Since when do refs get to fix players mistakes?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
renofox":12srlaqx said:
Hypothetical: It's part of a designed trick play. Another Ram player picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

Do the refs call that a dead ball?

Within the last 2 min, a fumble can only be advanced by the player that fumbled it.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Laying on the ground and staying there is giving yourself up. Falling down and staying there is giving yourself up. Kneeling is giving yourself up. Fair catch is giving yourself up.

Laying the football on the ground is not giving yourself up by any rule I am aware of. Reynolds did none of the things required to give himself up and the play was not blown dead. It was an incorrect call and an aggregous one in my mind.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Natethegreat":t5as9rt6 said:
renofox":t5as9rt6 said:
Hypothetical: It's part of a designed trick play. Another Ram player picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

Exactly, had Reynolds or another player simply ran with that ball Reynolds would not have been ruled as having given himself up. Because he hadn't. But instead they fixed it because the Seahawks recovered that ball. Thats why every player on the field went after that ball.

The persecution complex here is huge. Every player goes after the ball any time it's on the ground regardless. Other than a qb slide, it's pretty rare for a player to give himself up so most players wouldnt recognize the situation that quickly. They're trained to pick up the ball when it's on the ground so they do. Additionally, the refs are supposed to let turnovers go without a whistle so that an inadvertent whistle doesn't ruin the play. They let the play happen, they discussed it and they got it right.

If it was a Seahawk that did it, some of you would be mad at the refs for even needing to have a conference to decide he was giving himself up.

renofox

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":1rj6r656 said:
renofox":1rj6r656 said:

Within the last 2 min, a fumble can only be advanced by the player that fumbled it.

Clarified anti-quibble hypothetical: It's part of a designed trick play. Another Ram player picks up the ball and runs it in for a TD.

Do the refs call that a dead ball? Or a fumble recovered by the other player (that, if occurring on 4th down or the last 2 minutes of a half cannot be advanced)?

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
No complex or persecution here. I just think they blew the call. He never gave himself up. Unless there is a rule that states placing the ball on the ground is giving yourself up. Maybe there is but I am not aware of it.

renofox

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3jj0heyj said:
No complex or persecution here. I just think they blew the call. He never gave himself up. Unless there is a rule that states placing the ball on the ground is giving yourself up. Maybe there is but I am not aware of it.

You are correct. No such rule.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Natethegreat":gv8mu3t1 said:
Exactly, had Reynolds or another player simply ran with that ball Reynolds would not have been ruled as having given himself up. Because he hadn't. But instead they fixed it because the Seahawks recovered that ball. Thats why every player on the field went after that ball.

Sure, no persecution complex at all.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":2c3xkufo said:
Natethegreat":2c3xkufo said:
renofox":2c3xkufo said:

The persecution complex here is huge. Every player goes after the ball any time it's on the ground regardless. Other than a qb slide, it's pretty rare for a player to give himself up so most players wouldnt recognize the situation that quickly. They're trained to pick up the ball when it's on the ground so they do. Additionally, the refs are supposed to let turnovers go without a whistle so that an inadvertent whistle doesn't ruin the play. They let the play happen, they discussed it and they got it right.

If it was a Seahawk that did it, some of you would be mad at the refs for even needing to have a conference to decide he was giving himself up.

Persecution complex?

I see fans chatting about a pretty weird play that may not have been called correctly.

Not sure what you are seeing.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think that in the spirit of the game he gave himself up but by the letter of the law I think it was a fumble. You could also try and argue he was trying to gain an advantage (saving time) that the refs bailed them out on.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":20hocu0d said:
Natethegreat":20hocu0d said:

My point is that had the Rams recovered the ball they would not have gone backwards and proclaimed the ball dead earlier when no whistle had been blown. This isn't some complex or persecution thing. I want to discuss what is a pretty clear blown call.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Hawkpower":28jd3yjz said:
FattyKnuckle":28jd3yjz said:
Natethegreat":28jd3yjz said:
renofox":28jd3yjz said:

Persecution complex?

I see fans chatting about a pretty weird play that may not have been called correctly.

It's an exceptionally common, and tiring, theme here about how much the NFL, refs etc... are against the Seahawks. Specifically in this thread, the statement: "But instead they fixed it because the Seahawks recovered that ball".

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2ynxmkqi said:
FattyKnuckle":2ynxmkqi said:
Natethegreat":2ynxmkqi said:

My point is that had the Rams recovered the ball they would not have gone backwards and proclaimed the ball dead earlier when no whistle had been blown.
Wasn't it within the last 2 min?

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Natethegreat":10hnh5lw said:
Because there is no such rule. He set that ball down because he thought he was down by contact. The language of the rule doesn't state setting the ball down while standing up constitutes giving yourself up. If they did call that rule correctly, they need to either change the rule or change how it's written. You can't have officials out there interpreting a player's intent on any call let alone a play where the ball is loose. I guarantee they had a laugh about it after the game. He knows he got away with one there.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":3ddrsfd8 said:
Hawkpower":3ddrsfd8 said:
FattyKnuckle":3ddrsfd8 said:
Natethegreat":3ddrsfd8 said:

Persecution complex?

It's an exceptionally common, and tiring, theme here about how much the NFL, refs etc... are against the Seahawks. Specifically in this thread, the statement: "But instead they fixed it because the Seahawks recovered that ball".
I get what you are saying. In fact I made a comment in the Josh Gordon thread about all the conspiracy theories of the NFL out to get the Hawks. Thats not what I'm getting at here. I think it was a blown call and worthy of discussion.

renofox

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":14ltk0ne said:
Natethegreat":14ltk0ne said:
renofox":14ltk0ne said:

If it was a Seahawk that did it, some of you would be mad at the refs for even needing to have a conference to decide he was giving himself up.the refs would have awarded the ball to the other team and the board would explode calling for the idiot player to be cut (and/or executed).

FIFY

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":ldtmnx53 said:
Natethegreat":ldtmnx53 said:
Because there is no such rule. He set that ball down because he thought he was down by contact. The language of the rule doesn't state setting the ball down while standing up constitutes giving yourself up. If they did call that rule correctly, they need to either change the rule or change how it's written. You can't have officials out there interpreting a player's intent on any call let alone a play where the ball is loose. I guarantee they had a laugh about it after the game. He knows he got away with one there.

No one was anywhere near him, why would he possibly think he was touched?

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
renofox":1sqieev6 said:
FattyKnuckle":1sqieev6 said:
Natethegreat":1sqieev6 said:
renofox":1sqieev6 said:

If it was a Seahawk that did it, some of you would be mad at the refs for even needing to have a conference to decide he was giving himself up.the refs would have awarded the ball to the other team and the board would explode calling for the idiot player to be cut (and/or executed).

FIFY
Clearly I was way off thinking there was a persecution complex here.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest I'm more mad at the DK illegal shift penalty. That was truly awful.

pinksheets

Reaction score
This is Desean Jackson giving himself up - should have been called down at the 1.

BMySPzr.gif

Hawkpower

Reaction score
FattyKnuckle":3f3wnmcw said:
Hawkpower":3f3wnmcw said:
FattyKnuckle":3f3wnmcw said:
Natethegreat":3f3wnmcw said:

Persecution complex?

Well, the Seahawks were the other team....what did you want him to say?? The dudes recovered the ball?

There are complaints in this forum about the refs (often justified) but this doesnt feel all that persecut-ish to me.

Pretty legitimate conversation IMO