The Rise & Fall of ESPN

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
ESPN is a shell of its former self. I think it's because they've sacrificed sports talk for creating sometimes fake content to generate a reaction no matter how absurd. You only have to look at the company that owns them to see the apple doesn't fall from the tree. You see it with what has become of Lucasfilm and arguably Pixar. I can't speak for Marvel as I haven't connected with what it has become since the acquisition. I've only seen one of the movies and that was enough for me. They've squandered what they once were to become something more sterile and safe that doesn't dare or innovate. The only exception might be having Peyton and Eli on MNF.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
ESPN is a shell of its former self. I think it's because they've sacrificed sports talk for creating sometimes fake content to generate a reaction no matter how absurd. You only have to look at the company that owns them to see the apple doesn't fall from the tree. You see it with what has become of Lucasfilm and arguably Pixar. I can't speak for Marvel as I haven't connected with what it has become since the acquisition. I saw one of the movies and that was enough for me. They've squandered what they once were to become something more sterile and safe that doesn't dare or innovate. The only exception might be having Peyton and Eli on MNF.
This is one of the best posts I've read today IMHO. When (if) these companies ever figure this out, they will quit using their platforms to push their agendas and they can go back to making money.

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
This is one of the best posts I've read today IMHO. When (if) these companies ever figure this out, they will quit using their platforms to push their agendas and they can go back to making money.

Thank you. Yes indeed. Unfortunately they more than likely like Hollywood rely on marketing and focus groups to determine what will sell and bring in ratings. You also factor in social media nowadays where people can instantly give feedback without time to contemplate their own feelings first as individuals can almost instantly find themselves agreeing with someone instead of focusing on the nuance of something to have their own opinion and/or learning the facts. It creates a mob mentality and an uneasiness in society. As long as this happens nothing will ever completely change with any of them. I think everyone should be concerned about this regardless of where they lean politically or otherwise as without critical thinking we become drones to allowing others to tell us what to think.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes indeed. Unfortunately they more than likely like Hollywood rely on marketing and focus groups to determine what will sell and bring in ratings. You also factor in social media nowadays where people can instantly give feedback without time to contemplate their own feelings first as individuals can almost instantly find themselves agreeing with someone instead of focusing on the nuance of something to have their own opinion and/or learning the facts. It creates a mob mentality and an uneasiness in society. As long as this happens nothing will ever completely change with any of them. I think everyone should be concerned about this regardless of where they lean politically or otherwise as without critical thinking we become drones to allowing others to tell us what to think.
My brother.

You are 100% on this. I am going to temper my response for fear of going political but many times it's exactly that.
If you ever get a chance,there's a book called "Hollywood propaganda" by Mark Dice. I got mine on Amazon for 10 bucks I think. It'll blow your mind. Did you know Hollywood has lobby groups that dictate
To movie studios their story lines , whether enough people of let's say certain groups and persuasions are being adequately represented . They've taken most male leads and replaced them with women depicting the males as stupid , lethargic and weak. This isn't by mistake .

Film12Hawk

Reaction score
My brother.

You are 100% on this. I am going to temper my response for fear of going political but many times it's exactly that.
If you ever get a chance,there's a book called "Hollywood propaganda" by Mark Dice. I got mine on Amazon for 10 bucks I think. It'll blow your mind. Did you know Hollywood has lobby groups that dictate
To movie studios their story lines , whether enough people of let's say certain groups and persuasions are being adequately represented . They've taken most male leads and replaced them with women depicting the males as stupid , lethargic and weak. This isn't by mistake .
I'll definitely have to check out this book. It's not surprising as one of the heads of ABC said a show was passed on for not being inclusive enough in their eyes despite also being by their accounts a good show. I am all for representation and diversity as kids especially need to know how important it is that we all share a coexistence but it shouldn't come across as disingenuous and only being there to meet a checklist.

You see it with what Star Wars has become. It was always very diverse and inclusive to all under George Lucas but now when you peel back the films you can see something that is not at all what they claim it to be. The series is now filled with misogyny and racism that is quick and you miss in many cases.

There's so many things that George did on the Star Wars Prequels that the studio objected to like Anakin being nine in the first one. Many probably believe the studio was right but that's not the point. You should let creatives tell their story how they see it. Let things be organic and naturally inclusive instead of forcing it. Hollywood studios are reactionary. They're not creative. It's all about marketing and focus groups these days. It's almost always been this way but it's only getting worse as it's becoming more and more obvious who is in charge. The best leaders are the ones who give you the freedom to be yourself.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
You guys are all wrong. The decline of ESPN began when they started broadcasting poker. Literally a card game, instead of actual sports. Not just here and there, either. For hours every single day.

morgulon1

Reaction score
You guys are all wrong. The decline of ESPN began when they started broadcasting poker. Literally a card game, instead of actual sports. Not just here and there, either. For hours every single day.
Yes and pool tournaments and bowling.
The old saying :

Anything you can get better at the drunker you get is NOT a sport .

fenderbender123

Reaction score
That's when ESPN went the whole route of doing whatever gets ratings now vs continuously trying to invest in being the best network for sports entertainment.

I really like the 30 for 30 documentaries on ESPN. Honestly, they should have invested more into that sort of thing, made more stuff similar to what NFL Films did, etc. Not poker and bowling. Just my opinion.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ESPN's business model was heavily dependent on cable bundling. The rise of streaming has destroyed that, not their politics.
This is the biggest cause of the decline and it was the root cause of the rift between ESPN and Charter Spectrum. ESPN did not want Charter to market packages that would have allowed customers to opt out of ESPN, which is what streaming channels do.

But there's another cause. Surveys have shown that Generation Z, or those born in the late 90's/21st century, are not as sports orientated as previous generations. Those folks are becoming a larger part of the viewing audience.

chris98251

Reaction score
The went into the tank when they and many other stations and outlets were bought by Disney, they moved off NBC to ESPN and everything had to pay homage to the Ears and follow that mandate of business.