These Issues On Offense Sound Eerily Familiar…

LTH

Reaction score
Sensitive. Goofy.
You ain't got no right to treat people like that! Maybe you were just joking or meant it in a different way. But I don't allow people to disrespect me like that. It's unnecessary.

LTH

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
We just need to kick the Commanders ass tomorrow. Need to establish a deep air attack first 3 drives then pound the rock. Need to freaking thrash the Skins and we will!!!

keasley45

Reaction score
Stop me if you've heard these before.

The Seahawks are currently suffering on offense from only a coaching perspective mind you. What has been seemingly been plaguing them forever, regardless of OC/QB/or other personnel.

Here's looking at you, Petey.

1) Don't throw to the middle of the field.

(McVay loves to throw over the middle to the Slot and TE. So Waldron should too. Pete has a philosophy overriding this, as most INTs occur in the middle of the field they don't target there often.)

2) Don't utilize, or forget about the Tight Ends.

(See above #1.)

3) When opponents Blitz, everyone is running deep, no where to throw HOT.

(A Pete Carroll staple.)

4) Runs are straight forward up the gut, A Gap--B-Gap, not a lot of misdirection, not a lot of outside zone runs. Very easy for the opponent to plan for.

(Also a Pete Carrol staple. The Rams are an outside zone running team. They like to boot off of outside zone and throw it to the TE's.)

5) Screen game underutilized, when they do attempt it, highly ineffective. Bubble Screen to the slot WR is about the only screen play they ever call with any consistency, mostly ineffective.

6) Failure to move around their #1 WR and get him involved in the game early. Instead, line him up in the same spot--running the same routes, easy to gameplan and take away. Never motion him.

7) Protection issues pre-snap, not being adjusted by the Center or QB pre-snap.

8) Not going after opponents weaknesses on defense. A great example being, an opponent struggle's to cover the TE. Seattle won't attack it. They kinda just do what they do, oblivious of the opponent.

9) Highly effective play? Trying something new? Stop calling it, go back to runs up the gut, and bombing it deep.

10) Over using the main back like they are all Marshawn Lynch. Instead of sharing the load and keeping guys fresher.
Carson? Rawls? Walker? It don't matter. Whoever the lead back is, they are just like Marshawn Lynch, run him into the ground.

11) QB takes the same drop and same launch point over 'n over. Don't move the pocket, don't change the launch point.

(Pass rushers loves this as they no where the QB is gonna be.)

12) For having mobile QBs, don't call enough rollouts, and boots.

13) Not enough playaction, even though effective.

14) Penalties! Lead the league nearly every year.

15) 3rd and short, go empty.

16) 3rd and short, chuck it deep.

17) 3rd and long, run a give up play. Cool with punting.

18) 3rd downs in general, rank bottom half of the league to worst in the league, despite consistent Pro-Bowl QB play throughout the years.

Did I forget anything?

For how talented the Seahawks are, they have coaching issues all over the place on offense, that pre-date Waldron.

All those issues are in Denver, my friend. Convenient that you had none of this to say when we were doing those things. Like heavy TE sets, throwing over the middle, etc. I suppose all the success we had was Waldron going rogue?

Waldron is an average at best playcaller who, when his time is done here , won't see much success elsewhere.

Wheetie

Reaction score
All those issues are in Denver, my friend. Convenient that you had none of this to say when we were doing those things. Like heavy TE sets, throwing over the middle, etc. I suppose all the success we had was Waldron going rogue?

Waldron is an average at best playcaller who, when his time is done here , won't see much success elsewhere.
Respectfully Keasley,
"Waldron is an average at best playcaller who, when his time is done here , won't see much success elsewhere."
Same was said about Schotty during his time here under Pete, but he's having pretty good success in Dallas right now.

