Shoulda taken Hopkins in the first

Sturm

Reaction score
The guy's had 1 good game. One.

No need to crown his ass just yet.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":34d9ytd0 said:
Look, I would much rather have a healthy harvin than hopkins, Im merely pointing out that had we gone that route, we would be in better shape short term by having a guy that is adding value immdiatley AND next year when we have some serious choices to make in regards to cap space.

Maybe. Or maybe Hopkins zigs when he should have zagged in training camp, blows out his knee, and the player we spent a first round pick on ends up missing the ENTIRE season. Or maybe the 49ers trade for Harvin when we don't and he turns out to be the bane of our existence every time we play him like Larry Fitzgerald was. There is no way to know how things would have turned out if we had drafted Hopkins, and no guarantee that we would be better off.

General Manager

Reaction score
It's to early to call it , but given the contract that was given and some of the players available at that selection there is an argument to be made for not making that trade.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Harvin adds an element to this team that it didn't really have yet. The all purpose weapon and he excels at it like no other.
Tate is kind of playing that role right now, but he's more of an outside guy. Baldwin is also getting some screens, quick passes, etc. but it's just not working that well. Harvin is the ultimate weapon in those type of situations.

Hopkins although a good reciever, wouldn't be as great in Seattle as he would be for another team. Sidney Rice is kind of already in the role Hopkins is for Houston. The big tall receiver that pulls in those clutch catches/jump balls. As you probably know, Seattle tends to spread the ball around so not one receiver really ever gets the big stats.

I think having Harvin on the field is a lot better than it would to have Hopkins because Harvin gives another element of attack that we don't have, it makes it extremely hard for the defense to predict what we're goona do, and we already have a guy like Hopkins on the team. Now I'm not saying Harvin is the better value considering what we gave up, just the better player for this team and he would definitely contribute more to this team than Hopkins probably would.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2wwyd960 said:
Look, I would much rather have a healthy harvin than hopkins, Im merely pointing out that had we gone that route, we would be in better shape short term by having a guy that is adding value immdiatley AND next year when we have some serious choices to make in regards to cap space. I loved the move to get Harvin but so far it hasn't worked out for us.

It's been said that "sometimes availability trumps ability".

Harvin is an extremely rare talent but this is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Considering his contract, some prized picks and lingering questions on whether or not he could have played this season, a person would be crazy to not 2nd guess the deal. Yes, this is hindsight, but until we have some foresight, hindsight is all we have. I'll be stoked when it works out, pissed if it don't. I'm human like that.

samwize77

Reaction score
HawkWow":31lytbpq said:
Chukarhawk":31lytbpq said:
Look, I would much rather have a healthy harvin than hopkins, Im merely pointing out that had we gone that route, we would be in better shape short term by having a guy that is adding value immdiatley AND next year when we have some serious choices to make in regards to cap space. I loved the move to get Harvin but so far it hasn't worked out for us.

Harvin is an extremely rare talent but this is a "what have you done for me lately" business. Considering his contract, some prized picks and lingering questions on whether or not he could have played this season, a person would be crazy to not 2nd guess the deal. Yes, this is hindsight, but until we have some foresight, hindsight is all we have. I'll be stoked when it works out, pissed if it don't. I'm human like that.
I guess if you in the camp of not being happy harvin is out with an injury, maybe we should just get rid of him, clem, BB for guys that have had 1 good game. Yup, makes sense to me. What happens if RW goes down? Trade back for Flynn?...hes had 2 good games!!

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
That is the craziest statement I've heard in a wile. Harvin is so much better its not debate. He is versatile and explosive. He can very well come back and still win the OPOY.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Radish":4fwb3is5 said:
Chukarhawk":4fwb3is5 said:
Dude is ballin and he would have been a better move than Harvin in that he would be playing for us right now and would cost us a lot less.

Teams doing great and you're finding fault?

