The 49ers got waxed

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
So yeah...that was ugly. I actually expected them to lose, but that was way worse than I thought.

1) The D was just TORCHED. I haven't seen that in YEARS. It wasn't just Mahomes either. Reid had his way with Ryans scheme. The Jet sweeps to Hardman were genius. They took advantage of Bosa getting upfield and cut right underneath him. They gave up 529 yards of offense and before Henne came in they were giving up over 10 yards per play. To put that in perspective, the 49ers were leading the league in yards per play in the 4-5 range. D simply could not get off the field. They have injuries (Moseley, Kinlaw, Armstead) but that is ZERO excuse for that performance. Most of their guys were back. I don't expect to see that again this year.

2) They actually didn't play badly on offense and put up over 400 yards. Jimmy had 303 yards, 2 TDs and a horrific interception.

3) The 49ers may not be Christian McCaffrey away from being a SB team and I have no idea if the move was a mistake or not, but I'll say this...he looked GOOD. The dude arrived on friday, didn't even get a full practice in with the the team and he looked explosive and decisive. This game sucked as a Niner fan, but CMC really looked the part.

Here's the thing....49ers are only 1 game back in the division and they play only 1 more game this year against a team who currently has a winning record....and that team is Seattle whom they beat 27-7 in week 2. That's not to say they beat them again. My point is that the Chiefs are a different animal than any team they face for the rest of the year. Additionally, both the Rams and Seahawks still get to play the Chiefs this year.

Niners don't need to worry about the Chiefs unless they go to the Super Bowl...and that conversation is a LONG ways off.

As much as that game hurt to watch, just burn the tape and move on.
Well we still have yet to play the Panthers but I like our record. The offense is highly skilled and the defense is starting to “get it” so I like our balance heading into November. Your D was exposed yesterday in embarrassing fashion. Can Kyle hang with the big dogs Like Andy Reid, Pete Carroll and Beliceck? Not looking promising. The problem with having CMC is you’ll turn away from what worked before just to fit him into the scheme which means less touches for Deebo and Kittle

Marvin49

Reaction score
Well we still have yet to play the Panthers but I like our record. The offense is highly skilled and the defense is starting to “get it” so I like our balance heading into November. Your D was exposed yesterday in embarrassing fashion. Can Kyle hang with the big dogs Like Andy Reid, Pete Carroll and Beliceck? Not looking promising. The problem with having CMC is you’ll turn away from what worked before just to fit him into the scheme which means less touches for Deebo and Kittle
ok...

1) I wasn't making any comment about Seattle other than that they have a winning record and that the Niners beat them 27-7. I'm sure you DO feel good about them as I would had they just beaten SD. Good for you.

2) The D was exposed pretty badly by KC, but not really sure if there is another team/coach capable of doing that to them. We'll see, but I don't expect to see that happen again.

3) You are WAAAAYYY off on CMC. The 49ers are primarily a RUNNING team. Running with CMC won't limit Deebo or Kittle. It will limit Jeff Wilson Jr. At worst, it will prevent Deebo from getting a ton of carries from the backfield and I don't really mind that. Injuries at RB were a big reason he started getting those carries to begin with...first with Mostert and later with Mitchell.

Alot was made of the fact that the 49ers haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since Frank Gore. That's true, but that not because they aren't a running team and have a powerful run game. Its that their RBs share the load.

They get Elijah Mitchell back after the bye, You could do ALOT worse than a CMC, Juice, Mitchell backfield.

I understand the desire to hate on the CMC move. I get it as an opposing fan. I also get that there are some very real questions about giving that much up for a RB, and I don't disagree entirely.

This is kinda how I look at it tho...

The Shanahans have been EXCELLENT at taking good RBs and making them look REALLY good in their scheme. That's makes some people think, "why ever expend resources there if you get 1000 yard seasons out of low draft picks and FAs"?

My answer is this: Yes, they can make the likes of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Alfred Morris, Raheem Mostert and others look good....but they can also make REALLY good runners look like Hall of Famers (see Terrell Davis).

Seems kinda ludicrous to me to think that a HOF back and a so-so back would be considered exactly the same in that scheme.

I mean Marshawn is another good example of that. Similar ZBS scheme and the dude was just unstoppable for several years there.

