Team Chemistry

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Several posters have brought up the idea that certain players on the roster bubble or even directly in danger of getting cut are great team players, or locker-room stars, too.

Having rewatched the moving Disney flick Miracle--the 1980 Hockey team, for those sadly ignorant of that most important sporting event!--a line said by Coach Herb Brooks when forming the team seems appropriate right now. When questioned by his Asst. Coach why he didn't have some of the best college players on the final roster, he replied (closely paraphrasing), "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."

Do we have any of those players, that the FO would keep because they're "Seahawk-type" players, while cutting others who have made some remarkable plays this preseason or in the past? I'm just curious if team chemistry plays a role in final selection and to what degree.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":p7bzhtme said:
Several posters have brought up the idea that certain players on the roster bubble or even directly in danger of getting cut are great team players, or locker-room stars, too.

Having rewatched the moving Disney flick Miracle--the 1980 Hockey team, for those sadly ignorant of that most important sporting event!--a line said by Coach Herb Brooks when forming the team seems appropriate right now. When questioned by his Asst. Coach why he didn't have some of the best college players on the final roster, he replied (closely paraphrasing), "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones."

Do we have any of those players, that the FO would keep because they're "Seahawk-type" players, while cutting others who have made some remarkable plays this preseason or in the past? I'm just curious if team chemistry plays a role in final selection and to what degree.

I'm sure a ton of decisions come down to which player is a "Seahawk" type of player. That's why some preseason stars don't make it and guys that showed very little often can make it. Pete and John have their ideas about the mental makeup of a perfect Seahawks player - bright, willing to learn, chip on the shoulder, ultra competitive. Those assessments are just as important as athletic skill I believe.

That being said, I'm not sure the coaches are as privy to "Team chemistry" as they aren't in the locker room. But practice chemistry can be seen and likely goes a long way.

Jville

Reaction score
Reminds me of the adage ....... "we're not just looking for 5 shining pennies. We're looking for a shining nickle" - anonymous defensive back coach.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2mulszt8 said:

Shaquem Griffin is an amazing, feel good story, and he plays on the same team as his brother. I'm not sure of that translates into some sort of intangible that you're thinking of, but it's the only example I can think of.

D

DomeHawk

Ad Hawk":2csvothg said:

There is something to what you say but that is probably more confined to the selection process via the draft and UDFA selections. Once you hit camp it's the guys making the plays, period.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can have both, Pete and the players have said they have a great team chemistry with everyone helping make everyone better. Nobody has stood out as a Prima Donna at all, not seeing emotional explosions or anything good or bad.

This is the Bland non newsworthy environment media hates but teams love, they can focus on the games and practice and not damage control.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Marsh and Shead both have that great teammate but don't necessarily have top tier potential. They are football guy who will do whatever it takes, play any position the team asks and run through a brick wall if asked.

xray

Reaction score
IMO the team chemistry is not as important than the chemistry in the HO. Carroll & Schneider ain't getting much sleep tonite .

:?: :?: :?:

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Pete's last presser suggested this year's pre-season guys really rallied around each other, cheering each other on and encouraging each success. That's got to make the cut-down even harder.

I'm sure the draft was in fact where they looked for those "team characteristics," but I doubt that after that time that they just ignore the developing relationships and chemistry. Even these last two don't always go hand-in-hand. Doug and Russ had great chemistry even if not an amazing relationship (as far as we know).

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete and John have made a big deal the last few years about wanting players with grit. I think after the McDowell fiasco, they’re also focusing a bit more on character/effort. They’ll give a guy like Jazz a chance to see if he’s turned things around, but if you don’t bring it every day, you won’t last.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
So, do you all think Clowney is a Seahawk chemistry player?

chris98251

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":exb1o01b said:
So, do you all think Clowney is a Seahawk chemistry player?

You need to ask the league who I am sure will test him right away. Its what happens to players we bring in.

Latest posts