The "we need to draft o lineman" narrative

kf3339

Reaction score
Chapow":17oie4mt said:
pittpnthrs":17oie4mt said:
CPHawk":17oie4mt said:
nanomoz":17oie4mt said:
How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.

We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.

While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.

It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.

kf3339

Reaction score
kf3339":foblg1u8 said:
Chapow":foblg1u8 said:
pittpnthrs":foblg1u8 said:
CPHawk":foblg1u8 said:
We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.

It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.

Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.

Elemas

Reaction score
Shaun Wade incoming? Has the PC size and flashed huge potential until they moved him out. Looks like a PC project type of guy for sure.

Chapow

Reaction score
kf3339":2yc0552v said:
kf3339":2yc0552v said:
Chapow":2yc0552v said:
pittpnthrs":2yc0552v said:

Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.

Yep, the whole league got it wrong with Metcalf, but he's an outlier. Most late 2nd round picks don't turn out nearly as well.

Seeing as how the Chiefs just signed a solid, experienced starting Center less than a month ago, it's probably going to be awhile before we find out if passing on Creed was a major miss or not.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Chapow":3vogohaf said:
kf3339":3vogohaf said:
kf3339":3vogohaf said:
Chapow":3vogohaf said:

Yep, the whole league got it wrong with Metcalf, but he's an outlier. Most late 2nd round picks don't turn out nearly as well.

Seeing as how the Chiefs just signed a solid, experienced starting Center less than a month ago, it's probably going to be awhile before we find out if passing on Creed was a major miss or not.

The league didn't get it wrong with Metcalf. He was always high risk-high reward, and not every team had coaches who felt they could manage him -- or a QB willing to devote a ton of time with him. He's a physical freak and has made some astonishing plays --but he's also dropped some easy passes that Russ put right on the numbers. If Pete can control DK's inner Diva and get him to not jump into the stands and grab the TV camera after making a good play, the risk will pay off big time. So far, it looks good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tusc2000":13e1h5nk said:
Chapow":13e1h5nk said:
kf3339":13e1h5nk said:

The league didn't get it wrong with Metcalf. He was always high risk-high reward, and not every team had coaches who felt they could manage him -- or a QB willing to devote a ton of time with him. He's a physical freak and has made some astonishing plays --but he's also dropped some easy passes that Russ put right on the numbers. If Pete can control DK's inner Diva and get him to not jump into the stands and grab the TV camera after making a good play, the risk will pay off big time. So far, it looks good.

Waiting for him to drop his pants and moon the stands next, he is such a Diva ya know or maybe act like he signing a football with a sharpie or dance on a teams logo.

mikeak

Reaction score
Nowhere did RW say "I have a bad O-line or draft more O-line"

Nowhere.

Saying you get sacked to much has a lot of other potential reasons including the O-line but not exclusively them

Playcallinf, schemes, receivers, TE blocking ability (Graham as example) etc all plays in. I saw it more as a playcallinf issue TBH

OP
OP
therealjohncarlson

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
mikeak":2zt1fem1 said:
Nowhere did RW say "I have a bad O-line or draft more O-line"

Nowhere.

Saying you get sacked to much has a lot of other potential reasons including the O-line but not exclusively them

Playcallinf, schemes, receivers, TE blocking ability (Graham as example) etc all plays in. I saw it more as a playcallinf issue TBH

This thread was talking about certain fans saying we NEEDED to draft o lineman this year and if we didnt it would be a failure. I did not say Russ said this per se.. but many fans were using what Russ said to piggy back this opinion.

John63

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2fos9011 said:
Chapow":2fos9011 said:
kf3339":2fos9011 said:

Agreed but I would say it is not just up to PC it will take Wilson and Lockett. It takes a village to raise a kid LOL

Tinamedina

Reaction score
[instagram][/instagram]
therealjohncarlson":1ftf18y3 said:
The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?

the guys they have NOW arent good, what are you talking about?

outside of lewis and maybe jackson, and jackson hasnt played yet, we dont know how hes gonna do.

fact is the seahawks NEVER had an elite oline since wilson has been there.

times up, either carroll needs to get it done or stop wasting wilsons time.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tinamedina":1o7bsk0k said:
[instagram][/instagram]
therealjohncarlson":1o7bsk0k said:
The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?

the guys they have NOW arent good, what are you talking about?

outside of lewis and maybe jackson, and jackson hasnt played yet, we dont know how hes gonna do.

fact is the seahawks NEVER had an elite oline since wilson has been there.

times up, either carroll needs to get it done or stop wasting wilsons time.

As if Duane Brown wasn't a top-3 left tackle in 2020.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Does a mid round center slow Donald down? Maybe more than a converted project would. The Canadian kids film does look promising down the road though I would have loved it had we taken Stone wall in the second. Also we don’t have Cable here anymore so it’s possible some of these guys could improve?

hoxrox

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1k0unxj0 said:
Does a mid round center slow Donald down? Maybe more than a converted project would. The Canadian kids film does look promising down the road though I would have loved it had we taken Stone wall in the second. Also we don’t have Cable here anymore so it’s possible some of these guys could improve?

We have Hutch and Solari now. And the line has improved under their tutelage.

A lot has been made about Pocic getting bull rushed by Donald, but remember when Russ was cooking? Pocic was the starting center then, and he played just fine. Then he got injured and didn't play as well after coming back. He may not be the answer, but he is young and can still improve.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
brimsalabim":34vecndx said:

Who are you referring to when you say "converted project?"

gowazzu02

Reaction score
LOL at thinking a rookie Center picked 56 or later would come in and magically fix our Aaron Donald problem!!! bahahah bahahah haha

You know what did help us with our AD problem? Our 5th round selection of Gabe Jackson.

Now Pocic still has his problems, but at least he's a veteran who can help with protection calls, as we install our brand new offense.

You know what also would help our AD problem? Quick passing game. The Washington Football Team game plan is what we should have done in the playoff game, or adjusted to when AD was eating our lunch. But nope, same old vanilla run and then throw deep, run then throw deep scheme that was figured out in the back half of the year.

Also find it HILARIOUS that the goaline constantly moves, I mean the Packers are doing ARod dirty by NOT Drafting him a WR. Yet the Hawks did Russ dirty by Drafting a WR w our first pick??? Which is it?

Own The West

Reaction score
With all this Pocic sucks talk, I'm surprised nobody's brought up Austin Reiter. Is he asking for a boatload of money or are they just happy with Pocic and Fuller?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Own The West":1sf6kvlq said:
With all this Pocic sucks talk, I'm surprised nobody's brought up Austin Reiter. Is he asking for a boatload of money or are they just happy with Pocic and Fuller?

He's honestly no better than Pocic. Certainly not enough for him to just come in and flourish over a guy who knows most of the scheme. No real reason to sign him.