Seifert's Take on the Seahawks' Offensive Performance

sc85sis

Reaction score
brimsalabim":154raihk said:
What message did Pete send when he punted on 4th and inches? Russell is just executing the game plan.
That it was ridiculously windy and he wasn't willing to make the same mistake Payton did--especially when he trusts his defense.

Seeker

Reaction score
Looked like NFL playoffs in the rain to me, and not just regular rain REAL rainstorm (the kind that delayed the niners game) and wind. Deferring at the beginning of the game ended up helping us in the fourth as we were playing with the wind at our backs.
Losing percy, a guy who i think was a bigger part of our gameplan this week than pete lead on, also had an impact. Tate dropping everything after that head hit (i hope he's okay, he geniunely did not look right after that dirty little hit. like he was gonna be like "HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHE!!!!!" in the locker room).

however,

BEASTMODE!!

This is why a commit to the run is important.

kujohawk

Reaction score
purpleworld":26d121oq said:
What did Brady do? 13/25 for 198...not overwhelming either, but he had 0 int's. What did Blount do? 24 carries for 166....sounds a lot like Lynch's day. Playoff football is about turnovers, defense, and controlling the ball with the ground game....especially in the weather conditions that the game was played in on sunday! We played it the way it needed to be played to get the win....and that is ALL that matters!
This :thirishdrinkers:

purpleworld

Reaction score
razor150 wrote:
Defensively this team is peaking. Offensively this team has been in serious decline for awhile. Teams have figured our offense out and there have been no adjustments to turn things around. Infact it looks like the offense has become more conservative as time has gone by. They seem to be playing to not be the reason we lose, and that isn't a winning formula.

purpleworld wrote:
except, we KEEP winning, hmmmmm.....

razor150 wrote
Didn't work well against the 49ers and Cards, with the 49ers being a potential team we could be facing next week. The Panthers are another team that could beat us if the offense continues to lay eggs on the field like this. Very rarely does a team with an offense that has been playing this consistently bad win a Superbowl, much less make it to one. It isn't like this game is an anomaly since this is what Russell Wilson and the offense has looked like for over a month. Which BTW includes 2 of our 3 losses.

purpleworld wrote:
26-9 over the last 2 years playing this type of football....that IS a winning forumula! We'd have beaten the 49ers less the late run by Gore at the end....at their house btw. Control the clock, run the ball, avoid turnovers, and play great defense....that is what this team does, and has done for 2 years now.....and, we CAN win a SB this way too!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
drdiags":qvqpdq8g said:
It was a pretty edgy article. Probably not something I want to read as a Seahawks fan but he is entitled to his opinion. Seems like coming out of the first Saints game, the offense has had a tough time. The passing game was fine with the same WRs the team has now in the Saints game but since then things have been tough.

The early Titans, Panthers, 9ers, Texans and Rams games had some of the same issues but like others I was hoping it was the OL. At this point I have no clue. I think the offense could do enough to win next week but I would sure like to see better rhythm out of them going forward.
I think there's a blueprint to stop our passing game that has worked from that point forward. Teams are press covering our WRs with great success because they simply aren't getting open with regularity and they know Russ won't throw into tight coverage very often, even single coverage. Plus they are spying Wilson on every play so he's unable to get first downs with is legs to extend drives. Lastly, the naked bootleg is stone cold dead and Bevell/Pete need to either abandon it or redesign it to better hide our intentions because right now every team knows it's coming (some sort of tell I would presume be it formation or whatever).

The passing game looked better early yesterday when Percy was playing. I believe unless he plays quite regularly from this point forward we will continue to see the same offensive struggles. This team needs another WR besides him that can get consistent separation in either FA or the draft IMO and badly.

keasley45

Reaction score
kujohawk":19qzktu7 said:
purpleworld":19qzktu7 said:
What did Brady do? 13/25 for 198...not overwhelming either, but he had 0 int's. What did Blount do? 24 carries for 166....sounds a lot like Lynch's day. Playoff football is about turnovers, defense, and controlling the ball with the ground game....especially in the weather conditions that the game was played in on sunday! We played it the way it needed to be played to get the win....and that is ALL that matters!