Why do people want to talk months later about something that can't be changed now, and most people aren't the least interested in?

How about at least letting it wait until you see Harvin play.

:roll:

its the internet... look around this board. we've got dozens of open topics on things that dont matter. give the guy a break.

Isnt grading and comparing a draft always hindsight

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":22elephf said:
Dude is ballin and he would have been a better move than Harvin in that he would be playing for us right now...

You don't know that. He might be injured right now, too.

HawkWow

Reaction score
samwize77":ikknh91q said:
HawkWow":ikknh91q said:
Chukarhawk":ikknh91q said:

I guess if you in the camp of not being happy harvin is out with an injury, maybe we should just get rid of him, clem, BB for guys that have had 1 good game. Yup, makes sense to me. What happens if RW goes down? Trade back for Flynn?...hes had 2 good games!!

LOL, I had to give up after reading that drivel twice. All I got out of it was a feeling of guilt for not donating money to crackheads-anonymous.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
HawkWow":1bxfrtz9 said:

Yup this is true, but there's much more things that factor in to an acquisition than just availability, like ability lol. Yes, we may have Hopkins, but what use is he to our team? We already have a guy that's pretty much like him in Sidney Rice. I would assume you would agree that he would most likely play on the outside? Who are you goona get rid of, Rice or Tate? I know it's stated a million times before, but the element Harvin adds to this offense is just crazy. We don't know if Hopkins would've been any good here, we don't know if Harvin will ever play a down as a Seahawk, but I personally rather invest in a player like Harvin for this team rather than Hopkins because to me, he has more use. Basically, I just don't see how he would help this team that much while I can see Harvin having an impact which I think is a logical reason to want Harvin more than Hopkins. I don't blame you for second guessing the deal, but also we don't know what it would've took to get Hopkins on this team.

I get your arguement of having a player is better than having no player, but logically obviously we expect him to heal and play, so this is my reasoning.

HawkWow

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":20uoi5zj said:
HawkWow":20uoi5zj said:

Yup this is true, but there's much more things that factor in to an acquisition than just availability, like ability lol. Yes, we may have Hopkins, but what use is he to our team? We already have a guy that's pretty much like him in Sidney Rice. I would assume you would agree that he would most likely play on the outside? Who are you goona get rid of, Rice or Tate? I know it's stated a million times before, but the element Harvin adds to this offense is just crazy. We don't know if Hopkins would've been any good here, we don't know if Harvin will ever play a down as a Seahawk, but I personally rather invest in a player like Harvin for this team rather than Hopkins because to me, he has more use. Basically, I just don't see how he would help this team that much while I can see Harvin having an impact which I think is a logical reason to want Harvin more than Hopkins. I don't blame you for second guessing the deal, but also we don't know what it would've took to get Hopkins on this team.

I get your arguement of having a player is better than having no player, but logically obviously we expect him to heal and play, so this is my reasoning.

Good post. But I never said I felt we should have taken Hopkins. I was backing the OP's right to have an opinion on the subject. Then agreeing that 2nd guessing the Harvin deal was not insanity. But to address your point on Rice vs. Hopkins. You're excluding the rookie salary cap and Rice's fat salary from your argument. If the question was "would you trade Rice for Hopkins"? My answer would be Yes and without hesitation.

pmedic920

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":t5drlpoh said:
Sarlacc83":t5drlpoh said:
Chukarhawk":t5drlpoh said:
Sarlacc83":t5drlpoh said:
Man, having seen Harvin suck, I am sure glad that....

Oh, right.

Hopkins is playing and winning games right now, what is harvin doing?

Not being responsible for running a route that caused a pick 6?

I mean, if you're going to extol the guy for catching a game-winning pass, you might as well excoriate him for screwing up earlier, too.

If there's one thing I hate, it's having to look up words that I read in a football forum. Thanks, ya dolt!

I know rite. I've kinda learned to use the context to make an educated guess. Saves time.