The 2021 Seattle Mariners thread

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1nd4gza4 said:
The win formula for pitchers is ridiculous. Sheffield leaves the game after 6 innings with a 3-2 lead. Montero comes in and promptly lets them tie it up in the 7th. mariners take the lead in the 8th...Montero gets the win.
I’ve never been a fan of it myself.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2uszlid9 said:
Sadler singlehandedly lost the 2nd game, 2 out walk, then couldn’t field a simple ground ball, wild pitch, then gave up the winning hit.

He’s lucky I’m not the manager/GM, his butt would be in Tacoma (or the alternate site) tomorrow.
To be fair, The Ms had a 4 spot early by the end of the top of 3 and proceeded to let Baltimore tie it up by the end of the bottom of 3. All runs against Margevicius went unearned. Errors upon errors.

I will say, Sadler and Vest have been the best releivers by far. Although, they both struggled yesterday. Swanson looked really good. I hope he comes alive. A reliable power arm is needed.

Haggerty sent that ball into oblivion. That was impressive. Hopefully it's a growing moment for him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1hvrjjac said:
Sports Hernia":1hvrjjac said:
Sadler singlehandedly lost the 2nd game, 2 out walk, then couldn’t field a simple ground ball, wild pitch, then gave up the winning hit.

He’s lucky I’m not the manager/GM, his butt would be in Tacoma (or the alternate site) tomorrow.
To be fair, The Ms had a 4 spot early by the end of the top of 3 and proceeded to let Baltimore tie it up by the end of the bottom of 3. All runs against Margevicius went unearned. Errors upon errors.

I will say, Sadler and Vest have been the best releivers by far. Although, they both struggled yesterday. Swanson looked really good. I hope he comes alive. A reliable power arm is needed.

Haggerty sent that ball into oblivion. That was impressive. Hopefully it's a growing moment for him.
I know I was harsh on Sadler but he made 4 mistakes that inning (walk, error, wild pitch, game winning hit).

Yes, it’s only one game and I’m sure I’m overreacting, but I come from the old school thinking of Pinella and Sparky Anderson. Not worried about hurting a guy’s confidence, if that’s the issue, that’s what the minors are for.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3rrtraut said:
Thepeelsessions":3rrtraut said:
Sports Hernia":3rrtraut said:

I know I was harsh on Sadler but he made 4 mistakes that inning (walk, error, wild pitch, game winning hit).

Yes, it’s only one game and I’m sure I’m overreacting, but I come from the old school thinking of Pinella and Sparky Anderson. Not worried about hurting a guy’s confidence, if that’s the issue, that’s what the minors are for.

Manager isn't there to coddle players, he has position and assistants for that, he is there to push for performance.

If a player is so fragile they can't take the heat when screwing up they should have never been brought up in the first place.

balakoth

Reaction score
I have a question.. can we actually see Kelenic play against real MLB competition before we anoint him? Geeesh

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
What did I miss? I thought Dunn was starting today. Just seeing Marco in there. Either way, Os up after 1 and 34 Marco pitches later, 2-0 Marco's shitty play continues.

Can 710 stop with the Marco "bulldog on the mound" commercials? This is not an irrational take.

sutz

Reaction score
Looks like several key Astros just went on the IL today and won't be there for our series starting tomorrow. :twisted:

sutz

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2ewxu7ls said:
What did I miss? I thought Dunn was starting today. Just seeing Marco in there. Either way, Os up after 1 and 34 Marco pitches later, 2-0 Marco's shitty play continues.

Can 710 stop with the Marco "bulldog on the mound" commercials? This is not an irrational take.
Last night was rained out. Marco plays the top half of a double header and Dunn will probably pitch the back half this afternoon.

After a shaky start, Marco now on a bit of a roll. :mrgreen:

sutz

Reaction score
And Marco gets the win. :mrgreen:

Glad to see Graveman as the closer instead of Montero. :2thumbs:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
sutz":1fu6sevr said:
Thepeelsessions":1fu6sevr said:

Last night was rained out. Marco plays the top half of a double header and Dunn will probably pitch the back half this afternoon.

After a shaky start, Marco now on a bit of a roll. :mrgreen:

Wonder why Servais shuffled the rotation. Margevicius pitched the last game. Relieved that Marco was finally able to settle down. He was aces after that first inning.

Really glad to see Graveman close it out as well. I'm not ready to say I'd like to see him closing going forward. But I am ready to say I know there's no way I want to see Montero closing, for awhile at least. Until he shows we can be trusted in high leverage situations, he should remain as a relief arm.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
This team makes the playoffs this year or next. I still say this yr with 88 wins.

sutz

Reaction score
In the end, a great outing by Dunn. M's are 8-5 and leading the West. Championship! :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, our young guys are in their first full season. If they can keep this up over the grind of summer, we do have a chance at the playoffs, which would be great. Great way to celebrate Jackie Robinson Day, by sweeping the Orioles in a double header, and capping a 3-1 series. :2thumbs:

Haniger is on fire. Hard to believe he missed almost 2 years and came back this quick. We have 4 legit OF starters now, not counting Kelenic, who should be up in May. Nice problem to have. Hanny is probably trade bait, which makes me a bit sad because he's worked so hard and been through so much for this team, but he's most likely the odd man out.

