The Good, Bad, and the Ugly from win over Niners

jlaff35

Reaction score
This is an article I wrote for our blog, hawksontap.com, but wanted to share it here for my friends at .net. I know it's been a crazy season so far, and I believe our best football is in front of us. Get strapped in for a crazy 4th quarter of the season! If you want to read the article in it's best format, head to my blog where there are pictures, etc. But if not, enjoy it here!

In a game that both teams surely had circled back when the schedule came out, only one of them showed up on Thursday Night in Santa Clara. For the second time in five days, the defending champion Seahawks rendered a division foe completely lifeless, much in the way a boa constrictor squeezes the life out of it’s prey every time it takes a breath. The Hawks defense is back in a big way, actually performing better recently than last year’s legendary group. Sure the Cardinals are in first place and have had a great season, but make no mistake…….the Niners are the Hawks chief rival, and until that beast is completely slain, will remain so. The thing that is so great to see, is that the Hawks star players always show up and play great games versus the Niners, while their star players play some of their worst games, and are generally invisible. At this point, it is fair to say that the Hawks own the Niners, and with round 2 of this showdown set for week 15 at Century Link field, we will prove that case even further. Let’s take a look at some of the standout performances from the latest chapter in the NFL’s best rivalry.

The Good

Darrell Bevell - I am probably his harshest critic, so it’s only fair that I give him credit when it’s due. He seems to be catering the game plan to Russell Wilson’s strengths, and it’s paying off as Wilson has gone over 200 yards passing in both the last two games against two of the NFL’s best defenses after a four game stretch of under 200 yards passing. I still hate, and always will, using shotgun formation/read option from the 1 yard line on first and goal. Absolutely brutal that we couldn’t score after Tony Moeaki’s huge catch and run. The good news is that in the second half, we went away from the shotgun and started running Lynch out of I formation (I contend that this is where Lynch is at his most effective), which really helped out play action pass game. The timing on play action passes works so much better from under center than from out of shotgun, as the receiver has a little more time to create separation when the quarterback is under center and has to take an extra second or so to get back to his launch point. This is something not mentioned very often, but to me it’s painfully obvious.

Marshawn Lynch – all this guy does is play his heart out and leave his blood and guts on the field. The day that Lynch is not a Hawk, is a day TunaHawk will probably shed a tear or two. Nobody else encapsulates the attitude, toughness, tenacity, and heart of the Hawks like Lynch does. It’s not a coincidence that once Lynch became a Hawk, we started to go from division winner at 7-9 NFL punch line, to eventual Super Bowl champs with legitimate chances to repeat. The Niners never give up 100 yard rushers, yet Marshawn gashes them for over 100 almost every single time he plays them. To be a great team, you need your best players to play their best in the biggest games, and with Lynch that’s exactly what you get.

Richard Sherman - yet another instance of seeing your best players play their best in the biggest games, Sherman never misses a chance to make life hell for his former college coach Jim Harbaugh. After all the trash the Niners talked about Sherman all offseason, saying he wasn’t that great, that he’s afraid of their receivers and they can’t wait to exploit it, etc, they sure fell flat on Thursday. And now Sherman has all new material to blast the Niners with after picking off Kaepernick twice, and believe me, he’s blasting them! He’s already called their fans “mediocre” and mocked the Niners sideline during the game, telling them “if you guys throw it my way, i’ll end the game” just prior to his game icing 2nd interception. So glad Sherm is a Hawk!

Midfield Turkey Feast – how humiliating it must be to be a Niner fan today. Shiny new stadium, engineered to try to emulate Century Link acoustics, second highest profile game only to the Super Bowl, and the Hawks end up dominating from start to finish and cap off the night with Sherman and Wilson breaking bread with Michelle Tafoya on the 50 yard line of your home turf. Hahaha this is an image that will be used over and over again in the trash talk feuds between these fanbases. This is worse than Terrell Owens racing to midfield and slamming the ball on the Dallas star when he was a Niner. Well played Hawks, well played. Oh, and how much better are Hawk fans than Niner fans? Of all the TV’s that were on in Seattle area, 74% of them were tuned to the Hawks game (ummm, what the heck were the other 26% watching?) and only about 49% of all households in San Francisco were tuned to the game. Perhaps even their fans are sick of the whole Kaepernick/Harbaugh douche fest?

