The Seahawks Need to be Careful (Upcoming Draft)

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to be careful here, this is the biggest haul they will have for a longtime and if they blow these picks on guys like Collier, Brooks, Taylor, McDowell, and Blair, etc again. (Their recent draft history on defense is abysmal. Sold the farm for Adams, too.)

Pete in no normal organization would be allowed to continue to fail at this historic level, in drafting, development, and scheme for this many seasons. They have so many assets thrown at this defense, spending even more picks at it is not going to fix it when their issues are clearly systemic.

The Seahawks have not many 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round players drafted on offense in the previous 5 drafts ('22 they drafted mostly offense) because they've been blowing these picks on their defense as they've been trying to rebuild it for 5 years. Giving them more picks is not the answer until they fix what's going on at the top.

First 3 Rounds All Defensive players selected:
'17 Malik McDowell
'17 Shaq Griffin
'17 Lano Hill
'17 Naz Jones

'18 Rasheem Green

'19 LJ Collier
'19 Marquis Blair
'19 Cody Barton

'20 Jordyn Brooks
'20 Darrell Taylor

'21 (Jamal Adams Trade)

The Seahawks have drafted much better but have made way fewer picks on offense. in the first 3 rounds.

'17 Ethan Pocic

'18 Rashaad Penny

'19 DK Metcalf

'20 Damien Lewis

'21 Dee Eskridge

How can you trust Pete to pick the players he needs for his defense at this point? It's crazy to think this is even on the table as a possibility.

If Pete is still here going into the next draft, I propose all early picks are offensive players. Better to draft players who can actually play rather than a bunch of busts.

Two 1sts and Two 2nds based on recent draft history gets you -> LJ Collier, Jordyn Brooks, Darrell Taylor, & Marquis Blair.

*EDIT* Updated OP: Mistakenly listed Penny Hart instead of Dee Eskridge in '21.

Last edited:

Maui12thman

Reaction score
They’re in no position to get cute and try and show their the smartest guys in the room anymore. I see them drafting more conventionally, drafting need, and drafting guys that are rated accordingly, guys we don’t have to google….at least in the first 3 rounds anyhow. i Think JS has been humbled and his recent picks have been rightfully panned.

knownone

Reaction score
The Seahawks need to be careful here, this is the biggest haul they will have for a longtime and if they blow these picks on guys like Collier, Brooks, Taylor, McDowell, and Blair, etc again. (Their recent draft history on defense is abysmal. Sold the farm for Adams, too.)

Pete in no normal organization would be allowed to continue to fail at this historic level, in drafting, development, and scheme for this many seasons. They have so many assets thrown at this defense, spending even more picks at it is not going to fix it when their issues are clearly systemic.

The Seahawks have not many 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round players drafted on offense in the previous 5 drafts ('22 they drafted mostly offense) because they've been blowing these picks on their defense as they've been trying to rebuild it for 5 years. Giving them more picks is not the answer until they fix what's going on at the top.

'17 Malik McDowell
'17 Shaq Griffin
'17 Lano Hill
'17 Naz Jones

'18 Rasheem Green

'19 LJ Collier
'19 Marquis Blair
'19 Cody Barton

'20 Jordyn Brooks
'20 Darrell Taylor

'21 (Jamal Adams Trade)

The Seahawks have drafted much better but have made way fewer picks on offense. in the first 3 rounds.

'17 Ethan Pocic

'18 Rashaad Penny

'19 DK Metcalf

'20 Damien Lewis

'21 Penny Hart

How can you trust Pete to pick the players he needs for his defense at this point? It's crazy to think this is even on the table as a possibility.

If Pete is still here going into the next draft, I propose all early picks are offensive players. Better to draft players who can actually play rather than a bunch of busts.

Two 1sts and Two 2nds based on recent draft history gets you -> LJ Collier, Jordyn Brooks, Darrell Taylor, & Marquis Blair.
You have to consider the relative value of each pick; otherwise, you are comparing apples to oranges.

For example, Collier, Brooks, Taylor, and Blair have an average draft value of the 38th pick in the draft. Meanwhile, if the season ended today, the Seahawk's picks would have the average value of the 26th pick. That's roughly a 68% increase in value per pick. Now, if you use a value chart where higher draft choices are weighted, you get an even larger disparity in overall draft value.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

'17 Malik McDowell
'17 Shaq Griffin
'17 Lano Hill
'17 Naz Jones

'18 Rasheem Green

'19 LJ Collier
'19 Marquis Blair
'19 Cody Barton

'20 Jordyn Brooks
'20 Darrell Taylor

'21 (Jamal Adams Trade)

'17 Ethan Pocic

'18 Rashaad Penny

'19 DK Metcalf

'20 Damien Lewis

'21 Penny Hart

I agree with you on a few things that you posted. However, Penny Hart was not drafted by the Seahawks. The Seahawks signed him as an UDFA in 2019.