"I suppose all the success we had was Waldron going rogue?"
I'd suggest that Waldron isn't bipolar. The fact that the offense more often than not reverts back to Peteball, which was in play well before Waldron, says to me that at times Pete steps back and allows Waldron to call his own game, likely due to mounting frustration from players after bad losses like last Sunday. Like I mentioned before I think today we'll see a much more creative, dynamic offense because the team won't stand for the crap playcalling like last week. But, at some time in the next few games, conservative playcalling (Peteball) will come back I'm play...always does. My opinion

keasley45

Reaction score
Respectfully Keasley,
"Waldron is an average at best playcaller who, when his time is done here , won't see much success elsewhere."
Same was said about Schotty during his time here under Pete, but he's having pretty good success in Dallas right now.

I'd suggest that Waldron isn't bipolar. The fact that the offense more often than not reverts back to Peteball, which was in play well before Waldron, says to me that at times Pete steps back and allows Waldron to call his own game, likely due to mounting frustration from players after bad losses like last Sunday. Like I mentioned before I think today we'll see a much more creative, dynamic offense because the team won't stand for the crap playcalling like last week. But, at some time in the next few games, conservative playcalling (Peteball) will come back I'm play...always does. My opinion

Bud, Pete criticized Shane's playcalling. He said basically the plays he's calling aren't helping his qb. So what do you think that means? Maybe calling shorter routes? Maybe calling a better run game? Maybe using TEs?

You know the way he did against Detroit when Pete couldn't say enough about how great he and Geno were.

Or last year when Geno was distributing the ball to every blade of grass on the field and every receiver.

And...

1st. I never said that about schotty. I thought he was really good and said so multiple times. I was one of the few here who posted clips from film showing the plays he was calling worked really well and were wasted on Russ.

I did however say that Russ would never find success elsewhere because of the simple fact that he couldn't even execute Schotty's offense, let alone some guru's he and some here thought he needed to succeed.

2nd. Peteball is now, what? Because before we threw the ball all over the yard last year and this, Peteball, was run, run, pass, punt and being ok with. Now, Peteball is throwing to running 60 to 40? Ok.

And when we were throwing the ball short medium and long, all the Pete critics were quiet.

When we led the league in passes to TEs and TE based formations, Pete bashers were quiet.

And when we were throwing the ball all over the field taking what was there, Pete praised it, multiple times. And when Russ didnt do it in 2020 and 2021 , Pete called him out on it.

So now, its Pete who is what? Deleting underneath routes from the playbook? All the underneath routes in the NFL that you could possibly run... all the middle of the field routes you could scheme, Pete disallows?

And Pete himself in interviews this week said three things about the passing game 1. Limit the turnovers, 2. Limit mental errors. 3. CALL A BETTER GAME FOR THE QB..

As for Waldron, hes not in the same league as Schotty. Schottenheimer was actually an OC before he came here. Waldron was a passing game coordinator, for wunderkind McVay. So sure, can he scheme up some plays? Yeah. That's likely what he was doing for Sean. But drawing up plays and having a knack for understanding the ebbs and flows of game... thats a different ballgame. I mean serioulsy, I could draw up a play that could work in any league. But to put on a headset and be able to predict what a defense is doing, construct a gameplan, and adapt it in real time, 40seconds at a time? Waldron had exactly ZERO years experience doing that before he put on the headset here.

And the mistakes he's making here are well beyond just not calling plays with wrs here or there. He's not making basic adjustments to the pressures he's seeing on the field. So it's not like he's opting to some hypothetical tired, Pete play. He's just not doing anything.

How can you give the dude a pass and focus on Pete when with the exception of injury years, Seattle has always been known for its rushing attack. Always. What have our rankings been since Shane's been here? Below average. So we go from league leading for Pete's tenure under 3 OCs and then Shane gets here and we suck? But the guy who can't call a great run game with the contender for rookie of the year at RB in 22 and a battering ram of a #2 in Charbs is all of a sudden supposed to NOT be the problem when scheming the entirety of an offense?

I think Shane is a great play designer, but have little evidence that he's actually a great play caller. And thr time he actually called our most effective game of the year, against Detroit, like ive said multiple times, Pete was beside himself with praise.

And our running game is terrible and yet shouldnt be.

Pete bashers are looking at things like our reliance on PA as evidence that this is Pete's doing. Entirely misplaced. Anyone who has called plays or played football knows that the easiest way to buy your qb time and a 1/4 second advantage is with PA. ANYONE. it qualifies as basic pass strategy. Basic. As in, the kind of playcalling an inexperienced OC might lean on (too much) because it's something he's found success with before.

