The Reasons Why They Drafted This Way

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I am sure most of you guys know already. But I just want to put it out there for those unaware. This is how they are drafting:

BPA that are high character guys. It's how they drafted last year, and how they have started this year so far.

Reasons:

#1 The Malik McDowell experience was so damaging that they don't ever want to go through that again. Thus high character is a priority for them.

#2 L.J. Collier was a pick based solely on need and was an absolute disaster. I've banged the drum on this for years. I hate when "need" is mentioned when it pertains to the draft. In the NFL, roster turnover is so high, every position is a position of need. I'm glad the Seahawks have finally seen the light on this. You have to fit your draft to the talent pool available which is different every draft. Instead of treating it like you're shopping with a grocery list of needs that must be filled.

It does little good to fill "needs" when they're filled with guys like Marquis Blair, Germaine Ifedi, Dee Eskridge, L.J. Collier, etc.

#3 They value the tape more than the measurables now. The guys they are drafting have excellent tape. Some where along the way they got lost in SPARQ scores like your Christine Michael's, and Dee Eskridge's of the world and they would value that over the tape. The scale has been tilted back towards the tape.

#4 Last year's draft was such a resounding success, they are doubling down and keeping it going.

They are sticking to there methodology. The old Hawks would've taken D-Lineman with both picks, and they probably would've busted.

This is a really weird draft. It lacks blue chip talent, so Seattle got creative in the 1st round with Anderson off of the board, and no one willing to offer anything decent with a trade down.

They took a CB which they had a higher grade on than any of the remaining D-Lineman. And they took the best slot receiver in the draft at #20. Both the 1st players off of the board at their respective positions.

These guys can play for sure and will contribute right away. They are not at the desired positions of "need" (there's that word again.) some were hoping for (D-Line/O-Line), but this draft though lacking in blue chip is absolutely ripe for the pluckin' in rounds 2 and 3. This oddball draft is light up top, and thick in the middle, and the Hawks are in a good position to take some very talented players here upcoming.
I agree with everything you stated here. I will note though that while JSN's measurables appear avg to low for (40 yd, height, arm length, hand size)...the ones that jump out are the 3-Cone Drill (6.57) and 20-Yd Shuttle (3.93). Couple those with the tape and you get an elite slot due to intelligence and quickness that can move outside in some packages. I think Waldren is going to have a field day scheming with this WR/TE group. Measurables and intelligence are remakably similar to Kupp.

olyfan63

Reaction score
With where we picked you want payoff not risk, these two guys fill need and upgrade us to a good group of CB's AND WR's to potentially great in those groups. Also remember we have a history of asking our guys to play physical, having good depth with little or no drop off, able to put a variety of packages on the field, match up with almost any combination of opponents. Our DB's playing as physical as they do get dinged a lot. this helps that issue. At WR this kid will take pressure off Lockett especially, when we need a go to 1st down teams look to take away Lockett, this kid in a 3 set will take that option away or pay a price.
We lost 2 Super Bowls due to insufficient DB depth. SS Marquand Manuel went down in SBXL, and Jeremy Lane's body broke in SBXVVIII. Both DB injuries cost us the game. Pete doesn't want to be caught short on healthy, capable DBs again.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
We lost 2 Super Bowls due to insufficient DB depth. SS Marquand Manuel went down in SBXL, and Jeremy Lane's body broke in SBXVVIII. Both DB injuries cost us the game. Pete doesn't want to be caught short on healthy, capable DBs again.
Very underrated take!

Agreed!

Let’s gooooooo!!!!!

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
The Hawks Nest on Youtube made a good point about last year's draft versus this year's draft (so far). This year we have drafted with the same philosophy as last year (BPA). But last year, "value" and "need" lined up perfectly. This year, not as much (at least so far). No, Carter wasn't a good value at 5 because of all the red flags, so they took the BPA with no red flags.

Yes. Last year's draft, BPA and need lined up much better due to more holes on the roster.

I needed confirmation with this 1st round to see if last year was a coincidence, or if they had truly shifted.

They have Mike Jackson, Kobe Bryant, Tre Brown, and Woolen at CB. That is about as good of a CB room you can find in the NFL. They have substantial longterm need at DL, yet they still chose to go CB, turning their strong unit into probably the best CB unit in the NFL, because Witherspoon was light years better than any of the DL on the board at #5. BPA w/High Character. Even knowing Pete is a DB whisperer who routinely turns CBs into stars with late round picks and guys off of the scrap heap. They still chose Witherspoon.

JSN Pick: They had their pick of the litter for interior Offensive Lineman which is a much bigger need than WR. They desperately need a C and a G for the longterm. Slot guys are much easier to find. Yet they still chose JSN because they valued him much more. BPA w/High Character. He would've been a top 10 pick had it not been for the hamstring injury, the value was too much to pass up.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I agree with everything you stated here. I will note though that while JSN's measurables appear avg to low for (40 yd, height, arm length, hand size)...the ones that jump out are the 3-Cone Drill (6.57) and 20-Yd Shuttle (3.93). Couple those with the tape and you get an elite slot due to intelligence and quickness that can move outside in some packages. I think Waldren is going to have a field day scheming with this WR/TE group. Measurables and intelligence are remakably similar to Kupp.
JSN has immaculate tape. He is very much in the mold of a Cooper Kupp.