Mariners baseball is fun again, at least for now. :snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
balakoth":6azyqdrd said:
I have a question.. can we actually see Kelenic play against real MLB competition before we anoint him? Geeesh
That’s my fault, guilty as charged. :oops:

That’s the issue though, I want to see him against MLB pitching.

If he’s a bust feel free to come back and throw it in my face. It won’t be the first plate of crow I’ve eaten. 8)

....but please tell me though, what Haggerty, Frahley, and Bishop did better than Kelenic to make the club.
I’m all ears.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":3i64whrg said:
In the end, a great outing by Dunn. M's are 8-5 and leading the West. Championship! :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, our young guys are in their first full season. If they can keep this up over the grind of summer, we do have a chance at the playoffs, which would be great. Great way to celebrate Jackie Robinson Day, by sweeping the Orioles in a double header, and capping a 3-1 series. :2thumbs:

Haniger is on fire. Hard to believe he missed almost 2 years and came back this quick. We have 4 legit OF starters now, not counting Kelenic, who should be up in May. Nice problem to have. Hanny is probably trade bait, which makes me a bit sad because he's worked so hard and been through so much for this team, but he's most likely the odd man out.

Mariners baseball is fun again, at least for now. :snack:
Big fan of Haniger too, but he’s going to be traded for much needed pitching at some point.
Haniger is a professional hitter that doesn’t give away many AB’s. A lineup with Lewis and JK will be a much better lineup and leave you with a strong bench.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I don't get all the Haniger trade talk at all. I just don't see how they can justify possibly trading him when he should be a building block. He's a stud and only 30 years old. He still has a TON of baseball left.

Lewis is a stud, but I have a feeling he'll always have a lingering issue with that knee. Kelenic and Rodriguez have never seen the majors. Trammell hasn't shown nearly enough. It's fun to dream of what that outfield should look like one day, but that's just it. It's just a dream. We won't know anything about these kids until we see them on the the field, or producing more.

This team needs pitching help, but I don't think sacrificing Haniger is the answer. I'd rather see them give Gilbert and Kirby shots at the big before that happens.

If this team is in serious contention by the deadline, they'd be foolish to deal Haniger. AND Seager, for that matter.

Plus, I trust Jerry to deal for a quality, reliable starting pitcher as much as I trust Pete and John to put together quality drafts. Jerry has a terrible track record with all the dunces he's traded for. And there have been a TON.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":vicalqdf said:
I don't get all the Haniger trade talk at all. I just don't see how they can justify possibly trading him when he should be a building block. He's a stud and only 30 years old. He still has a TON of baseball left.

Lewis is a stud, but I have a feeling he'll always have a lingering issue with that knee. Kelenic and Rodriguez have never seen the majors. Trammell hasn't shown nearly enough. It's fun to dream of what that outfield should look like one day, but that's just it. It's just a dream. We won't know anything about these kids until we see them on the the field, or producing more.

This team needs pitching help, but I don't think sacrificing Haniger is the answer. I'd rather see them give Gilbert and Kirby shots at the big before that happens.

If this team is in serious contention by the deadline, they'd be foolish to deal Haniger. AND Seager, for that matter.

Plus, I trust Jerry to deal for a quality, reliable starting pitcher as much as I trust Pete and John to put together quality drafts. Jerry has a terrible track record with all the dunces he's traded for. And there have been a TON.
I see your point, while respectfully disagreeing.
You are not going to get quality pitching without giving up quality something.
Jerry traded to get Haniger in the first place, plus he traded for Nola for France, Trammell (who’s supposed to be good) and another pitcher. He’s had his share of misses, but he also has some hits.

Haniger is your biggest “chip” to get pitching.

Crizilla

Reaction score
When the M's first got Haniger he got off to a slow start and i said send him to AAA (doh). Few years later now he needs to be in the line up. Screw trading him. M's should build a line up that puts fear into pitchers again (1995-2003). Keep all you can get. Pitching so far is average when looking at the stats, but so far best record in 1 run games. Trammel will eventually be replaced by Julio or Kelenic, so maybe Trammel is trade bait.

sutz

Reaction score
The idea of trading Haniger has more to do with the future than anything else. The trade-off being do you keep an older player at the end of his career, taking on all the free agent wrangling over his deal-which happens in another season or so-or do you go with a young guy that you have control over for the next 3-5 years?

I'm a die hard Haniger fan. Always have been and seeing him finally playing healthy is a joy to see. Will he play well enough that he turns into the next Seager, where they sign him to a long term deal, or does he play well enough to just be trade bait for more stringent team needs, of which pitching is the obvious one? I'm at least in part a realist, and Haniger's recent history with injury is troubling, TBS. His best value to the team as a whole might be as a trading chip. I wouldn't like that but I would understand it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":j4qpss3f said:
The idea of trading Haniger has more to do with the future than anything else. The trade-off being do you keep an older player at the end of his career, taking on all the free agent wrangling over his deal-which happens in another season or so-or do you go with a young guy that you have control over for the next 3-5 years?

I'm a die hard Haniger fan. Always have been and seeing him finally playing healthy is a joy to see. Will he play well enough that he turns into the next Seager, where they sign him to a long term deal, or does he play well enough to just be trade bait for more stringent team needs, of which pitching is the obvious one? I'm at least in part a realist, and Haniger's recent history with injury is troubling, TBS. His best value to the team as a whole might be as a trading chip. I wouldn't like that but I would understand it.
Well said.

Latest posts