I see the stats but did you watch the game? NE's offensive gameplan was lightyears ahead of what we typically produce. And... over the course of the year they've completely modified their scheme, approach and plays to address the fact that they dont have the playmakers they need to do what they used to do - something we should have done coming into the year and desperately need to do now. Dont just pull numbers. Our offense has been inept and everyone but the koolaid drinkers sees it.

keasley45

Reaction score
purpleworld":2a99m6wx said:
razor150 wrote:
Defensively this team is peaking. Offensively this team has been in serious decline for awhile. Teams have figured our offense out and there have been no adjustments to turn things around. Infact it looks like the offense has become more conservative as time has gone by. They seem to be playing to not be the reason we lose, and that isn't a winning formula.

purpleworld wrote:

razor150 wrote
Didn't work well against the 49ers and Cards, with the 49ers being a potential team we could be facing next week. The Panthers are another team that could beat us if the offense continues to lay eggs on the field like this. Very rarely does a team with an offense that has been playing this consistently bad win a Superbowl, much less make it to one. It isn't like this game is an anomaly since this is what Russell Wilson and the offense has looked like for over a month. Which BTW includes 2 of our 3 losses.

purpleworld wrote:
26-9 over the last 2 years playing this type of football....that IS a winning forumula! We'd have beaten the 49ers less the late run by Gore at the end....at their house btw. Control the clock, run the ball, avoid turnovers, and play great defense....that is what this team does, and has done for 2 years now.....and, we CAN win a SB this way too!

the 'this has worked so well' arguement is completely missing the point. yeah, except for the gore run... except for a great pass by palmer... except for a few dropped int's... the whole point is that IT SHOULDNT COME DOWN TO THAT. just like yesterday should never have come down to a flippn on-side kick. Nobody is advocating turning our offense into a risk taking, trick play circus, but if we were better prepared, more creative and were able to actually adapt and take figg'n advantage of what the D was doing we dont lose those games. we can be conservative AND successful/effective on offense. The two are not mutually exclusive. If we lose next week and we come out with the same garbage of a plan on offense, it will no doubt be ' oh, except for that great play by player x, we would have won' . Complete BS.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
keasley45":132sg48h said:
the 'this has worked so well' arguement is completely missing the point. yeah, except for the gore run... except for a great pass by palmer... except for a few dropped int's... the whole point is that IT SHOULDNT COME DOWN TO THAT. just like yesterday should never have come down to a flippn on-side kick. Nobody is advocating turning our offense into a risk taking, trick play circus, but if we were better prepared, more creative and were able to actually adapt and take figg'n advantage of what the D was doing we dont lose those games. we can be conservative AND successful/effective on offense. The two are not mutually exclusive. If we lose next week and we come out with the same garbage of a plan on offense, it will no doubt be ' oh, except for that great play by player x, we would have won' . Complete BS.
Great post man. Agree 100%.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
keasley45":2geufcuj said:
kujohawk":2geufcuj said:
purpleworld":2geufcuj said:

I see the stats but did you watch the game? NE's offensive gameplan was lightyears ahead of what we typically produce. And... over the course of the year they've completely modified their scheme, approach and plays to address the fact that they dont have the playmakers they need to do what they used to do - something we should have done coming into the year and desperately need to do now. Dont just pull numbers. Our offense has been inept and everyone but the koolaid drinkers sees it.

The Saints D is just sliiiiiightly better than Indy's.

keasley45

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1f9bvegy said:
keasley45":1f9bvegy said:
kujohawk":1f9bvegy said:
purpleworld":1f9bvegy said:

yeah. and we made them look like the 1985 bears.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I see the stats but did you watch the game? NE's offensive gameplan was lightyears ahead of what we typically produce. And... over the course of the year they've completely modified their scheme, approach and plays to address the fact that they dont have the playmakers they need to do what they used to do - something we should have done coming into the year and desperately need to do now. Dont just pull numbers. Our offense has been inept and everyone but the koolaid drinkers sees it.[/quote]

The Saints D is just sliiiiiightly better than Indy's.[/quote]

yeah. and we made them look like the 1985 bears.[/quote]

We did?

