Tip of the cap to Tyler Lockett

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He now has 3 consecutive seasons with 1,000 plus receiving yards. And we still have 4 games left.
Largent is the ONLY other Hawks WR to have accomplished this. This guy is as steady and reliable as it comes in the NFL. Ridiculous talent, amazing route runner, rarely drops passes, consistently makes huge plays and tough catches. Proud this guy is a Seahawk, and is absolutely a leader on this team. In a very off year for this team, this guy is someone to appreciate.

and a link https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... rd-season/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lockett reminds me so much of Steve Largent, not only his style of play, but his demeanor as well.

Quiet, but a fierce competitor. Flawless route runner with a through the roof feel and football IQ for nuances of the game, and like Largent, grossly underestimated speed and quickness.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Like Largent, he finds himself wide open a LOT. That combo of intelligence on the field, speed, route running, very good hands and that ability to make spectacular catches in big moments.
And I suspect he learned a ton from Doug when it comes to scramble drills. And his toughness is maybe a little overlooked. How many times have we seen him get blasted on the field, and you think "oh crap, he's down" only to see him back out there w/in a couple plays?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hands down the best Seahawk pick in 2015 draft. To think he was a 3rd round pick. He's on his way to HOF career, if he continues this path. Doesn't hurt that his father was Kevin Lockett, who was a good player too, but Tyler's already surpassed him with his production.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely agree with the Largent parallels. He's quickly become one of my all-time favorite Seahawks.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Great thread!

Yes, Lockett is an incredible player and person. Very proud to have him on this team.

We appreciate all he does on and off the field

I also appreciate his ability to draw flags. He sells the PI better than any receiver in the league

rcaido

Reaction score
We picked him from the Graham trade...

Probably the most likeable Seahawk. I hope he gets Walter Payton Man of the Year award.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Tyler has become without doubt one of the best in the league. One thing that stands out above all the things mentioned above is his next level otherworldly footwork near the sidelines.
At least 3 of his catches yesterday were due to unconscious body control, I swear his head and hands move one way and then his lower body and feet are dancing to a different tune.
On one of his catches I was thinking the second foot touched the line but on replay he actually had 3 toe touches in bounds.

Future ROH and a chance at greater honors are in play for Tyler. Just another move made by Pete & John that came with question marks only to turn to gold.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Lots of day-after superlatives for Penny against the Texans. And all are well deserved.

But Tyler Lockett put up some monster numbers:

5 for 142 yds and a touchdown.

That's an average 28 and a half yards per reception.

Incredible player and so rewarding to watch him play.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And there have been several catches over the years where there was nothing wrong with the coverage. I truly believe it: a good throw can beat good coverage any day. But, you have to be able to come down with the catch. And he is without a doubt elite at catching the ball. All these years and I'm still shocked every time he comes down with these catches. Not just the sideline toe tap stuff. But the scramble drill catches in the end zone when Russ throws a laser at him. Or the over the shoulder catches on a regular bases. Shoot, last year he had a couple over the shoulder one handed catches. And there are absolutely times when Russ doesn't put it in stride and he contorts his body to make a catch that looks nearly impossible. And then the standard "did he catch that?" "Did he get his feet in?"

Jville

Reaction score
I think the world of Tyler Lockett.

Like Steve Largent, Tyler makes every one around him better.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The amazing thing about Tyler is how little YAC he tends to get. That sounds like a back-handed compliment, but it really isn't when you realize that almost all of his yards come through the air before the catch.

Lockett's average depth of target (15 yards) is way higher than any other receiver with high volume production and yet he's still somehow 8th overall in receiving yards. He has just perfected the art of adjusting his body to the throw, getting both feet in bounds, and securing the catch down to the ground. That's one of the most difficult things to do in the NFL and he's been the best at it for several years now.

jeremiah

Reaction score
In my house we call him Mr. Ricochet, he is quick and gets bounced a lot with little effect. For you young guys, watch Ricochet Rabbit cartoons... you may see why I give him that nickname.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
That Dolphin fin toe tap in the end zone (last year? Two seasons ago? Whateva) is still one of the most impressive toe taps I've ever seen. Under appreciated league wide, for sure. Ask the avg fan of any other team, and they likely have no idea who he is.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
His ability to know where he is on the field, all while making the catch and getting the feet down.........as good as just about any WR we have ever seen. Yes, he's that good.