And it would actually work better if the run game was at all threatening. But how's our run game going again under this OC? Garbage.

So how do you square all of that? How is Pete the culprit when he was entirely supportive of the offense when it did all of the things the OP claims he's responsible for it not doing.

How's a guy who tries to scheme PA over and over and over again ( in the face of his coach sayung he basically shouldn't) off a running game he can't get moving anywhere get a pass and the coach become the default issue.

It's such a myopic, lazy and entirely biased view of the game of football.

3rd downs suck because we have no reliable running game.

3rd downs suck because our O line has been decimated and ranks 27th in the league.

We have no reliable running game because our O line is a mess and our OC struggles to call one consistently. OH WAIT is THAT Pete? Pete - he who when Russ was here, basically the only bone critics would throw him was that he was great at establishing a running offense. Now, our running offense sucks for the first time (in this way) since he's been coach, and we pass 60% of the game or more whether we are behind or not...

And it's Pete's doing...

Hysterical.

Sure

If we play better today, it will be because Pete finally called out his OC in public and forcing him to figure Shi+ out.

I expect us to run much better. (Pete)

I expect us to throw to the TE much more often (they've been high percentage, low risk throws... no ints on throws to TEs - Pete)

And I expect overall execution to be better on both sides of the ball. -Pete.

The oversimplified, hyper bashing of the dude to the point of pre rationalizing us potentially playing well as unequivocal proof that Pete 'left Shane alone' is laughable.

Last edited:

Wheetie

Reaction score
Bud, Pete criticized Shane's playcalling. He said basically the plays he's calling aren't helping his qb. So what do you think that means? Maybe calling shorter routes? Maybe calling a better run game? Maybe using TEs?

You know the way he did against Detroit when Pete couldn't say enough about how great he and Geno were.

Or last year when Geno was distributing the ball to every blade of grass on the field and every receiver.

And...

1st. I never said that about schotty. I thought he was really good and said so multiple times. I was one of the few here who posted clips from film showing the plays he was calling worked really well and were wasted on Russ.

I did however say that Russ would never find success elsewhere because of the simple fact that he couldn't even execute Schotty's offense, let alone some guru's he and some here thought he needed to succeed.

2nd. Peteball is now, what? Because before we threw the ball all over the yard last year and this, Peteball, was run, run, pass, punt and being ok with. Now, Peteball is throwing to running 60 to 40? Ok.

And when we were throwing the ball short medium and long, all the Pete critics were quiet.

When we led the league in passes to TEs and TE based formations, Pete bashers were quiet.

And when we were throwing the ball all over the field taking what was there, Pete praised it, multiple times. And when Russ didnt do it in 2020 and 2021 , Pete called him out on it.

So now, its Pete who is what? Deleting underneath routes from the playbook? All the underneath routes in the NFL that you could possibly run... all the middle of the field routes you could scheme, Pete disallows?

And Pete himself in interviews this week said three things about the passing game 1. Limit the turnovers, 2. Limit mental errors. 3. CALL A BETTER GAME FOR THE QB..

As for Waldron, hes not in the same league as Schotty. Schottenheimer was actually an OC before he came here. Waldron was a passing game coordinator, for wunderkind McVay. So sure, can he scheme up some plays? Yeah. That's likely what he was doing for Sean. But drawing up plays and having a knack for understanding the ebbs and flows of game... thats a different ballgame. I mean serioulsy, I could draw up a play that could work in any league. But to put on a headset and be able to predict what a defense is doing, construct a gameplan, and adapt it in real time, 40seconds at a time? Waldron had exactly ZERO years experience doing that before he put on the headset here.

And the mistakes he's making here are well beyond just not calling plays with wrs here or there. He's not making basic adjustments to the pressures he's seeing on the field. So it's not like he's opting to some hypothetical tired, Pete play. He's just not doing anything.

