guys like Dempsey and Martins are out, the team suffers. Lack of player development is appalling. Especially when you consider their technical staff includes Brian Schmetzer, Chris Henderson, etc.

knownone

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1bwtltgw said:
With the exception of Martins, Dempsey, Pappa, Marshall, and Alonso, it's surprising how poor quality the rest of the Sounders team is. Guys like Rose, Neagle, Gonzalez, Barrett, etc have been on the squad for a number of years yet there's no noticeable improvement in their play. You would think they would get better each year. They haven't, IMO. Thus when guys like Dempsey and Martins are out, the team suffers. Lack of player development is appalling. Especially when you consider their technical staff includes Brian Schmetzer, Chris Helnderson, etc.
Oh boy... I don't think you should count on Leo getting better each year at this stage of his career, he's almost 35. That's true for Neagle and Barrett as well once you get into your late 20's in most cases you pretty much are what you are. That said, I understand where you are coming from, as much as Rose has improved in the last 3 years he's still to slow and awkward to be relied upon especially out wide. Then there is the question of all of this young talent we've been hearing about all summer who seemingly can't beat out 2 guys who've combined for what 1 goal in 9 matches?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
knownone":20j3e5uc said:
hawkfan68":20j3e5uc said:
With the exception of Martins, Dempsey, Pappa, Marshall, and Alonso, it's surprising how poor quality the rest of the Sounders team is. Guys like Rose, Neagle, Gonzalez, Barrett, etc have been on the squad for a number of years yet there's no noticeable improvement in their play. You would think they would get better each year. They haven't, IMO. Thus when guys like Dempsey and Martins are out, the team suffers. Lack of player development is appalling. Especially when you consider their technical staff includes Brian Schmetzer, Chris Helnderson, etc.
Oh boy... I don't think you should count on Leo getting better each year at this stage of his career, he's almost 35. That's true for Neagle and Barrett as well once you get into your late 20's in most cases you pretty much are what you are. That said, I understand where you are coming from, as much as Rose has improved in the last 3 years he's still to slow and awkward to be relied upon especially out wide. Then there is the question of all of this young talent we've been hearing about all summer who seemingly can't beat out 2 guys who've combined for what 1 goal in 9 matches?

More of my point with Neagle, Barrett, and Gonzalez is they haven't markedly improved since becoming a member of SoundersFC. I get that at this stage of their careers that may be expecting too much. Is Neagle that much better than he was when he first started, how about Gonzalez, or anyone else on the team. Has Martins or Dempsey gotten better? They were already good. But my point is more on the coaching these guys are receiving....has it helped them improve? Especially the younger guys. Maybe a change needs to start there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1fgqwbjz said:
More of my point with Neagle, Barrett, and Gonzalez is they haven't markedly improved since becoming a member of SoundersFC. I get that at this stage of their careers that may be expecting too much. Is Neagle that much better than he was when he first started, how about Gonzalez, or anyone else on the team. Has Martins or Dempsey gotten better? They were already good. But my point is more on the coaching these guys are receiving....has it helped them improve? Especially the younger guys. Maybe a change needs to start there.

How is coaching suppose to improve two over the hill vets in Gonzo and Barrett and and a mediocre winger with HUGE deficiencies in his game? Neagle will never be anything more than an average bench winger that might give you some pace and work rate late match. No matter how much you coach him up, just too many issues with his technical, crossing, shooting and decision making skills.

I'm realistic when it comes to the MLS, the salary cap hamstrings ANY team without it's stars, let alone for almost an entire month. It's not coaching, it's not training............it's talent.

Sigi sure looks good when Brad, Clint, Oba, Frei and Ozzie are all healthy and starting.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2btmqpt9 said:
hawkfan68":2btmqpt9 said:

How is coaching suppose to improve two over the hill vets in Gonzo and Barrett and and a mediocre winger with HUGE deficiencies in his game? Neagle will never be anything more than an average bench winger that might give you some pace and work rate late match. No matter how much you coach him up, just too many issues with his technical, crossing, shooting and decision making skills.

