Stafford traded to Rams for Goff and lots of draft picks

kf3339

Reaction score
No matter what some on this thread are saying, this is nothing but bad news for us. The Rams were only a true quality QB away from winning the whole thing, and now they have that QB.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Hell yes!!

Man other Rams fans are weirdly attached to Goff. You guys have more RW doubters here than I've seen Rams fans doubting Goff. Some next level group think on my Rams forum.

Don't care about first round picks - we've drafted well without them so far in the McVay era and we usually get a few comp picks every year

RedAlice

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2v7xc7fq said:
Hell yes!!

Man other Rams fans are weirdly attached to Goff. You guys have more RW doubters here than I've seen Rams fans doubting Goff. Some next level group think on my Rams forum.

Don't care about first round picks - we've drafted well without them so far in the McVay era and we usually get a few comp picks every year

Lol. You have a waaayyyy different group of Rams fan friends than I do. Every bad game this season was immediately hate on Goff in game day chat.

Alright, Staffords our guy now. At least we didn’t have to spend a lot of time wondering.

:irishdrinkers:

And as to comp picks - we have two 3rd rounders this year from losing Holmes to the Lions (who knew just how much impact that would have. Lol)

Fox0r

Reaction score
This is one of the worst trades I've ever seen in my life.

The Rams literally gave up two firsts, a third, and their starting QB for an older QB with a lower career QB rating who hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years.

I'm rolling on the floor laughing over this idiotic trade.

Fade

Reaction score
The Rams already traded two 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey. They will have no 1st round picks for a long time. They will also eat a crap ton of proration from Goff's contract. Again, proving the salary cap is a myth. You can always move money around.

This is an amazing trade for the Rams. The Rams were the best team in the NFL last year, not factoring in QB.

They have it all, a smart coaching staff, #1 Defense, Top 5 O-Line, very strong at the skill positions. Now they have a QB who is fringe top 10. The only question I have with Stafford is health. If he can stay healthy, I'd make the Rams the favorites to come out of the NFC.

Unlike the Seahawks who mortgaged the farm last year for a Safety, LOL. The Rams were actually 1 player away, and now they have him.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Rat":o4h5mhxf said:
getnasty":o4h5mhxf said:
You would get 4 number 1's for Russ today.
I would do that today.

In all likelihood, the team would be dramatically worse if this trade were made, but hey - at least they get to... probably win Bleacher Report's draft grades or something

Fox0r

Reaction score
Fade":9vpblvla said:
The Rams already traded two 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey. They will have no 1st round picks for a long time. They will also eat a crap ton of proration from Goff's contract. Again, proving the salary cap is a myth. You can always move money around.

This is an amazing trade for the Rams. The Rams were the best team in the NFL last year, not factoring in QB.

They have it all, a smart coaching staff, #1 Defense, Top 5 O-Line, very strong at the skill positions. Now they have a QB who is fringe top 10. The only question I have with Stafford is health. If he can stay healthy, I'd make the Rams the favorites to come out of the NFC.

Unlike the Seahawks who mortgaged the farm last year for a Safety, LOL. The Rams were actually 1 player away, and now they have him.

There was literally almost no difference between Stafford and Goff's output last year and Goff has a higher QB rating over the course of his career than Matt Stafford. Where do you get this magical idea they're suddenly going to turn the corner with the same QB production? Not to mention, they crapped on their future by investing in a QB who is passing his prime quickly.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Fox0r":wmw1pvo5 said:
Fade":wmw1pvo5 said:

There was literally almost no difference between Stafford and Goff's output last year and Goff has a higher QB rating over the course of his career than Matt Stafford. Where do you get this magical idea they're suddenly going to turn the corner with the same QB production? Not to mention, they crapped on their future by investing in a QB who is passing his prime quickly.

This is lacking a ton of context. Goff's limitations are clear, and its apparent that Goff has played in a very QB friendly scheme his whole career.

For instance, lets look at their Average Intended Air Yards per pass. Goff is the 4th lowest in the league at 6.6 IAY. Stafford is one of the highest, at 9 IAY. For reference, Russell "Deep Passes Only" Wilson is at 8.6 IAY on the year. This matches the eye test - Stafford's numbers come on harder passes, and he remains as efficient (or more efficient, even) than Goff, who plays in a scheme that takes the pressure off the QB, closely related to Shanahan's (Jimmy G 6.2 IAY, Mullens 6.6 IAY).

It's clear to me than Stafford is going to be both able to run the current scheme they have as good as or better than Goff, while also adding the deep passing skillset he possesses that Goff simply doesn't.

Stafford also outclasses Goff in both EPA and QBR (which is heavily based on EPA), both stats better indicators of overall QB play than passer rating.

Diving into the most recent stats they have, here's a graph illustrating their place on an efficiency plot measuring EPA/play and Completion % over expected.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KryzivenTake2/status/1349035236827537409[/tweet]

Stafford, on a failing team with a lame duck front office known purely for their ineptitude, still outclasses Goff.

Stafford is easily the better quarterback, and keep in mind, they're not paying all of this just for Stafford, they're also paying to get rid of Goff and his untenable cap burden. The real criticism is that they extended Goff to begin with.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
chris98251":311fvhtq said:
Stafford will have a running game and a line, he a quick thinker and reads fast, something that Goff was not good at, the quick passing game and reading a receiver before he is open will be a problem for everyone now.

This is a chance for Stafford to show why he was drafted so high finally, he doesn't have to win every game by himself anymore, he runs better then people realize, won't be a Wilson or a Watson, but not a sitting duck either.

