So much for the Ahlers hype.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hype? Saying he might be a good choice as a #3 QB is hardly hype. 🤷‍♂️

To be fair, I've seen posts saying they should let Lock go and make Ahlers the backup. I think most people are sane enough to know that Ahlers isn't ready for that yet, but not everyone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My sense is we haven’t seen the last of him.

There are other young QBs out there though who may be on the team’s radar.

After all it’s not as if he’d play much here and the team’s scheme exposers a QB often to harm unlike that of SF and a few other teams.

He was very raw and was hardly careful with the ball, but he for sure was fun to watch at times.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
If Ahlers isn’t him, then why are we not bringing in someone we think is? Are we really gonna freeball having only two available quarterbacks all season?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, not you necessarily but after game 1 there was a lot of hype around him here.
Yeah, god forbid anyone say something positive about the guy.
Absolutely NO ONE HERE even hinted at him taking away Lock's job as Geno's backup.
The kid has a ways to go before he can displace any of the top 15 to 20 Quarterbacks, but he has a hell of a lot of upside & potential that could land him a spot as a backup & eventual starter.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, god forbid anyone say something positive about the guy.
Absolutely NO ONE HERE even hinted at him taking away Lock's job as Geno's backup.
The kid has a ways to go before he can displace any of the top 15 to 20 Quarterbacks, but he has a hell of a lot of upside & potential that could land him a spot as a backup & eventual starter.

I agree. Yes, he’s very raw but I didn’t see anything like the Trey Lance on Raiders disaster.

Ahlers seems to me the ideal project ps qb. I see a bit of Taysom Hill or CJ Beathard. he will benefit more from ps reps than Drew, who has done it so long he knows how to do it in his sleep. What Drew needs as a veteran is the experience in TEACHING it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I agree. Yes, he’s very raw but I didn’t see anything like the Trey Lance on Raiders disaster.

Ahlers seems to me the ideal project ps qb. I see a bit of Taysom Hill or CJ Beathard. he will benefit more from ps reps than Drew, who has done it so long he knows how to do it in his sleep. What Drew needs as a veteran is the experience in TEACHING it.
Yes, it's long established that it's the teacher who learns the most in the process of teaching another.

I expect Ahlers to be back, but ya never know, the Hawks might have the hots for that BC Lions QB who I guess was in camp with the Jags.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Two of the biggest reasons I liked Ahlers because, one, Michael Penix is also left-handed. So I liked the ability to be able to somewhat prime and strategize the offense in case Penix is a player that they like or perhaps falls to them in the next draft.

Two, Lucas is likely always going to be ahead of Cross physically and mentally being two years older with more experience and more reps coming into last year. So if Lucas is the better Tackle of the two then certainly developing a left-handed QB can work in their favor.