How can you give the dude a pass and focus on Pete when with the exception of injury years, Seattle has always been known for its rushing attack. Always. What have our rankings been since Shane's been here? Below average. So we go from league leading for Pete's tenure under 3 OCs and then Shane gets here and we suck? But the guy who can't call a great run game with the contender for rookie of the year at RB in 22 and a battering ram of a #2 in Charbs is all of a sudden supposed to NOT be the problem when scheming the entirety of an offense?

I think Shane is a great play designer, but have little evidence that he's actually a great play caller. And thr time he actually called our most effective game of the year, against Detroit, like ive said multiple times, Pete was beside himself with praise.

And our running game is terrible and yet shouldnt be.

Pete bashers are looking at things like our reliance on PA as evidence that this is Pete's doing. Entirely misplaced. Anyone who has called plays or played football knows that the easiest way to buy your qb time and a 1/4 second advantage is with PA. ANYONE. it qualifies as basic pass strategy. Basic. As in, the kind of playcalling an inexperienced OC might lean on (too much) because it's something he's found success with before.

And it would actually work better if the run game was at all threatening. But how's our run game going again under this OC? Garbage.

So how do you square all of that? How is Pete the culprit when he was entirely supportive of the offense when it did all of the things the OP claims he's responsible for it not doing.

How's a guy who tries to scheme PA over and over and over again ( in the face of his coach sayung he basically shouldn't) off a running game he can't get moving anywhere get a pass and the coach become the default issue.

It's such a myopic, lazy and entirely biased view of the game of football.

3rd downs suck because we have no reliable running game.

3rd downs suck because our O line has been decimated and ranks 27th in the league.

We have no reliable running game because our O line is a mess and our OC struggles to call one consistently. OH WAIT is THAT Pete? Pete - he who when Russ was here, basically the only bone critics would throw him was that he was great at establishing a running offense. Now, our running offense sucks for the first time (in this way) since he's been coach, and we pass 60% of the game or more whether we are behind or not...

And it's Pete's doing...

Hysterical.

Sure

If we play better today, it will be because Pete finally called out his OC in public and forcing him to figure Shi+ out.

I expect us to run much better. (Pete)

I expect us to throw to the TE much more often (they've been high percentage, low risk throws... no ints on throws to TEs - Pete)

And I expect overall execution to be better on bathers sides of the ball. -Pete.

The oversimplified, hyper bashing of the dude to the point of pre rationalizing us potentially play well as unequivocal proof that Pete 'left Shane alone' is laughable.
Bud,

Bevell, ran out of town
Schotty, ran out of town
Waldron, the way things look now likely on the cusp of being ran out of town.

Why was Waldron hired? Because obviously he came from an offense that was imnovative and modern and yet, have we seen him running a similar style offense in Seattle? No.

If Pete Carroll isn't the problem regarding the offensive scheme, then he sure as hell is the problem when it comes to hiring capable coaches.

Mizak

Reaction score
Bud,

Bevell, ran out of town
Schotty, ran out of town

Why was Waldron hired? Because obviously he came from an offense that was imnovative and modern and yet, have we seen him running a similar style offense in Seattle? No.

If Pete Carroll isn't the problem regarding the offensive scheme, then he sure as hell is the problem when it comes to hiring capable coaches.
You also forget how many DC‘s have come and gone under Pete’s tenure.

keasley45

Reaction score
Stop me if you've heard these before.

The Seahawks are currently suffering on offense from only a coaching perspective mind you. What has been seemingly been plaguing them forever, regardless of OC/QB/or other personnel.

Here's looking at you, Petey.

1) Don't throw to the middle of the field.

(McVay loves to throw over the middle to the Slot and TE. So Waldron should too. Pete has a philosophy overriding this, as most INTs occur in the middle of the field they don't target there often.)

2) Don't utilize, or forget about the Tight Ends.

(See above #1.)

3) When opponents Blitz, everyone is running deep, no where to throw HOT.

(A Pete Carroll staple.)

4) Runs are straight forward up the gut, A Gap--B-Gap, not a lot of misdirection, not a lot of outside zone runs. Very easy for the opponent to plan for.

