Great Article on The Athletic about the XFL

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Really nice article on the current ratings. On one side the viewership data is dramatically sinking, but there are multiple factors - the NCAA tourney being a huge reason at the moment - and there's reason for hope. I can't post the entire article but here are some highlights. I highly recommend spending the $1 a month for The Athletic. Excellent content.

XFL midseason TV report card: Ratings have dropped, but is a rebound ahead?
By Bill Shea
Mar 22, 2023

...The second week of the 2023 season began the steep decline, which was made even worse this past weekend thanks to the two NCAA basketball tournaments and the World Baseball Classic, both airing on multiple channels.

Here’s a breakdown of the XFL’s first five weeks.

XFL midseason TV viewership
WEEKVIEWERSHIP AVERAGENETWORKS
Week 11.3 millionABC, ESPN, FX, ESPN Deportes, ESPN+
Week 2659,000ESPN, ESPN2, FX, ESPN Deportes, ESPN+
Week 3572,000FX, ESPN, ESPN+
Week 4507,000ESPN2, FX, ESPN Deportes, ESPN+
Week 5267,000ESPN, ESPN2, FX, ESPN Deportes, ESPN+

The XFL’s network partner says the March ratings dip was not a surprise, since everyone knows that the eyeball-hogging basketball tournaments are played every year (except during pandemics).

“This weekend the viewership pattern was not unexpected as the XFL faced tough direct competition due to the start of March Madness,” said Tim Reed, ESPN’s vice president of programming and acquisitions, in a statement to The Athletic.

“However, the action-packed and innovative games are clearly resonating — the rest of the season has delivered within our expectations and we’re pleased with the interest we’re seeing across linear, streaming, digital and social platforms. We recently adjusted matchups and schedules working closely with the league to better serve fans, and we have our broadest distribution slated for the remainder of the regular season, including five games on ABC.”

...We don’t specifically know the league or network’s internal success metrics that ultimately fuel a thumbs up or down on the XFL’s future. Are the numbers enough to justify costs and ad rates? ESPN and Fox eventually may decide they’re better served with cheaper content in those timeslots, or the games may be doing what the network wants — and that’s ultimately what matters for such a property.

...The XFL has noted that TV ratings are not its only success measure. It said game attendance is more than 286,000 total through Week 5, including the 35,000-plus in St. Louis, and its digital and social media growth at the mid-point of the season includes 347 million views on its various platforms, more than 306,000 new social media followers, and almost 30,000 people signing up for the XFL’s emails.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
A few thoughts.

1. Offer the games on Saturday and Sunday over fx. Replay them over the weekend. No conflict with college basketball Then.

2. Player 54 should broadcast before each days games. There should also be a pregame segment where they talk about who to look for.Players, for example, who are most likely to make it back to the nfl.

3. minimize Dani Garcia’s appearances. Some People are uncharismatic, and she is one.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
See, this is what I mean.

All games televised over broadcast. And you Can watch them all free and legal like anything else on free broadcast through puffer.stanford.edu (won’t work on Apple products).

Regular pregame shows, too.

Also, Marshawnis part owner of the team, too.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They need to regulate their schedules...In the NFL, we always know when the games are to be played. The XFL tends to be all over the place. That would be a start. I love the pregame idea...Treat it more like the NFL in that way. Continue to improve the in-game audio, their incessant need to mic anything and everything becomes obnoxious to follow. Less is more, like the NFL. Absolutely keep key conversations between players and coaches, and the transparency with Dean Blandino in the review booth is EXCELLENT!! The NFL will never do that but they should. Remove the cloak of secrecy as to why reviews go one way or the other.

The XFL are doing some things right. No point after attempt by the kicker is great. Go for 1, 2 or 3. The kickoff rule is cool too. But by far, my favorite thing of ALL is that ANY PLAY CAN BE REVIEWED!! You have ONE chance so there's no excuse of it slowing the game down.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Super fixed bowl? Not sure what that has to do with the XFL?

NoGain

Reaction score
I spend too much time on NFL and NCAA football already.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I spend too much time on NFL and NCAA football already.

Both of which are dormant. You’re down to watching some 2003 game on nfln or turning to espn at 10 am to watch the Battlehawks clobber the vipers.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I was confused when I saw 'Great' and 'XFL' in the same sentence, but now I see it was actually a reference to Bill Shea's journalism.

Kudos to Bill! He has now single-handedly doubled the amount of time I have invested in following the XFL.

DJrmb

Reaction score
To each their own, but I think the XFL is doing a lot of things great and I've been thoroughly entertained watching games. Their partnership with the NFL (rather than trying to compete in any way) is going to be the difference from all the other failed leagues in my opinion, and the reason it will stick around and be successful. Besides just the players that could move up, it's cool to know that the NFL can and will use the XFL as a proving ground for new rules, technology, and innovations that may come to the NFL eventually too.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I can see the XFL succeed if the NFL takes them and puts them under their wing like a minor league that feeds the NFL or something like the WNBA is to the NBA where the NFL helps out money wise to help keep them afloat otherwise it won’t survive