The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

sutz

Reaction score
Is it really the coach's fault that Mitch can't lay off a slider?

Maybe. :229031_shrug:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sutz":1cqyh18a said:

It's the coaches fault that most of the lineup is consistently laying off first pitch strikes right down the heart of the plate. Not only that, they're laying off a ton of heaters right down the heart of the plate in general. It's a bad problem.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Also, Torrens is by far the worst catcher I can recall in years. Listening to Chuck and Buck on 950 right now, and they're roasting him. But they see what we all see. He is awful defensively, and he's not exactly providing enough offense to make up for it.

They make a great point of how bad his approach is behind the plate, and how Servais was a big league catcher. How can he be OK with Torrens defensive play? It's alarming.

sutz

Reaction score
Really can't argue about Torrens, for sure. That one passed ball last night was crap a little leaguer would have done.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sutz":1r07o4zy said:
Really can't argue about Torrens, for sure. That one passed ball last night was crap a little leaguer would have done.
That and that little stunt he pulled down in Texas last week. That blew the game and feels like it changed the trajectory of this season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":364bymbg said:

No, but the be (too) patient approach is putting them in bad hitting counts (2 strike counts).
As Peel said, they are looking @ too many fastballs down the middle of the plate.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":196m1tmg said:
sutz":196m1tmg said:

No, but the be (too) patient approach is putting them in bad hitting counts (2 strike counts).
As Peel said, they are looking @ too many fastballs down the middle of the plate.
Yeah, I'm seeing it, too. Not sure how "controlling the zone" leads to taking BP fastballs. :34853_doh:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1cdm74zg said:
Sports Hernia":1cdm74zg said:
sutz":1cdm74zg said:

Yeah, I'm seeing it, too. Not sure how "controlling the zone" leads to taking BP fastballs. :34853_doh:
It’s taking away the aggressiveness of the batter IMHO. Doesn’t mean swing at every first pitch but be looking for the first pitch meat fastball.

sutz

Reaction score
I remember Cano used to do that. But he would do it for several at bats, always taking the first pitch. Then after maybe a game or so, he'd jump on a first pitch fastball pitchers would serve up to him and crush it.

We don't seem to be doing that, though. Gotta give Kelenic credit. He jumped on the first pitch he saw. Didn't work out because the fielder made a heroic catch on the foul ball in the stands, but Kelenic at least swung at it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1ixcwsyv said:
I remember Cano used to do that. But he would do it for several at bats, always taking the first pitch. Then after maybe a game or so, he'd jump on a first pitch fastball pitchers would serve up to him and crush it.

We don't seem to be doing that, though. Gotta give Kelenic credit. He jumped on the first pitch he saw. Didn't work out because the fielder made a heroic catch on the foul ball in the stands, but Kelenic at least swung at it.
Remember Al Cowens? He would NEVER swing at the first pitch, and it drove me nuts, the opposing pitchers would always throw a BP fastball down the middle for the first pitch.

If you are a horrible 2-strike hitter (most of the M’s qualify for this) you shouldn’t be automatically taking the first pitch.
Trammell (who was sent down) and White (who should be sent down) always are/were in 0-2 counts.
That’s a bad hitting approach.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":6pomeihi said:
sutz":6pomeihi said:

Remember Al Cowens? He would NEVER swing at the first pitch, and it drove me nuts, the opposing pitchers would always throw a BP fastball down the middle for the first pitch.

If you are a horrible 2-strike hitter (most of the M’s qualify for this) you shouldn’t be automatically taking the first pitch.
Trammell (who was sent down) and White (who should be sent down) always are/were in 0-2 counts.
Guess I wasn't watching much baseball back then, but the little I know about the game says you're right. That's a stupid pattern to maintain, unless like I described Cano doing above, there is some strategy behind it. Pitchers are supposed to try to get to 0-1, 0-2, not hitters. :34853_doh:

You'd think after consistently getting down in the count AB after AB a light would come on and suggest 'maybe I should do something different.'

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":24s7b26e said:
Sports Hernia":24s7b26e said:
sutz":24s7b26e said:

Guess I wasn't watching much baseball back then, but the little I know about the game says you're right. That's a stupid pattern to maintain, unless like I described Cano doing above, there is some strategy behind it. Pitchers are supposed to try to get to 0-1, 0-2, not hitters. :34853_doh:

You'd think after consistently getting down in the count AB after AB a light would come on and suggest 'maybe I should do something different.'
You’d think....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2bosn1vs said:
Sports Hernia":2bosn1vs said:
And Kelenic goes yarrrrrdddddd! :2thumbs:

Ayeeeeee!!!!

Torrens needs to go. Go get cal.
Yep, agree.

And Kelenic with a double.

Julio went deep again for Everett. :2thumbs:

DJrmb

Reaction score
WTF is Scott pulling Flexen for right now? He was only at 85 pitches with 1 out to get out of the 6th with a runner on 1st (because Haggerty misplayed a fly ball). He's pitched well all night long. Why pull him there???

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":czhcdkqc said:
WTF is Scott pulling Flexen for right now? He was only at 85 pitches with 1 out to get out of the 6th with a runner on 1st (because Haggerty misplayed a fly ball). He's pitched well all night long. Why pull him there???
Don’t get it either.
2nd ball that Haggerty misplayed tonight. The one that went over his head early in the game he took a horrible route on.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":lm2jpv6d said:
DJrmb":lm2jpv6d said:
Don’t get it either.
2nd ball that Haggerty misplayed tonight. The one that went over his head early in the game he took a horrible route on.
Yeah I saw that one too. I was thinking why are to slowing down just before the ball went over his head... He's really fast but playing the outfield takes more than just speed. I hope Trammell gets right quickly and comes back up to replace him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DJrmb":wfnuadnh said:
Sports Hernia":wfnuadnh said:
DJrmb":wfnuadnh said:
Don’t get it either.
Yeah I saw that one too. I was thinking why are to slowing down just before the ball went over his head... He's really fast but playing the outfield takes more than just speed. I hope Trammell gets right quickly and comes back up to replace him.
Kelenic with another double and rbi. :2thumbs:
Then a Haniger bomb! :2thumbs:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Kelenic amazing tonight.

George Kirby watch, 5 innings of no hit baseball, gave up his first walk as a pro, struck out 8.

Julio Rodriguez watch, 1 for 4 with a HR tonight, homered in back to back games. Batting .333 with a 1.131 OPS this season.

Noelvi Marte watch, 3 for 6 with a double tonight, host 2md 3 hit game in a row, had 2 HR last night. Batting .364 with a .995 OPS this season.

I thinks Marte and Julio are a little advanced for their level.