I'm realistic when it comes to the MLS, the salary cap hamstrings ANY team without it's stars, let alone for almost an entire month. It's not coaching, it's not training............it's talent.

Sigi sure looks good when Brad, Clint, Oba, Frei and Ozzie are all healthy and starting.

You missed my point completely but that's ok. First of all, Neagle has been a Sounder for 90% of his career. Schmid has been the coach of the Sounders since day 1. Good coaches find a way to build talent. There are plenty of less talented teams doing better than the Sounders. Schmid is a good coach but maybe the young guys aren't getting his message. If he can only win with superstars, then he's not the right coach to build a core young team. That's all I'm saying. He's part of the brain team who brought these players in. Do you really think that Schmid had no part in getting these players in the first place? The focus should be on building the core of young players. That's how MLS will be successful. There will be a time to move away from the Martins, Dempsey, Alonso's, etc. Which of the young guys have shown enough to take over? That's my point. Examples of teams built using a solid young core....Vancouver and KC.

knownone

Reaction score
hawkfan68":10muvpui said:
You missed my point compeletly but that's ok. First of all, Neagle has been a Sounder for 90% of his career. Schmid has been the coach of the Sounders since day 1. Good coaches find a way to build talent. There are plenty of less talented teams doing better than the Sounders. Schmid is a good coach but maybe the young guys aren't getting his message. If he can only win with superstars, then he's not the right coach to build a core young team. That's all I'm saying. He's part of the brain team who brought these players in. Do you really think that Schmid had no part in getting these players in the first place? The focus should be on building the core of young players. That's how MLS will be successful. There will be a time to move away from the Martins, Dempsey, Alonso's, etc. Which of the young guys have shown enough to take over? That's my point. Examples of teams built using a solid young core....Vancouver and KC.
Your point in the context of world football doesn't make any sense. Would it be nice to develop a young guy who can step in and take over for Clint Dempsey, yeah that'd be awesome... The problem is these players are incredibly rare in MLS and it takes far more than a first team coach to develop these players. It takes natural talent and a lifetime of good coaching to get players like Dempsey.

I doubt SKC would win many games without Zusi, Benny and Dwyer. That's not even the equivalent to what Seattle has been missing these last 4 weeks so let's take out Opara and Besler as well. How many games does that Solid core win them? Not much. Oh and by the way, Only Besler and Zusi were truly developed by Vermes, most of SKC's productive starters were brought in from else where.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":aqo3qqen said:
Sgt. Largent":aqo3qqen said:
hawkfan68":aqo3qqen said:

You missed my point completely but that's ok. First of all, Neagle has been a Sounder for 90% of his career. Schmid has been the coach of the Sounders since day 1. Good coaches find a way to build talent. There are plenty of less talented teams doing better than the Sounders. Schmid is a good coach but maybe the young guys aren't getting his message. If he can only win with superstars, then he's not the right coach to build a core young team. That's all I'm saying. He's part of the brain team who brought these players in. Do you really think that Schmid had no part in getting these players in the first place? The focus should be on building the core of young players. That's how MLS will be successful. There will be a time to move away from the Martins, Dempsey, Alonso's, etc. Which of the young guys have shown enough to take over? That's my point. Examples of teams built using a solid young core....Vancouver and KC.

You mean young guys like Fredy Montero, Ozzie Alonso and Deandre Yedlin?

Neagle has had more than enough time to develop in the Sounders system, which is a top 2-3 MLS system as far as coaching, facilities, trainers, elite talent around him.........and most of all opportunity.

Sigi's job, as is the job of any professional manager or coach is to win. Period. Development is something that happens on the training pitch, it's up to the player to make the most of that opportunity when the times comes. Of which Neagle has had plenty of.

Latest posts