So much for the Ahlers hype.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Two of the biggest reasons I liked Ahlers because, one, Michael Penix is also left-handed. So I liked the ability to be able to somewhat prime and strategize the offense in case Penix is a player that they like or perhaps falls to them in the next draft.

Two, Lucas is likely always going to be ahead of Cross physically and mentally being two years older with more experience and more reps coming into last year. So if Lucas is the better Tackle of the two then certainly developing a left-handed QB can work in their favor.
Not really sure if Lucas is ahead of Cross, as Cross usually draws the top rusher, but Lucas is sure damn good and handles his pass-pro business there on the right side. Love em both. I suppose a Lucas vs Cross who's better thread could be interesting, who's better as a run blocker/pass blocker, etc. Anyone know if such a thread already exists?

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

Yeah, god forbid anyone say something positive about the guy.
Absolutely NO ONE HERE even hinted at him taking away Lock's job as Geno's backup.
The kid has a ways to go before he can displace any of the top 15 to 20 Quarterbacks, but he has a hell of a lot of upside & potential that could land him a spot as a backup & eventual starter.
Apparently, the Seahawks staff disagree with you.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Not really sure if Lucas is ahead of Cross, as Cross usually draws the top rusher, but Lucas is sure damn good and handles his pass-pro business there on the right side. Love em both. I suppose a Lucas vs Cross who's better thread could be interesting, who's better as a run blocker/pass blocker, etc. Anyone know if such a thread already exists?
Great rushers line up all over nowadays. Bosa usually goes against the RT for instance.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Great rushers line up all over nowadays. Bosa usually goes against the RT for instance.
Good topic for another thread! I know that D coordinators move their best pass rushers around to take advantage of perceived favorable matchups, but am curious if any stats are kept about where rushers actually line up. The left tackle is generally perceived to face the top pass rushers, right handed QB's blind side and all, but never seen any actual data on matchup difficulty that O-Linemen face. Anyone know if such a stat is kept anywhere? Something like Pass-pro win rate, adjusted by the quality of pass rusher faced? Or maybe that stat is not kept anywhere but is informally known by the team and factored into contract negotiation talks?

In any case, a lefty like Ahlers of course needs a good RT to protect his blind side. IF we ever see him in a Hawks uni again, that is.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

I'm not against him per se. Just thought the excitement surrounding him by a few Seahawkers was amusing. God forbid we have to use a PS QB this year!

olyfan63

Reaction score
OK, the Ahlers Hype Train is back on the track. Clearly Pete has identified Ahlers as the QBOTF. I am every bit as excited about Ahlers as I was about Alex McGough, the one who got away. If only Pete could have seen the chemistry between McGough and Kasen Williams, it was going to be the next Montana-to-Rice, but Pete dumped them both. That's OK, now we'll have Ahlers-to-Bobo rewriting the record books by the 2024 season! ;)

Seriously now, if Ahlers hits the roster it will only be for a few weeks to keep other teams from signing him off our PS. If he sees any actual snaps this season it would only be because of bad QB1/QB2 injury news, and or garbage time in a blowout. Next year we could conceivably lose either Geno or Lock so having a potential QB2 in development seems reasonable.

I guess it means the Hawks weren't dazzled enough by this BC Lions Nathan Rourke fellow to steal him from the Jags onto the active roster. Smart plan, let Doug Pederson, CJ Beathard, and Trevor Lawrence coach him up and mentor him for a few weeks into the next Warren Moon before we steal him.

Jville

Reaction score
As entertaining as Holton Athlers was during the preseason, forum reactions certainly added to that entertainment.

Glad Holton has return to the team for multiple reasons.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
OK, the Ahlers Hype Train is back on the track. Clearly Pete has identified Ahlers as the QBOTF. I am every bit as excited about Ahlers as I was about Alex McGough, the one who got away. If only Pete could have seen the chemistry between McGough and Kasen Williams, it was going to be the next Montana-to-Rice, but Pete dumped them both. That's OK, now we'll have Ahlers-to-Bobo rewriting the record books by the 2024 season! ;)

Seriously now, if Ahlers hits the roster it will only be for a few weeks to keep other teams from signing him off our PS. If he sees any actual snaps this season it would only be because of bad QB1/QB2 injury news, and or garbage time in a blowout. Next year we could conceivably lose either Geno or Lock so having a potential QB2 in development seems reasonable.

I guess it means the Hawks weren't dazzled enough by this BC Lions Nathan Rourke fellow to steal him from the Jags onto the active roster. Smart plan, let Doug Pederson, CJ Beathard, and Trevor Lawrence coach him up and mentor him for a few weeks into the next Warren Moon before we steal him.

We can’t not have a qb3 just because we were among the minority of teams that had their starters actually start all 17 games. I personally don’t want to be out there ass out if and eventually when we have to dress a third to be the interim second.

Latest posts