He wasn't even that good at Georgia, look at his records

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Fade":3k8sz5kd said:

Based on? His incredible playoff record? Watson, Rodgers, Wilson take the Lions into the post season... Stafford ? Nope

chris98251

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2jg2mki3 said:
chris98251":2jg2mki3 said:
Stafford will have a running game and a line, he a quick thinker and reads fast, something that Goff was not good at, the quick passing game and reading a receiver before he is open will be a problem for everyone now.

This is a chance for Stafford to show why he was drafted so high finally, he doesn't have to win every game by himself anymore, he runs better then people realize, won't be a Wilson or a Watson, but not a sitting duck either.

Posts like this make me want to go back and be a Raiders, Ram fan sometimes. It's 2021, he isn't at Georgia, he has a complete team under him, he was successful given his limitations with the Lions and what they gave him to work with and support him with.

When you all bitch about losing again to the Rams I can now say well he wasn't that good at Georgia?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Fox0r":2w1cwdxq said:
Fade":2w1cwdxq said:

I think many here are selling Goff short

Yeah he has some limitations, especially when pressured in the pocket, but he played the position well overall.

I think Ram fans saw the talent on the roster and looked for an easy scapegoat for expectations falling short. Goff certainly deserves some blame for that, but I think he took way too much honestly.

Regarding Stafford: don't great QB's elevate those around them? Great arm talent does not equal great QB.

How many of these types of guys have we seen over the years that can sling the ball around but just dont ever win?

Maybe its "just the Lions" and we'll see, but I am suspicious that for as talented an arm as he has, that he has never really been much of a winner.

At the end of the day, I think Goff and Stafford are very similar. Good but not great QB's.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
chris98251":10wfucxz said:
Ambrose83":10wfucxz said:
chris98251":10wfucxz said:

Posts like this make me want to go back and be a Raiders, Ram fan sometimes. It's 2021, he isn't at Georgia, he has a complete team under him, he was successful given his limitations with the Lions and what they gave him to work with and support him with.

When you all b!@ch about losing again to the Rams I can now say well he wasn't that good at Georgia?

What is your definition of success at the QB position?

I know its easy to make fun of the Lions, but they have put some talented people around him over the years.

Not sure he was put in as dire conditions as you imply.

His lack of winning should concern a Rams fan.

To completely dismiss that angle is off the mark imo

JPatera76

Reaction score
Some of y’all imo are over reacting. Drooling and fearing of those stats that are primarily great for fantasy league numbers from a QB that comes from a dumpster of a division, where GB has owned it. I’m Stafford isn’t garbage, but he definitely isn’t as great as y’all make him out to be. Plus Seattle just poached coaching staff that help make their offense tick and play calls. Me? I think Stafford is no better then Jimmy G. He had Calvin f’n Johnson to throw too, and still couldn’t make the playoffs. But hey, keep worrying about a dude, who really hasn’t accomplished much, expect “pretty stats (heavily flawed)” from throwing to the leagues BEST Wide receiver, that was BIG. If the Rams has DK then I’d be worried. But all Stafford has done was “sling it” long ball style to Calvin most his career. His short game is a complete joke.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Saw on ESPN at at the Rams haven’t drafted in the first round since 2017 and won’t until at least 2024.
Yowsers!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2h7di8b3 said:
Saw on ESPN at at the Rams haven’t drafted in the first round since 2017 and won’t until at least 2024.
Yowsers!
They've still managed to draft ok without it.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The thing about Detroit is that they tend to run up scores early but can't finish. We have shown the same tendencies but finish more often because we rely on our QB to pull rabbits, which I'm not so sure applies in Stafford's case.

Stafford to me is comparable to say a Cousins. Or a Rivers. Maybe even a JimmyG. Very good conventionally but not the type to pull rabbits.

Fade

Reaction score
Hawkpower":21cyrwqb said:
I think many here are selling Goff short

Yeah he has some limitations, especially when pressured in the pocket, but he played the position well overall.

- Jared Goff throws a pretty football from a pristine pocket.

That is where his skillset ends.

- Struggles to read coverages. McVay has to tell him the coverage over the headset, by getting to the LoS faster before the headset turnsoff.

- Any ounce of pressure he wilts. In today's NFL, that is what you would call a fatal flaw.

- Milquetoast personality, couldn't lead a troupe of kindergartners.

- Doesn't feel the rush well, which can lead to unnecessary sacks, fumbles, and INTs. (Pressure he doesn't see.)

- Consistently struggles in 3rd and long situations, when he can't be hidden on boots and playaction.

- Unwilling runner, and when he does run it's not a pretty sight.

McVay had to work overtime to prop up Goff. He was sick of it.

Stafford isn't all-world (though his arm talent is), but he doesn't have to be elite for the Rams to win a SuperBowl. The Rams are the best team in the NFL. He just needs to be 12-15. McVay may elevate him to top 10. He elevated Goff, so it could very well happen for Stafford.

If I were a Rams fan, the only thing I would be worried about with this trade is can Stafford stay healthy. Stafford's health will decide if this is a good trade or not.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
A lot of whistling past the graveyard here.

We could not beat the Rams with 1/2 a quarterback when it matters.

The win we DID get against the Rams was literally the result of screwups by Goff. Goff was usually the reason we could still win games against the Rams. And now he is gone.

This puts the Rams far above whatever Hawks team we had. We had better hope that Carroll wakes up and lets his OC actually call plays that score TDs in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters - or he is going to get left behind.

But whatever, either Carroll adapts or he is getting left behind.

Because we are #3 in the NFC West now. And god help us if the 49ers get a QB. We are going to be scratching to make it to the wildcard games now.

This is one of the worst things that could have happened except maybe Watson ending up on the 49ers.

Wow.