(Also a Pete Carrol staple. The Rams are an outside zone running team. They like to boot off of outside zone and throw it to the TE's.)

5) Screen game underutilized, when they do attempt it, highly ineffective. Bubble Screen to the slot WR is about the only screen play they ever call with any consistency, mostly ineffective.

6) Failure to move around their #1 WR and get him involved in the game early. Instead, line him up in the same spot--running the same routes, easy to gameplan and take away. Never motion him.

7) Protection issues pre-snap, not being adjusted by the Center or QB pre-snap.

8) Not going after opponents weaknesses on defense. A great example being, an opponent struggle's to cover the TE. Seattle won't attack it. They kinda just do what they do, oblivious of the opponent.

9) Highly effective play? Trying something new? Stop calling it, go back to runs up the gut, and bombing it deep.

10) Over using the main back like they are all Marshawn Lynch. Instead of sharing the load and keeping guys fresher.
Carson? Rawls? Walker? It don't matter. Whoever the lead back is, they are just like Marshawn Lynch, run him into the ground.

11) QB takes the same drop and same launch point over 'n over. Don't move the pocket, don't change the launch point.

(Pass rushers loves this as they no where the QB is gonna be.)

12) For having mobile QBs, don't call enough rollouts, and boots.

13) Not enough playaction, even though effective.

14) Penalties! Lead the league nearly every year.

15) 3rd and short, go empty.

16) 3rd and short, chuck it deep.

17) 3rd and long, run a give up play. Cool with punting.

18) 3rd downs in general, rank bottom half of the league to worst in the league, despite consistent Pro-Bowl QB play throughout the years.

Did I forget anything?

For how talented the Seahawks are, they have coaching issues all over the place on offense, that pre-date Waldron.
Bud,

Bevell, ran out of town
Schotty, ran out of town

Revisionist history. Did you see the story about Russ wanting Schotty gone?

Waldron was hired to appease Russ. Russ wanted a flashy, high octane hire. Do you honestly thing an OC who knows football woukd have wanted to come to Seattle to call plays for a QB who coukdnt execute them? No. Same reason Payton didn't want to coach in Denver.
So Pete got the closest thing, but had to opt for a guy with no experience who would be open to getting a shot. IN steps Shane.

And what has he shown? Spotty play calling, play to play. Game to game.

Interesting play design. But not coordinating.

And I agree on Pete's hire of Shane, but again, he was brought in to call plays for a guy who was limited in his ability to run traditional plays to begun with - something he's proven for 2 years now, this year, under one of the NFLs best play callers. I don't think Schotty woukd have been let go if not for Russ. And I guarantee you that if he were here now, we'd be in much better position. ESPECIALLY in the run game, which is KEY in this offense and was ALWAYS an element of our O that had to be respected. Not so under Waldron, despite having undeniable talent to use.

And you didn't answer any of my questions around how you rationalize Pete being the culprit. I'd sincerely be interested in understanding your view on each.

Because 'Peteball' has always included things like PA boots with throws to the TE. ALWAYS. When was the last time you saw one? Our O line sucks and our OC won't call a PA boot?

That's just one example.

Shane has been highly questionable of late and Pete has put him on notice. In public.

toffee

Reaction score

My observation for the past three years too, although he did have his moments here and there, but those were few and far in between.

toffee

Reaction score
Revisionist history. Did you see the story about Russ wanting Schotty gone?

Waldron was hired to appease Russ. Russ wanted a flashy, high octane hire. Do you honestly thing an OC who knows football woukd have wanted to come to Seattle to call plays for a QB who coukdnt execute them? No. Same reason Payton didn't want to coach in Denver.
So Pete got the closest thing, but had to opt for a guy with no experience who would be open to getting a shot. IN steps Shane.

And what has he shown? Spotty play calling, play to play. Game to game.

Interesting play design. But not coordinating.

And I agree on Pete's hire of Shane, but again, he was brought in to call plays for a guy who was limited in his ability to run traditional plays to begun with - something he's proven for 2 years now, this year, under one of the NFLs best play callers. I don't think Schotty woukd have been let go if not for Russ. And I guarantee you that if he were here now, we'd be in much better position. ESPECIALLY in the run game, which is KEY in this offense and was ALWAYS an element of our O that had to be respected. Not so under Waldron, despite having undeniable talent to use.

