Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1aw7zgoy said:
FirstLastCollegePosYearsGamesStarts
EdBradleyWake ForestLB19761414
CornellWebsterTulsaS1977-19805233
RayWilmerLouisiana TechS198430
LouBrockSouthern CalCB198810
MackStrongGeorgiaFB1993-2007209111

Ed Bradley started every game at MLB in 1976, but was traded in the off-season to San Francisco for DT Bill Sandifer. I show 55 players on the roster in 1976. Of those 30 were not around at all in 1977. However, 13 players were still there in 1976 and 6 were still there in 1982, 7 years later. By comparison, the current Seahawks have 1 player who's been around 7 years. Only 16 players on the roster in 2010 were also there in 2013. Draw your own conclusions.

Cornell Webster is an interesting story. He was an undrafted free agent in 1977 and the starting CB by 1978 and one of the best players on the team at that point. However, things got strange in 1980. He disappeared during training camp for few days, and then showed up again. After week 6 in 1980 he decided to retire, but 6 weeks later came back, played 2 games, and then was suspended for not showing up for medical appointments. Sounds like he was fighting knee problems.

Lou Brock is the son of the former Mariner's manager and baseball Hall of Famer.

I don't think we'll ever see a career like Mack Strong again. He started on the practice squad and started at fullback in 1996 only to lose the job in 1998. He was cut in 1999 but re-signed. Meanwhile, the list of fullbacks brought in to replace him his laughably large. After all that, he became the dominant blocker and leader after about 9 years on the team. His career best rushing came in 2003, his 10th year in the league. In 2006 he had 308 yards from scrimage, the 2nd highest in his 14 year career. He was a far better player at 35 than he was 25! He'd still be going if a neck injury hadn't stopped him at age 36.

In 14 seasons he managed a meager 909 career rushing yards, but his lead blocking for Shaun Alexander is what we remember best. A true class guy and fan favorite.

Mack strongx

Aside from Big Walt, Mack is probably my other favorite Hawk of all time. Guy was a warrior for us!

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
AutryBeamonEast Texas St.S1977-19974539
GreggoryJohnsonOklahoma StateS1981-1983, 1986593
CharlesRomesNorth Carolina CentralCB198710
JohnnieJohnsonTexasS198931
PatrickHunterNevada-RenoCB1986-1994122100
TonyCovingtonVirginiaS1995110
JordanBabineauxSouthern ArkansasS2004-201010932
AtariBigbyCentral FloridaS2011152
WinstonGuyKentuckyS201230
TharaldSimonLouisiana StateCB201300
tr][td]Willie[/td][td]Williams[/td][td]Western Carolina[/td][td]CB[/td][td]1997[/td][td]106[/td][td]74[/td][/tr]

Autry Beamon came to Seattle in a trade in '77 and fast became one of the Seahawk's beat defensive players. He led the team in interceptions his first season in 1977. From week 6 in '77 he started the next 39 of 40 games. As with many good players from those years, he had a few great years but ended up in a fight for his starting job in 1980. When veterans weren't starters, they were let go. Beamon is still one of my favorite guys from the early years.

Greggory Johnson was a backup safety. He played three years but signed with the USFL in 1984. When that league folded, he and Kerry Justin came back to the Seahawks in 1986 since the team held their rights.

Charles Romes is the first player in Seahawk's history signed just for the playoffs, which is why he isn't on the "official" all-time roster.

I put Tharald Simon in there as the most current #27, although if he never plays in Seattle I'll probably just axe him off the list. I'm an optomist by nature, just so you know. He was #34 in training camp but media releases after that put him at #27.

Three interesting players compete for MVP at #27. Patrick Hunter held down the staring job for most of 8 seasons. He was a rock of some very good defenses, even though he only managed 12 picks in 9 Seahawk seasons. Hunter was always solid... good in coverage and a good tackler. Just never a pro bowl type guy.

Willie Williams was signed from Pittsburgh the same year as Chad Brown. The dude was small but played with heart and passion beyond his size. He got beat more often than others, but you never questioned his toughness and the coaches loved him to a fault. Fans weren't always so forgiving, but he deserves our sincere respect.