I dont remember the 85 bears giving up 23 points in a driving wind and rain storm too often, but perhaps my memory is a bit foggy.

That however isnt the point. Comparing our game to a NE game in which they faced an Indy D that is fading fast yet put up similar stats is silly.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Regardless of his take. The offensive struggles are very real. Take Lynch away and there is no offense. Bevell, Wilson, WR's, and Pete take the blame for strange play calling and poor performance. The spark Harvin brought is needed and I hope he is playing next week.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
keasley45":rv60msd0 said:
Hawkpower":rv60msd0 said:

I'd take 23 points and 150+ rushing yards against the best defense of all time.

The hyperbole on this board is too much sometimes.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
keasley45":2gvev9ds said:
Hawkpower":2gvev9ds said:
keasley45":2gvev9ds said:
purpleworld":2gvev9ds said:

How many times did that Bears defense allow 23 or more points? Three times in the regular season. In the playoffs they didn't allow more than 10.

Did that Bears team regularly give up nearly 175 yards rushing with a 5.0 average?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ChrisB Bacon":3kodgcgc said:
keasley45":3kodgcgc said:
Hawkpower":3kodgcgc said:

I'd take 23 points and 150+ rushing yards against the best defense of all time.

The hyperbole on this board is too much sometimes.

Damn you Bacon and your speedy post!

keasley45

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1l0hkwmj said:

The Saints D is just sliiiiiightly better than Indy's.[/quote]

yeah. and we made them look like the 1985 bears.[/quote]

We did?

I dont remember the 85 bears giving up 23 points in a driving wind and rain storm too often, but perhaps my memory is a bit foggy.

That however isnt the point. Comparing our game to a NE game in which they faced an Indy D that is fading fast yet put up similar stats is silly.[/quote]

our second half offense essentially consisted of a toss up and fantastic catch by Doug Baldwin and the Lynch TD run. Thats the result of either facing a dominant D or having a pathetic offense or offensive plan. You cant keep relying on that strategy and expect success no matter how many times its worked before. It worked yesterday but we played ourselves into almost the same situation against AZ and how'd that turn out? same formula...

purpleworld

Reaction score
keasley45":2qzt6phh said:
purpleworld":2qzt6phh said:
razor150 wrote:

purpleworld wrote:

razor150 wrote

purpleworld wrote:

Got no problem with what you say....i am all for the shorter quicker passes, we need to do more! All the games we have lost this year (and last year for that matter), we could/should have won if not for the defense failing to make a last drive stop, or a Receiver making a catch....we were in them ALL and I don't think we have lost a game by more than 7 points in 2 years....how many teams can say that??? Every team in the NFL is loaded with elite athletes who are paid to play and stop you, we aint going up against college kids....Like it or not, how we are built to play IS a winning formula (26-9), and that is the point....even if it isn't always pretty!

kearly

Reaction score
The throws over the middle were out of respect to the corners we have who dominate sideline throws. The only mistake the Saints made was that final play where the guy threw a forward pass instead of stepping out.

If the Saints had won, you wouldn't exactly blame it on the offense, which scored 23 points. Seattle would have lost because of a string of extremely unlikely outcomes breaking in the Saints favor, all in a row, all at the very end of the game. It would have been the most improbable last second comeback in playoff history.

The offense does have issues but the article uses a faulty and frankly non-sequitur series of arguments to support his case.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
sc85sis":bm9kcqqy said:
brimsalabim":bm9kcqqy said:
What message did Pete send when he punted on 4th and inches? Russell is just executing the game plan.
That it was ridiculously windy and he wasn't willing to make the same mistake Payton did--especially when he trusts his defense.
Yes that's my point. The offensive game plan was don't take a risk. It wasn't pretty but we won. I do agree with others that we will need a better game plan next week though.

Have we put in any new plays to take advantage of the fact that teams are keeping linebackers to spy Russell? We should be able to come up with something by now.