Today's fun fact about Russell Wilson with Percy Harvin

kearly

Reaction score
I was curious how effective Wilson has been with Harvin on the field, so I crunched the numbers and found a result you may find interesting.

Percy Harvin left his first two games (Minnesota and Saints) at half time. He played most of the Super Bowl and saw plenty of action in the 2nd and 3rd preseason games this year. For this sample, I added up all of Wilson's numbers for pass attempts when Harvin was still an active part of the game.

This is by no means a perfect accounting as it includes preseason stats during a year where pass defense is just about impossible, and I am working under the potentially faulty assumption that Harvin stayed in those preseason games as long as Wilson did. So take these numbers with a grain of salt. That said:

vs. Minnesota, with Harvin:

9/11, 173 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

vs. Saints (Divisional round playoffs), with Harvin:

7/9, 62 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT (Seattle led 16-0 at halftime when Harvin left the game)

SB XLVIII

18/25, 205 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

vs. Chargers (preseason)

11/13, 121 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT

vs. Bears (preseason)

15/20, 202 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Add it all up and you get:

60/78, 764 yards, 5 TD, 0 INT

76.9% completion rate
9.8 yards per attempt
128.4 passer rating

Seattle also ran the crap out of the ball during those five games. And scored a lot. Seattle as a team averaged 36.4 points per game in this five game sample (and that number rises slightly if you take out the non-Harvin second halves against Minny and New Orleans).

Remember last year's issues scoring in the 1st half? In all five games with Harvin Seattle scored more points in the first half than the second, and in all five cases Seattle scored enough points to win by halftime.

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
That's awesome... but it worries me having one player, who we're all holding our breath plays a full season, having such a dramatic impact (i.e. 20 points in RW's passer rating). Hoping our offense doesn't have too steep of a drop-off if he gets hurt again this year.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Beer Hawk":2tknp7no said:
That's awesome... but it worries me having one player, who we're all holding our breath plays a full season, having such a dramatic impact (i.e. 20 points in RW's passer rating). Hoping our offense doesn't have too steep of a drop-off if he gets hurt again this year.

Dont worry so much Beer Hawk. We won the damn superbowl last year with getting a combined 2 games worth of Harvin. Anything he brings is GRAVY BABY!!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Beer Hawk":32j8cl81 said:
It's kind of what happens when you have an elite receiver like Harvin. He just naturally becomes the focal point of the offense especially with how the rules are slanted. Luckily we have many other weapons which at least one of them is a proven focal point himself if needed.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We shouldn't be worried at all like Gowazzu02 said we pretty much won it with Harvin playing only two regular season games. Harvin will give us a better chance to put points on the board early and often. If for the chance that injury happens, this squad is ready to play with or without him and it showed last season. The drive they will have on their side is to repeat a superbowl victory. Every conventional ideas and stats don't dictate the outcome of this team, we have broken stats that said we couldn't on many occasions, and will break more records this year. This is why I'm not worried, as long as Russell stays healthy, he keeps this team going.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Dude. That's insane. Holy holiest of holies.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
acer1240":36p7vmxw said:
Kearly,

Thank you. Impressive work.

Normally double post's bother me but yours not so much. I wouldn't mind if you randomly posted to just say hello. As long as you keep your avatar. :p

Nice work Kearly, great info. Pretty scary for the rest of the league how good RW can possibly be if we set him up to win. Imagine if the O-line actually turns out to be half decent. I'm not talking elite, just middle of the road. With the weapons Wilson has and some time to boot, it could be downright scary.

For those fretting the Harvin injury, try and relax. The guy was a work horse in Minny and still only missed 3 out of 59 games and two of those were to migraines he no longer suffers from. He won;t be asked to play nearly as much in Seattle, he has a much better QB and supporting cast around him and he is now healthier than ever. Color me not worried.

Having said that last line I have to add in ( to prevent cursing him/us) anything can happen and players do get hurt. Percy also doesn't avoid contact. In fact he seeks it out much like Lynch but for the most part everyone seems to be buying into the hype machine. Just because the Niners hang their future on it doesn't mean it is true.

A few thoughts.

He is healthier than he has been since high school.

He won't be asked to do near as much here as he was in Minnesota.

He will likely be taken out of games and not be returning kickoffs any time we have large leads and with this offense and defense, that could be very often.

His injury history is grossly exaggerated to help Niner fans sleep at night but the truth is he has been through war and was pretty reliable through all of it.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
One other caveat for these numbers, none of these instances were true road games. Four were at home, and one was at a neutral location (that sort of felt like a home game).

Russell Wilson for his career has large home/road splits, playing much better at home even without Harvin. Wilson's career passer rating at home is 112.8 (which doesn't count the preseason, where his home numbers are even higher), so the jump with Harvin is not QUITE as enormous as I first thought, but still damn impressive.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2e0ztwj2 said:
One other caveat for these numbers, none of these instances were true road games. Four were at home, and one was at a neutral location (that sort of felt like a home game).

Russell Wilson for his career has pretty high home/road splits, playing much better at home even without Harvin. Wilson's career passer rating at home is 112.8 (which doesn't count the preseason, where his home numbers are even higher), so the jump with Harvin is not QUITE as enormous as I first thought, but still damn impressive.
Too late to make excuses kearly :p