And you didn't answer any of my questions around how you rationalize Pete being the culprit. I'd sincerely be interested in understanding your view on each.

Because 'Peteball' has always included things like PA boots with throws to the TE. ALWAYS. When was the last time you saw one? Our O line sucks and our OC won't call a PA boot?

That's just one example.

Shane has been highly questionable of late and Pete has put him on notice. In public.
LOL, I have developed into a keasley45 fanboy, I seldom disagree with ya.

renofox

Reaction score
With the weapons the Seahawks have drafted and paid, top-10 Offense means they're underperforming.

They need to get to top-5.

LTH

Reaction score
Respectfully Keasley,

Well...this is an interesting perspective. Here is the thing, 49ers lose their L tackle, BP throws multiple INT'S and the Niners, arguably the best team in the league, go on a 3 game skid.

Hawks lose both tackles. on and off, most of the O line, working with back ups and a 41 year old O lineman and are tied for 1st in the west because Pete Carroll and his staff are excellent coaches. Hawks O isn't playing to its potential basically all year yet they still keep winning. Hawks lose to 2 of the best teams in the league yet people want to get rid of Geno and fire Pete.

I'm not sure how a team could be coached better than what Carroll is doing this year. This team would be 3 and 5 if coached by the average NFL coach.

In hind sight , could Waldron call a better game? Ok...but I think reserving that judgements until he is working with a O line that is healthy would be a much fairer assessment of Waldron.

Just my take

LTH

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Waldron offense has produced 0 tds in the past 1 1/2 games. Sputtering would be an improvement at this point.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Whats our record? How many seasons have we had Pete as HC? How many seasons have we NOT made the playoffs with carroll as coach? How many superbowls do we have without PC???

keasley45

Reaction score
Why does there have to be someone to blame? We had a top-10 offense last year with Pete, Geno, and Waldron. They'll figure things out.
Thank you.

Everytime the D struggles, Pete must go.

Everytime the O struggles, Pete must go and Geno isn't the answer.

This thread isn't the answer... to anything. Just more weaving of fragments of truth into a conspiracy theory that has Pete as the scapegoat no matter what the team does.

Run too much - Pete loves the run.

Pass too much - Pete loves the deep ball.

Ineffective playcalling on offense - Pete is meddling.

And on. And on. And on.

We have this thread and the 'geno isn't the answer thread ' that combined are pushing 70 or 80 pages.

And we have a 'students of the game' thread that can't tick over the 2nd page. Would love to see some of this constant blame game truthed out in some legit xs and os talk and film breakdown.

But that might get to the truth...

Which isn't the point of this thread or its 'Geno isn't the answer' counterpart.

LTH

Reaction score
Thank you.

Everytime the D struggles, Pete must go.

Everytime the O struggles, Pete must go and Geno isn't the answer.

This thread isn't the answer... to anything. Just more weaving of fragments of truth into a conspiracy theory that has Pete as the scapegoat no matter what the team does.

Run too much - Pete loves the run.

Pass too much - Pete loves the deep ball.

Ineffective playcalling on offense - Pete is meddling.

And on. And on. And on.

We have this thread and the 'geno isn't the answer thread ' that combined are pushing 70 or 80 pages.

And we have a 'students of the game' thread that can't tick over the 2nd page. Would love to see some of this constant blame game truthed out in some legit xs and os talk and film breakdown.

But that might get to the truth...

Which isn't the point of this thread or its 'Geno isn't the answer' counterpart.
Waldron, IMO, is doing OK. He made some nice adjustments in the second half of the game.

It just feels to me like they are having problems getting rhythm on O for several reasons. Penalties being a big one, not being able to protect Geno in certain formations, Geno's accuracy was off in the first half, indecisive routes, it's like one play, or penalty or something that knocks them off of schedule.

I just keep waiting for them to dial it in... I think it will be just one game that throws them over the top.anf then they just explode. I know it's going to happen its just a matter of when.

LTH