Shefter: Grubb the new OC

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, i have to imagine this team has a pretty significant focus on defense in the draft. It's been my biggest argument against drafting a QB.

You have to find safeties and linebackers immediately and you have to do it cap-friendly which is in the draft. This has to be our 2011 draft.
agreed roll with geno and fix the defense is a solid plan.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah, i have to imagine this team has a pretty significant focus on defense in the draft. It's been my biggest argument against drafting a QB.

You have to find safeties and linebackers immediately and you have to do it cap-friendly which is in the draft. This has to be our 2011 draft.

I agree with this but if you have a guy at 16 you think is truly elite, special or whatever you take him because it moves the needle so far. If you do t see that guy then you obviously go for what you listed. Macdonalds defense seems to rely on those positions so I expect an emphasis there. But again if John thinks he has an Allen, Mahomes or whatever in reach he’s not passing him up.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Have to think that this is an indication that they are interested in Michael Penix at 16. Might even consider trading up a few spots to make sure they get him.
Man, if we trade up FROM 16 for a quarterback who has sustained 4 season ending injuries before even getting to the league and 2 of them are tearing the same ACL in the same knee, I'll have to immediately start questioning our processes.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I agree with this but if you have a guy at 16 you think is truly elite, special or whatever you take him because it moves the needle so far. If you do t see that guy then you obviously go for what you listed. Macdonalds defense seems to rely on those positions so I expect an emphasis there. But again if John thinks he has an Allen, Mahomes or whatever in reach he’s not passing him up.
I’d trade the farm for Caleb but otherwise, I’m not that confident on any other first rounder.

I’d be very surprised if the Seahawks take a 1st or 2nd round QB

WarHawks

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a qb at 16 at all. If they see a guy available that they like, they have to take him. It could set the franchise on track for a decade. Of course, it could be a bust, but all qb picks share that risk. All of them.

cymatica

Reaction score
Caleb Williams is a tier alone. NFL ready day one.

Jayden Daniels has the legs of Walmart Lamar but his mid/deep accuracy is sub par.
Drake Maye is Mitch Trubisky v2.0.
Penix has an elite arm and will probably be on IR after week 2. Honestly my only rub on him is his ability to stay healthy. Elite NFL arm and deep ball accuracy, comfortable in a pocket with some running ability.
JJ should be a 6th round pick who sits on the bench for 2 years. Then he'll be the next Brady.
Nix probably has the best short/medium accuracy, although he's got happy feet in the pocket. Him, Drake & Jayden all struggled to trust the pocket and weren't asked to do complex multiple reads like Penix or Williams.
Spencer Rattler isn't an NFL QB.
Michael Pratt may be my favorite draft/sit option. Average NFL arm, solid deep-ball accuracy, comfort in the pocket. He's got a little wobble in his ball which is why ne needs to sit.

My opinions (not where I think they'll be drafted, but where they should be drafted)
Caleb - R1P1 (start)
Penix - R1P2 (start)
Nix - R2 (year 1 sit)
Pratt - R3 (year 1 sit)
JJ - R4 (year 1/2 sit)

Everyone else is an avoid.
Caleb Williams cried in moms arms after losing to UW. He strikes me as a spoiled rich kid who lacks the mental toughness to lead a team in the NFL.

cymatica

Reaction score
Offensive, as stated. Frazier's experience is DBs, DC, and HC. A similar hire on the offensive side would probably be quite helpful if the stated plan to hire a bunch of younger position coaches with no substantial NFL experience comes to fruition.
Frazier has enough experience to understand what works and what doesn't on offense.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I don't really get Williams. I get that he has all the tools, but it's not like he used them to lift his team to contender status. Meh.

Parallax

Reaction score
Why?
He has free will to choose where he wants to play
UW didn’t force him out. He chose to follow a coach
If he’s now unhappy (no idea if he is) that’s a lesson learned
Imagine following a coach cross country, enrolling and having him leave. Big time bummer. Put yourself in his shoes. He's all of 17. Doesn't turn 18 until June.

Parallax

Reaction score
I'd have jayden and Drake above penix still (Jayden mostly because of injury concern, but Drake is legit a dude, trubisky is a laughable comparison).

I'd move Pratt to 4, combine will decide if he's above/below jj for me.

I agree on ratboy but some stupid team probably takes him in the 3rd, just hope it isn't us

Good post though
I don't think people give Ratler enough credit. Good arm, good speed, plays well under pressure. Was on a terrible team and overcame a lot.

Didn't like the guy when he was a freshman but he's really matured. I'd be real happy if Seattle took a flier on him in the third. Would not be surprised if he wound up being best of the bunch. Odds are higher with Williams, Drake and Maye. Not necessarily with Penix, Nix or McCarthy.

Parallax

Reaction score
I don't really get Williams. I get that he has all the tools, but it's not like he used them to lift his team to contender status. Meh.
I get it. Talent is off the charts. Great arm. Can run with the best. Great stature. Really hard to sack.

He was on a bad team with a terrible defense that gave up after the UW loss. They were hoping to win a national championship and, when they lost that game, they lost cohesion. They were poorly coached too. If I were GM of the Bears, I'd take him without question unless another team offered a boatload of value for that pick. I don't see Fields as the answer, though they could stick with him another year.

Parallax

Reaction score
Have to think that this is an indication that they are interested in Michael Penix at 16. Might even consider trading up a few spots to make sure they get him.
That's not my take. I think we take the best player on our board or, if value isn't there, trade back.

Parallax

Reaction score
Caleb Williams cried in moms arms after losing to UW. He strikes me as a spoiled rich kid who lacks the mental toughness to lead a team in the NFL.
Man, you're a tough critic. He was 21 at the time. Returned after winning the Heisman to take a shot at winning a national championship. That was his dream. That night, it slipped away. Was a big loss. Give the kid a break.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Imagine following a coach cross country, enrolling and having him leave. Big time bummer. Put yourself in his shoes. He's all of 17. Doesn't turn 18 until June.
Oh I agree its a bummer
But again, a hard lesson learned
Nobody forced him to follow Grubb. That was a choice.
The portal needs a few more hard lessons learned I think so that it calms down a bit:)

Parallax

Reaction score
Oh I agree its a bummer
But again, a hard lesson learned
Nobody forced him to follow Grubb. That was a choice.
The portal needs a few more hard lessons learned I think so that it calms down a bit:)
There are a ton of kids who enter the portal and don't get an offer. One would think that would make kids think twice but a lot have unrealistic expectations. For some, though it makes a ton of sense. Very situation specific.

chris98251

Reaction score
Grubb was using his tools available, when your RB stable is injured except for a traditional 3rd down type back that becomes your number 1 you have to look at what else you have. Three WR's that have NFL talent, a QB that has NFL talent.

Tell me when you have a Ferrari on the road do you drive it down ally's and parades or open it up on the Freeway (no Traffic). That is what I seen.