I have concerns RE cost and injury history, but I can't lie...dude is awesome if he can stay on the field.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
That’s a rather positive way of looking at it Marvin but Kyle is going on 4 losing seasons in 6 years with SF. His win/loss record has been about as consistent as a liquid shart. You boast of weapons yet Seattle’s weapons are better and deeper offensively. Look at the numbers

bigskydoc

Reaction score
CMC will be a beast in that system as long as they do a good job of limiting his carries, and that system SHOULD limit his carries. As a Hawks fan, I hate the trade. Niners should be giddy with it.

Unless they treat him as a bell cow back.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Niners lost to the Chiefs, pretty damn good team, now losing to the Falcons? Yikes. SF should pretty much destroy the current Seahawks' team, they are absolutely talented enough for that but that little reprieve of not being prison pounded by Seattle is going to be a short window. SF is going to continue to attack with their DL and that is trouble for most teams but if their offense can't keep that defense on the sidelines? SF is going to have a tough go of getting anywhere.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not ready to bury the Niners just yet, other than maybe the Bills and Eagles the Chiefs are the best team in the entire NFL.

Probably more shows that the NFC is pretty mediocre this year from top to bottom.

Now why does Shanahan continue to get a free pass for continuing to trade away top picks for players that don't work out and still has a below .500 record as a head coach?

Yeah THAT'S a real criticism.

TAB420

Reaction score
CMC will be a beast in that system as long as they do a good job of limiting his carries, and that system SHOULD limit his carries. As a Hawks fan, I hate the trade. Niners should be giddy with it.

Unless they treat him as a bell cow back.
Great player (when healthy) but a horrible trade.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The amount of draft capital involved was mind boggling
Yea - I don't get that. They got handed their asses.

My wife was like "damn - he went to San fran". I was like: "for that much draft capital they can HAVE that dude".

Another friend of mine said: "Maybe he was RW3'ing it in Carolina - THAT'S" why they played so much better without him!

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'm not ready to bury the Niners just yet, other than maybe the Bills and Eagles the Chiefs are the best team in the entire NFL.

Probably more shows that the NFC is pretty mediocre this year from top to bottom.

Now why does Shanahan continue to get a free pass for continuing to trade away top picks for players that don't work out and still has a below .500 record as a head coach?

No - I'm not writing off the 49ers. I was. Then I saw them for a bit yesterday. If there's a problem for us in our division, IMHO - it's sanfran. I would have love JimmyG to tank after playing footsie with us prior to the season. But he hasn't. Look out for these guys.

And as far as that top picks for players that don't work out - Deion Branch..... anyone.... Bueller... anyone... ;) Ya, I get they are different positions - but we've got a couple on us - everything doesn't work out.

BUT - middle aged running back. Nope.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Toffee I love as a man but why do you constantly believe that some decision was sitting on Jodies table of firing Pete to keep Russ?

She is not a hands on owner. She is holding the team in trust. Paul believed in Pete and brought him in and gave him a lots of power. I am sure she believes in Paul's vision.

You really think Russ had ownerships ear?

There never was a "DECISION " to be made IMHO. Pete did what he knew he could do.

Only the fans think there was a decision between Pete and RW.
According to Toffee's theory, Russ had the power to control Pete.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
49ers were 3-5 going in to week 9 last year and almost won the nfc championship… lots of games left
Congratulations on going from a 3-5 record to almost winning the NFC championship last year. Where should we send the flowers?

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
ok...

1) I wasn't making any comment about Seattle other than that they have a winning record and that the Niners beat them 27-7. I'm sure you DO feel good about them as I would had they just beaten SD. Good for you.

2) The D was exposed pretty badly by KC, but not really sure if there is another team/coach capable of doing that to them. We'll see, but I don't expect to see that happen again.

3) You are WAAAAYYY off on CMC. The 49ers are primarily a RUNNING team. Running with CMC won't limit Deebo or Kittle. It will limit Jeff Wilson Jr. At worst, it will prevent Deebo from getting a ton of carries from the backfield and I don't really mind that. Injuries at RB were a big reason he started getting those carries to begin with...first with Mostert and later with Mitchell.

Alot was made of the fact that the 49ers haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since Frank Gore. That's true, but that not because they aren't a running team and have a powerful run game. Its that their RBs share the load.

They get Elijah Mitchell back after the bye, You could do ALOT worse than a CMC, Juice, Mitchell backfield.

I understand the desire to hate on the CMC move. I get it as an opposing fan. I also get that there are some very real questions about giving that much up for a RB, and I don't disagree entirely.

This is kinda how I look at it tho...

The Shanahans have been EXCELLENT at taking good RBs and making them look REALLY good in their scheme. That's makes some people think, "why ever expend resources there if you get 1000 yard seasons out of low draft picks and FAs"?