Jordan Babineaux will always be "Big Play Babs". Babs was undrafted, then on the practice squad .. but once he got his chance he was always in the right spot at the right time. His greatest moment was tackling Romo by the ankles after the botched snap in the wildcard game after the '06 season. A moment in team history none of us will ever forget.

Babs is sealed in Seahawks lore, but Hunter deserves the MVP at #27.

eda9f615a0b5c8045da3a2069854bbd14f2caf73.jpg

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
KerryJustinOregon StateCB1978-1983, 1986-198710737
JamesJeffersonTexas A&ICB1989-1993583
CarltonGrayUCLACB1993-19965445
TimHauckMontanaS1997160
ChrisCantyKansas StateCB1999-2000273
KenHamlinArkansasS2003-20065855
JoshWilsonMarylandCB2007-20094223
MichaelRobinsonPenn StateFB2010-20135722

In 1978 the Seahawks drafted for defense, especially defensive backfield. The first round was Keith Simpson, who went on to have a decent career. The third round pick, however, was DB Bob Jury, who was cut in camp. Two others rookie DBs made the roster that year. 7th rounder John Harris started from day one, and undrafted Kerry Justin played every game and became a key special teamer. Justin went from backup to starter in 1980, and started much of the next 4 seasons before bolting for the USFL. 4 of his 7 career interceptions came after he came back to Seattle in 1986.

Michael Robinson came to Seattle after being cut by San Francisco prior to the 2010 season. I think when we look back on this era of Seahawk football (say, 20 years from now), we will watch the "Real Rob Reports" for some of the best inside looks at this team.

Ken Hamlin started his career as seemingly the next dominant safety, until a street fight ended his 2005 year in scary fashion. He came back in 2006 and I thought he was still very good, but the team didn't make much effort to bring him back. Still, for a while there he was our enforcer on defense and I still think the best #26 in team history.

628x471

Shaz

Reaction score
I can't put Hamlin over Mike Rob only for the fact that without Mike Robs leadership and blocking, would this team have been as Super?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hamlin is a good call for #26. We all loved him while he was here.

As for #28, it reminded me of Michael Boulware. Dang, I thought that guy was going to be a star. He showed flashes of being a great player, but he just couldn't put it all together consistently. I wonder if he would have excelled more under this current coaching staff.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
DonDufekMichiganS1976-19841006
RickSanfordSouth CarolinaS198550
DavidHollisNevada-Las VegasS1987-1989280
RobertBlackmonBaylorS1990-199610796
MarkCollinsCal State FullertonS199890
BrianWalkerWashington StateS199950
ReggieTongueOregon StateS2000-20036353
MichaelHardenMissouriCB2004-200540
RichGardnerPenn StateCB200610
BrianRussellSan Diego StateS2007-20083434
JamarAdamsMichiganS2008-200970
RichardShermanStanfordCB2011-20135347

Wow that's a lot of safeties!

Don Dufek was a 5th round pick in '76 and remains probably the best special teams player in team history. He started for part of 1977, but mostly he stayed on the roster because he could bust the wedge better than anyone. There was this roster rule back then that a player couldn't come back from IR unless he was put there after final roster cuts, so every year Dufek would get cut, then brought back after some other guy went on IR. He was probably cut and brought back more than any player in team history. Always a fan favorite, there has never been another one quite like him.

Robert Blackmon was part of the great 1990 draft class that included Cortez Kennedy, Terry Wooden and Chris Warren. He and Eugene Robinson were among the best safety combinations in team history, starting together for most of six seasons. However, my favorite Blackmon play was the pitch he took from Michael McCrary to score after McCrary blocked the FG vs. Houston in 1996. That game was blacked out and there were like 30,000 fans there so don't tell me you remember that play!

Blackmon could easily be the best #25 in team history, but I think we can agree Richard Sherman has done enough in 2 1/2 years to take the spot. What an amazing ascent he's had from low-round draft pick to one of the best players in the NFL. I must admit I get a little tired of his antics, but I also know that he comes as one complete package of player and personality and I'm OK with it.