The Entire Defense
– too hard to single them all out. Bobby Wagner was everywhere. Earl Thomas was flying around and hitting everything in sight. Kam Chancellor is back to being his intimidating self. Whatever the heck Earl Thomas said to our defensive line at practice that almost caused a brawl, it’s working, as Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett are making life hell for opposing QB’s lately. Jordan Hill playing surprisingly well in place of Brandon Mebane. Bruce Irvin just being an athletic freak, and really stepping up his work in the run game. KJ Wright being rock solid, as per usual. It’s clear now that this team is going to as far as the defense will take them, and if the last two games are any indication, that destination is University of Phoenix Stadium in February. Two straight games of only allowing a measly FG, and holding the hated Niners, who were at full strength in their own stadium to only 164 yards, is insane. After starting the season as a middle of the road defense, the Hawks have reclaimed the #1 defense title both in stats and league perception.

The Bad

Penalties – this is getting crazy. It’s like every play there has to be a flag thrown. The NFL really needs to address this in the offseason, as it’s really bringing down the entertainment value of their product, unless their goal is to make celebrities out of Ed Hochuli, Jeff Tripplette, Gene Steratore, and company. What a fricking joke. Hawks have now been called for 102 penalties on the year, while their opponents have only been called for 51. It’s to the point now where I’m actually shocked when I see a flag go against the other team. Granted, many of these flags are self induced false starts and offsides, and we have to clean that up. I really think it reflects poorly on our coaching staff to have a team this undisciplined and getting flagged so many times for the same things over and over. Come on Pete, get this fixed.

The Ugly

Red Zone Offense – “warm up the kicker” is becoming not just a saying, it’s becoming a way of life. I’m starting to wonder if we would ever score if not for the short fields afforded us by our defense. Not really sure where to place the blame. Penalties have been a killer. Wilson surely must take some of the blame. Bevell as well. Not scoring on 1st and goal from the 1 inch line is about as bad as it gets. Someday very soon, we’re going to play in a game in which we need touchdowns, not field goals. We must hope and pray that we have this issue figured out by then. Here’s a hint: When it’s first and goal at the one, there is no excuse for not bringing in the heavy package, lining up in I formation, and giving Lynch 3 straight tries to pound it in, and a 4th if necessary. There’s no way any defense, not even the Hawks own defense, could stop Lynch four times in a row from the 1. Sometimes we just try to get too cute and outthink ourselves as an offense, when basic Seahawk football would do.

Looking forward to this weekend after having our huge win in the bag already. A couple of games to really keep an eye on this weekend are Patriots vs Packers and Cardinals vs Falcons. In the last 5 days I’ve gone from hoping to squeeze into the playoffs, to thinking we will win the division and have a shot at home field advantage. If the Patriots can beat the Packers, and then both the Hawks and Packers win out, the Hawks would get the #1 seed thanks to our head to head win over them in Week 1. Of course, we still need the Cards to lose, and an early 10am game on the east coast may be just the right elixir for that! No, the Falcons are not a very good team, but they are in first place and still have everything to play for, and it’s not hard to see them beating the Cards in this situation. A Cardinal loss to the Falcons puts the Hawks in control of their own destiny for the NFC West title, with a huge game looming in Phoenix in week 16. Enjoy the long weekend, knowing that so much was won on Thursday night, yet there’s still more greatness that could happen on Sunday!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Good stuff. Agreed that the flags make watching the games almost painful.

It's obviously one sided, but the self induced pre snap stuff drives me nuts. Not expecting it to get fixed - same thing every season. They obviously can't figure out how to fix it , for some reason.

I will say there is no correlation between penalties and success. The top 3 most penalized teams are Seattle, New England and Denver. The least penalized is Jacksonville. Go figure.

Red zone... We are close. Don't forget Richardsons TD negated by an absolute bs call.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Nice post. I do think we out think ourselves in the red zone and the penalty situation has gotten far beyond ridiculous levels.

baumer64

Reaction score
Good write up.
Was cool to see the ESPN play-off machine up and running. Yes GB needs to lose one as do the Cards along with the Hawks running out the string. Cards will definitely lose at least one more before we meet them the final week. GB... flip a coin.
GO HAWKS!!!

-Pete-

Reaction score
De-lurking. Bobby being back is huge. But I think a healthy BamBam makes this D. It's just a different feel when he's out there and 100%. Just having him out there makes ETIII better, if that's possible.

To be balanced, dat Red Zone doe. I wanna see Hausch-Money for EP only.

Go 'Hawks!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
baumer64":19z4o7g4 said:
Good write up.
Was cool to see the ESPN play-off machine up and running. Yes GB needs to lose one as do the Cards along with the Hawks running out the string. Cards will definitely lose at least one more before we meet them the final week. GB... flip a coin.
GO HAWKS!!!
I'm hoping Atlanta pulls a rabbit out of the hat but more likely would be seeing Kansas City win because that's a balanced solid team that should give Arizona everything and more then it wants. They could be in a 3 way tie in the AFCW by the time that game hits but worse would be to be in 3rd place on the outside looking in with 4 games left. So I would bet they will be bringing their A game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Remember when we were 1-0.