My answer is this: Yes, they can make the likes of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Alfred Morris, Raheem Mostert and others look good....but they can also make REALLY good runners look like Hall of Famers (see Terrell Davis).

Seems kinda ludicrous to me to think that a HOF back and a so-so back would be considered exactly the same in that scheme.

I mean Marshawn is another good example of that. Similar ZBS scheme and the dude was just unstoppable for several years there.

I have concerns RE cost and injury history, but I can't lie...dude is awesome if he can stay on the field.
Even Marshawn got stopped. CMC will be stopped at times and good teams can limit the damage done by any player. It's true that CMC will get his yards but it won't necessarily lead to wins. Too many sports cars sometimes are simply too many. The fuel may get diluted as a result and you can only drive one car at a time.

The injury thing is a bigger concern, and as a RB it is inevitable that he'll get hurt - will he be able to play through it or need to be sidelined?

If this move pays off, then great for the 9ers and fans but the odds seem long. Especially given the already limited draft picks - the top being from the fourth round on (3rd round compensatory is an early fourth rounder).

Being the king of the hill is tough, but the drama is a sight to see.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

It's the injuries, didn't you read the headlines?

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
No - I'm not writing off the 49ers. I was. Then I saw them for a bit yesterday. If there's a problem for us in our division, IMHO - it's sanfran. I would have love JimmyG to tank after playing footsie with us prior to the season. But he hasn't. Look out for these guys.

And as far as that top picks for players that don't work out - Deion Branch..... anyone.... Bueller... anyone... ;) Ya, I get they are different positions - but we've got a couple on us - everything doesn't work out.

BUT - middle aged running back. Nope.
This thread isn't about the Seahawks though - and guess what - every team makes trades that are deemed to be overpaid or unsuccessful after the fact.

This is a thread about the 49ers and how they had a bad day at the office which has led to discussions about the CMC trade. CMC played and did well (taking the comments about him as truth as I didn't get to watch), but the 49ers still had a pretty bad day.

Marvin49

Reaction score
That’s a rather positive way of looking at it Marvin but Kyle is going on 4 losing seasons in 6 years with SF. His win/loss record has been about as consistent as a liquid shart. You boast of weapons yet Seattle’s weapons are better and deeper offensively. Look at the numbers
"Going on"

Dude. They are 1 game under .500 in week 7. lol.

Seattles weapons are better? I'm not gonna attack Seattle, but I'm just fine with CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Juice, and Michell behind CMC.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Even Marshawn got stopped. CMC will be stopped at times and good teams can limit the damage done by any player. It's true that CMC will get his yards but it won't necessarily lead to wins. Too many sports cars sometimes are simply too many. The fuel may get diluted as a result and you can only drive one car at a time.

The injury thing is a bigger concern, and as a RB it is inevitable that he'll get hurt - will he be able to play through it or need to be sidelined?

If this move pays off, then great for the 9ers and fans but the odds seem long. Especially given the already limited draft picks - the top being from the fourth round on (3rd round compensatory is an early fourth rounder).

Being the king of the hill is tough, but the drama is a sight to see.

The price of the deal in draft compensation is a fair criticism. Honestly I don't even know how I feel about it. Having al the comp picks tho makes it palatable, particularly given how well they do late in the draft. Burford (starting guard), Lenior, Hufanga, Mitchell, Jennings, Greenlaw, Reed (tho made his name after release), Kittle, DJ Jones....all drafted by this regime after the 3rd round.

What I CAN say tho is the dude is electric and it's exciting to watch.

Yes, even the best get stopped, the THREAT of them and what a team has to do to force someone else to beat you can be a HUGE boon to the entire offense.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The price of the deal in draft compensation is a fair criticism. Honestly I don't even know how I feel about it. Having al the comp picks tho makes it palatable, particularly given how well they do late in the draft. Burford (starting guard), Lenior, Hufanga, Mitchell, Jennings, Greenlaw, Reed (tho made his name after release), Kittle, DJ Jones....all drafted by this regime after the 3rd round.

What I CAN say tho is the dude is electric and it's exciting to watch.

Yes, even the best get stopped, the THREAT of them and what a team has to do to force someone else to beat you can be a HUGE boon to the entire offense.
The comp picks all come at the end of the 3rd you get 2 3rd rounders let’s not act like it makes up for mortgaging your future on a bust and an injury plagued running back. Nobody wants your DC as a head coach trust me. Shane Waldron has a better chance of being hired away