Richard sherman michael crabtree

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hawkstorian":5b3vaduk said:
Robert Blackmon was part of the great 1990 draft class that included Cortez Kennedy, Terry Wooden and Chris Warren. He and Eugene Robinson were among the best safety combinations in team history, starting together for most of six seasons. However, my favorite Blackmon play was the pitch he took from Michael McCrary to score after McCrary blocked the FG vs. Houston in 1996. That game was blacked out and there were like 30,000 fans there so don't tell me you remember that play!

Of course we remember! We were listening on our radios like every other blacked out game back then. We were jumping up and down in our kitchens or going Buster Douglas on our steering wheels or otherwise just looking like crazy people to those who had no idea what we were freaking out about. One of my all time great Seahawks moments.

Absolutely agree on Sherm though. How lucky are we to have that kid?

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1a1rc9rj said:
Of course we remember! We were listening on our radios like every other blacked out game back then. We were jumping up and down in our kitchens or going Buster Douglas on our steering wheels or otherwise just looking like crazy people to those who had no idea what we were freaking out about. One of my all time great Seahawks moments.

Nuh-uh. We disconnected our cable, got out the rabbit-ears and tinfoil, and watched the very snowy game on Canadian TV.

Go Hawks,
BillA

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":xru1w2x8 said:
Zebulon Dak":xru1w2x8 said:

Nuh-uh. We disconnected our cable, got out the rabbit-ears and tinfoil, and watched the very snowy game on Canadian TV.

Go Hawks,
BillA

I remember trying that a few times though I never had much luck in the EVT.

BASF

Reaction score
As someone who only got to read box scores and watch just the two playoff games during Patrick Hunter's time with the Seahawks I have to question your choice as MVP. You basically described him as Kelly Jennings and we couldn't find a better replacement for 8 seasons so he gets the nod? Can anyone name a few impact plays that Hunter made that can be signature plays for him? Fact is that Babs was an impact player which I would argue makes him more valuable.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
BASF":30854rov said:
As someone who only got to read box scores and watch just the two playoff games during Patrick Hunter's time with the Seahawks I have to question your choice as MVP. You basically described him as Kelly Jennings and we couldn't find a better replacement for 8 seasons so he gets the nod? Can anyone name a few impact plays that Hunter made that can be signature plays for him? Fact is that Babs was an impact player which I would argue makes him more valuable.

He called him a "rock", "always solid" and "good in coverage". I don't know if anybody ever described Kelly Jennings as those things. Good coverage skills maybe, but rarely ever actually good in coverage what with all the falling down and looking over the wrong shoulder and such. From what I remember of Patrick I'd describe him more like Trufant than Jennings.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
BASF":2y5zaby9 said:

If I gave the impression that Patrick Hunter was the same as Kelly Jennings, I apologize to Patrick profusely.

At every position there are guys who are the top level, Brown and Sherman and Trufant and probably Springs at CB, and then there were guys at the 2nd level who were very good. That's where Hunter is in my opinion.... but if you watched the team in those years no one was complaining week in and week out about our CBs. We had much bigger issues. Jennings is somewhere in tier 3 or 4.

I won't argue if you think Babs should get the MVP, he did have many memorable moments, but he was usually a situational player and I put a lot more merit on regular starters. I appreciate the discussion.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
AlHunterNotre DameRB1977-1980525
TerryJacksonSan Diego StateCB1984-1985340
MelvinJenkinsCincinattiCB1987-19906222
SelwynJonesColorado StateCB1995-1996311
ShawnSpringsOhio StateCB1997-19939590
BobbyTaylorNotre DameCB2004100
DeonGrantTennesseeS2007-20095050
MarshawnLynchCaliforniaRB2010-20136662

I've never quite understood the 'supplemental draft'. I guess some guys skip the draft and have their own draft. However it works, the Seahawks have participated sparingly over the years. The first time was in 1977 when the Seahawks used a 4th round pick on RB Al Hunter from Notre Dame. Hunter spent four seasons as a backup RB and kick returner. He had moments where he looked like he could be the answer at RB, but his production seemed to decline the more workload he got and he soon fell to the bottom of the depth chart. However, if you watch highlight tapes of the '70s Seahawks, you'll see a few plays with #24 making a big run and you'll say "Who is THAT guy??".