Polk738

Reaction score
I will give the team the benefit of the doubt that given the 2022 draft SOMETHING changed that obviously worked for the better, Lucas, Cross, Woolen, Bryant and KW3 all look to be making signifcant contributions to the team THUS far, I know it's still early in the season but nobody crashed an ATV to start the year so that is good. But when was the last time you remember so many rookies starting and actually playing THIS well? So like I said, they did something different this last draft that worked wonders and I only hope it'll carry onto the 2023 draft

toffee

Reaction score

'17 Malik McDowell
'17 Shaq Griffin
'17 Lano Hill
'17 Naz Jones

'18 Rasheem Green

'19 LJ Collier
'19 Marquis Blair
'19 Cody Barton

'20 Jordyn Brooks
'20 Darrell Taylor

'21 (Jamal Adams Trade)

'17 Ethan Pocic

'18 Rashaad Penny

'19 DK Metcalf

'20 Damien Lewis

'21 Penny Hart

Please allow me to summarize for folks didn't want to read long post, this is the summary:

"With Pete, we shall draft wrong. Fire Pete, sun will rise from East, again."

According to our learned friend, it SUCKS to be 12s with Pete as head coach, it sucks to be us:

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
I have never seen someone go to so much effort to cherry pick data and constantly post it as fact to show that the coach with the best record by far in the franchise history is incompetent.
Not only GM, and HC, our owner sucked too, in fact she is the suckest of them all, so suck that he changed her name to Jodi (yes, with an i).

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
We do have to remember that the Seahawks have been a perennial playoff team and have traded away a lot of draft picks. I’m not sure how many folks think Hall of Fame defensive players come out of the later rounds but it’s not many.

It is surprising that we haven’t drafted better at linebacker but we haven’t devoted a lot of resources there either.

But yes this is an important draft for the Seahawks. If they select another Bruce Irvin there’s going to be trouble.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Pick a player with your first three picks. Then trade back twice. Then pick best player available with a 60/40 lean towards defense.

chrispy

Reaction score
This is a completely different situation than having a top 5 paid QB and putting pieces around him. Much more like their first draft with 2 high round 1 picks. That resulted in Okung and ET3. JS knows how to draft and when to take risks. Risks come with wins and misses. Professing this FO is inept at drafting forgets that they passed 7 (I think) QBs, and got BWagz by doing so, to end up with RCW. Pete's had lots of success with later round D players and FAs. I hope they take some chances in the draft (like taking 2 OTs high...who does this stuff? Wait, Okung was OT the year before 2 HOF players drafted outside round 1...hmmm) even if it results in some busts. They can make up for the busts with FAs now that there's some extra Cap. I hope all the draft experts rate their draft as terrible, awful, F-. I hope they're not careful and swing for the fences.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They usually nail the picks on cornerstones. I have little doubt they'll peg contributors if their picks are in the first half of the first round.

It's the back half that worries me.

samwize77

Reaction score
Every Hawks fan has their opinions. And that cool. We're fans. But sometimes I feel some should go to V-Mac and put in an application and include their posts as evidence of their qualifications. Quite the resume'.

toffee

Reaction score
Fade, you should change your screen name to Shade.
All jokes aside, Fade is one of the few members on dot net that can articulate an opinion. Fade is knowledgeable and unafraid to opine, I often make frivolous response on his opinions and he always took it like a gentleman, or gentlelady.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The amount of draft capital we have spent on Defense with such poor results is stunning. But it shows the issue.

This team is great at hitting home runs. But it doesn't work with filling gaps.

We bet big on long shots. Sometimes they work out (DK Metcalf is a good example), often not in the areas we have the greatest need because we don't draft well...we bet on potential well.
When we need to scout someone for a specific need, we can't. Because our MO is taking chances on 5 guys with tons of potential for the chance that 1 works out.

If you have a team no immediate future and a lack of talent? Pete will soon add a handful of all-everything players. You will have field tilters shortly.
But those 5 studs will cost you 20 draft picks. (Good news is that they don't depend on the round. 20 5th-round picks is preferable to 5 1st-round picks with this MO)
But what happens when you need to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick to plug a hole? You probably are still looking at a 1 in 5 chance of that even working out for you. Because we aren't good at getting consistently good picks. We are good at playing the odds and making a great pick.