Remember when we were 1-1.

Remember when we were 3-1.

Remember when we were 3-3.

Remember when we were 6-3.

Remember when we were 6-4.

Now the we the Seahawks are 8-4.

Its been a crazy roller coaster ride of a season... love every moment of it.

Also, JLAFF... I always enjoy reading your posts.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":qt410ni0 said:

Thank you guys for the kind words! I've been a member of this site for a long time, but just recently have started to post more and be more involved. I've been doing my own blog at hawksontap.com this entire season, and I've just started to post my entries over here at .net too in order to contribute and spark some good conversation.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
The refs are messing us over this season. PC is right. Every time they call something, I look at my tv real hard and I'M JUST NOT SEEING IT, REF, AND I'M THINKING THERE'S A STRONG POSSIBILITY YOU'RE ON THE CRACK PIPE.

p.s. You can use that in your blog if you want to, jlaff.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Ahh this is pretty cool. We don't have the Random Thoughts thread anymore, which was my weekly staple. So, I'll check out Hawksontap. Thanks Jlaff. I think we'll get the red zone offense going. That was a really cool play to Richardson. I like the I formation idea. At least this week we didn't try a corner fade to DB again. A challenge after the Moeaki play would've at least had them see to move the ball up two feet if not calling it six points. Yes, one, two three or four right up the middle with a power package. A lot of times we're getting penalized once in the red zone. That is really tough.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up. My gut tells me we're close to breaking through in the red zone. Oh, and great info on the TV ratings in the respective cities.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The TE problem that plagued them earlier this season is now starting to become a strength. I hope they consider keeping Moeaki on for next season. Let Willson, Helfet, and McCoy battle it out for the final spot.

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1eencrqx said:
Remember when we were 1-0.

Remember when we were 1-1.

Remember when we were 3-1.

Remember when we were 3-3.

Remember when we were 6-3.

Remember when we were 6-4.

Now the we the Seahawks are 8-4.

Its been a crazy roller coaster ride of a season... love every moment of it.

Yeah. For as "uneven" as the last 6 games have felt (excluding the last 2 beat downs), we've gone 5 and 1 since being at 3 and 3 on the season. Bananas. :thirishdrinkers: :49ersmall:

Happy

Reaction score
good writeup man!

The turkey dinner at midfield...I've been chuckling about that all day. That was really something. Russ looked hungry too.

Good times.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The turkey dinner was some pro wrestling zaniness. I totally loved it!

chet380

Reaction score
"... When it’s first and goal at the one, there is no excuse for not bringing in the heavy package, lining up in I formation, and giving Lynch 3 straight tries to pound it in, and a 4th if necessary. There’s no way any defense, not even the Hawks own defense, could stop Lynch four times in a row from the 1."

Yes they can, and in fact have done, when the D line is packed with jumbos and our O line is sub-optimal (usually due to injuries). Option B and C have to be considered.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Good stuff.

Well one thing we can say about the Hawks under PC/JS there typically comes a time during the season that things fall into place then we go on a run. IF we keep building on the way these last games they should be ready for a great push in the postseason.

TXHawk

Reaction score
jlaff35":3k2bm0h3 said:
Looking forward to this weekend after having our huge win in the bag already. A couple of games to really keep an eye on this weekend are Patriots vs Packers and Cardinals vs Falcons. In the last 5 days I’ve gone from hoping to squeeze into the playoffs, to thinking we will win the division and have a shot at home field advantage. If the Patriots can beat the Packers, and then both the Hawks and Packers win out, the Hawks would get the #1 seed thanks to our head to head win over them in Week 1. Of course, we still need the Cards to lose, and an early 10am game on the east coast may be just the right elixir for that! No, the Falcons are not a very good team, but they are in first place and still have everything to play for, and it’s not hard to see them beating the Cards in this situation. A Cardinal loss to the Falcons puts the Hawks in control of their own destiny for the NFC West title, with a huge game looming in Phoenix in week 16. Enjoy the long weekend, knowing that so much was won on Thursday night, yet there’s still more greatness that could happen on Sunday!

The Cowboys would also need to lose another game but that's probably a foregone conclusion based on the way they played against the Eagles yesterday. Looks like they decided to start their annual December swoon a few days early this year.

If things break right the Seahawks could be in control of their own destiny for the #1 seed as early as next Thursday.

OP
OP
J

jlaff35

Reaction score
Yeah Ive kinda dismissed the Cowboys. They travel to Philly, and still have the Colts on the schedule too.