Mel Jenkins played 3 years in the CFL before earning the starting CB in Seattle. It does happen every 25 years or so! Seriously, Jenkins was a pretty good nickle back and kick returner.

Seahawk fans never seemed to embrace Shawn Springs, probably because he never lived up to his very high draft status. He was, as you recall, drafted ahead of Walter Jones. My brother used to just get all bent about Springs, going on long rants about how bad he sucked. I was probably more forgiving than most. He played great at times, but seemed to lose focus other times. Probably the most physically talented CB we've ever had. A+ talent, B career.

As an aside, I know people are still fired up over how Springs left and the Alaska comment. To me that's an example of the historic thin skin of many Seahawk fans and I have no patience for it. Players are going to come and players are going to go. Don't take shit personal.

One man I'm sure we can all agree on is Marshawn Lynch. This is that rare player who combines consistent productivity with truly transcendent memories. Being in the stadium with my dad and my son for the Beastquake run is what being a sports fan is all about for me. Like Lynch, I am just all about that action, boss. I love an athelete who can be himself and not take life so damn serious. Watching him throw skittles back at the crowd during the championship parade was the Skittle on the icing on a very huge and delicious cake.

seattle-seahawks-running-back-marshawn-lynch.jpg

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think every Seahawks fan that saw it will always remember where they were and who was watching with them when Beastquake happened, whether they were at the stadium or watching on TV. A truly transcendent Seattle sports moment.

Thank you Bills. Many things had to fall in place for the Hawks to finally win a Super Bowl and letting Lynch go to us for a mid-round draft choice was one of the most important.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Epic.

Springs was widely considered one of the top corners in the league by people outside of Seattle, but those who watched him on a weekly basis knew he wasn't really quite that good. 'Storian I think your assessment of him is pretty spot on. All the tools, all the talent, never was able to put it all the way together on a consistent basis. And then he did leave a sour taste with his parting shots. We're a sensitive fan base. ;-)

Marshawn's one of the greatest Hawks of all time. There should be a 20 foot statue of him erected at the stadium.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Hunter puzzled me as to why he couldn't do the job..The fact is he did make some great runs and they were a big deal because Smith wasn't making those ..However Smith was more consistant if thats saying much..Since those days we have gotten a lot better at getting good/great backs..Beast is among those..

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
DougLongWhitworthS1977-1978150
ThomKaumeyerOregonS1989-199080
HarlanDavisTennesseeCB199110
ForeyDuckettNevadaCB199420
DexterSieglerMiamiCB1996-1997140
RobertWilliamsNorth CarolinaCB199910
IkeCharltonVirginia TechCB2000-2001311
MarcusTrufantWashington StateCB2003-2012147134

Only a handfull of players of made the Seahawks out of the Northwest Conference, a series of small area schools that includes PLU, UPS and Willamette. Doug Long was an NAIA all-american as a WR at Whitworth in Spokane, which earned him a trying with the Seahawks in 1977. He ended up on IR and then converted to safety where he made the team in 1978. He played mostly special team and returned 4 kickoffs. To this day he remains 1 of only 2 Whitworth Pirates to play in the NFL.

Marcus Trufant was the local kid from Tacoma, who went to WSU and played 10 years for his hometown team. He started most every game for 8 seasons + 4 games in 2011 before his injury eventually opened the door for Richard Sherman. His best year was 2007 when he had 7 picks and made his only pro bowl. Much like Springs, Tru was frequently targeted and took a lot of heat from fans, but no one ever questioned his heart or character. If there's one guy I wish could have stuck around just ONE MORE YEAR to get a ring, it would be Trufant.

2004062534.jpg

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
H-Storian, your picture-choice for so many of these nominations (esp. the recent Sherman and Lynch pics) speak volumes as well and accompany your notes nicely.

Thanks for all your hard work on this; it's fascinating to go back over the Hawk history.