TNF Cody Barton Got Trucked on Run, Burned on Pass

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anybody else notice, on Thursday Night Football, Bears @ Commanders, that former Seahawk Cody Barton, #57 for Washington Commanders, got trucked on a running play, where the Bears running back dragged him for about 15 extra yards? Then in the same series, got roasted for a pass completion, IIRC, it was a TD pass, where he couldn't keep up with the Bears TE?

One set of frustrations it's nice to NOT have this year, Barton getting abused in the run game. Barton actually wasn't THAT bad vs the pass for the Hawks IIRC, he did pick off Tom Brady so there's that, but I see he's still a disaster vs the run. It was kind of an embarrassment the way he got dragged so far by a Bears back who isn't exactly Christian Okoye-level powerful.

bileever

Reaction score
Cody Barton has had a rough year. He is ranked 76th among all linebackers on PFF, second-to-last, with an overall grade of 42.3. His run defense grade is 29.6, which may be a record low.

Our linebackers are ranked #2 (Bobby Wagner), #17 (Jordyn Brooks) and #27 (Devin Bush).

Polk738

Reaction score
Cody Barton has had a rough year. He is ranked 76th among all linebackers on PFF, second-to-last, with an overall grade of 42.3. His run defense grade is 29.6, which may be a record low.

Our linebackers are ranked #2 (Bobby Wagner), #17 (Jordyn Brooks) and #27 (Devin Bush).

I actually saw a rating of 37.8 but regardless, he is 100% pure grade a ASS, and it's no wonder why the Seahawks are so much better against the run this year with him off the team

JPatera76

Reaction score
I actually saw a rating of 37.8 but regardless, he is 100% pure grade a ASS, and it's no wonder why the Seahawks are so much better against the run this year with him off the team
I said that to my Brother in law (bears fan) i said the bears need to isolate and pick on Barton, it was my opinion and eye test that made me feel like he was a huge liability in Seattles defense and a decent contributor to why they sucked so bad. He’s gone and still having the same struggles there as he was here and iirc a few points the bears scored came of Barton Either blowing his assignment (out of place or entirely in the wrong space or los) or just overall poor coverage and lack of tackling by him

bileever

Reaction score
Yes, you're right, I was looking at his grade before last night's game. It's lower now, lol.

Screen Shot 2023 10 06 at 74728 AM

bileever

Reaction score
I posted some of these grades on the Cameron Young thread, but it's interesting to see that most of the players that we let go from last year's defense are not playing very well. In addition to Cody Barton, 37.8, here are the defensive linemen from last year, and how they're doing this year:

LJ Collier 37.0 (124), Poona Ford 51.5 (98), Al Woods 54.8 (79), Quentin Jefferson, 57.4 (69) and Shelby Harris 68.5 (36). The first number is the grade, the second number is their rank among interior defenders.

Aside from Shelby Harris, none of these guys are having a very good season, even though most of them are playing on good defenses. Harris (Browns), Ford (Bills), Jefferson and Woods (Jets) and Collier (Cardinals).

bileever

Reaction score
Jordyn Brooks has replaced Cody Barton, and Bobby Wagner replaced Brooks. I'd say that's a big improvement. Plus we now have Devin Bush.

Interestingly, Barton signed for the same amount as Devin Bush, $3.5 million.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
I posted some of these grades on the Cameron Young thread, but it's interesting to see that most of the players that we let go from last year's defense are not playing very well. In addition to Cody Barton, 37.8, here are the defensive linemen from last year, and how they're doing this year:

LJ Collier 37.0 (124), Poona Ford 51.5 (98), Al Woods 54.8 (79), Quentin Jefferson, 57.4 (69) and Shelby Harris 68.5 (36). The first number is the grade, the second number is their rank among interior defenders.

Aside from Shelby Harris, none of these guys are having a very good season, even though most of them are playing on good defenses. Harris (Browns), Ford (Bills), Jefferson and Woods (Jets) and Collier (Cardinals).
That's an informative post!
Please keep 'em coming, bileever!

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Really good kid, but just not a very good football player. Then again, he's in the NFL and I'm on my computer. So, do you Cody.
Do you Cody?
Is that in reminiscence of the old, "Do you Yahoo?" commercial?
If so, it's brilliant!

Polk738

Reaction score

Poona to me is the surprising one of the bunch, before they switched positions on the D-line he was one of the best interior lineman and I thought he would rise to something of Jarran Reed's level with another team but it looks like it just didn't happen. Not too surprised with Al Woods, he is just too old and beat up to be a solid contributor at this point in his career.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Nice kid, I was always rooting for him, but damn he's just not very good.
He was the Seahawk 3rd round pick in 2019. That turned out to be a terrible draft for them. Only DK Metcalf and Phil Haynes are still on the team from that draft. LJ Collier, Marquise Blair, Cody Barton, Gary Jennings, Ugo Amadi, Ben Burr-Kirven, Travis Homer, DeMarcus Christmas, and John Ursua are no longer on the team.

JPatera76

Reaction score
He was the Seahawk 3rd round pick in 2019. That turned out to be a terrible draft for them. Only DK Metcalf and Phil Haynes are still on the team from that draft. LJ Collier, Marquise Blair, Cody Barton, Gary Jennings, Ugo Amadi, Ben Burr-Kirven, Travis Homer, DeMarcus Christmas, and John Ursua are no longer on the team.
Travis Homer wasn’t bad, he was solid 3rd down back, good at block and catching and running, Ugo Amadi and Blair weren’t too bad either the rest just suck. Unfortunately I don’t think a lot of them are still playing. Homer is with the bears but injured, Collier is stinking it up with AZ, and Barton’s still a weak link in a defense. Thats about all I know. Also lol I’m going off the eye test.

Side note: We’re very scripted or obvious on what we do with third downs depending on who’s in at RB.. most times when Homer was in, he was pass blocking or waiting for a dump.

evergreen

Reaction score
Blair was made of glass. That draft was tragic except for stealing DK in the 2nd.

toffee

Reaction score
Poona to me is the surprising one of the bunch, before they switched positions on the D-line he was one of the best interior lineman and I thought he would rise to something of Jarran Reed's level with another team but it looks like it just didn't happen. Not too surprised with Al Woods, he is just too old and beat up to be a solid contributor at this point in his career.
Hey Al caught the slippery Russell Wilson for a safety. Al did one for all the Hawks defense players over the years, he finally touched the untouchable.