Todd Gurley

sutz

Reaction score
Gurly doesn't scare me anywhere near what he did 5 years ago.

He's in the twilight of his career.

Optimus25

Reaction score
RCATES":26o6bngy said:
TreeRon":26o6bngy said:
"Bobby fell off a cliff last year." Completely ridiculous statement.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-linebacker ... nfl-season

This is how the Article you listed starts: "Even with Bobby Wagner taking a step back last season"

Lmao

hahaha. that was good.

yeah, Bobby definitely lost a step in quickness. It compares to me as the post injury, 2017? i think Lockett. You would see him on the field, and you recognize the player, you see the potential quickness, but he just wasn't hitting that gear you swore you saw before the injury. That's what Bobby looks like to me for all of 2019. Just top heavy and one millisecond behind plays that i remember him being ahead of in the past. When I watch Fred Warner play i see the speed I used to see in bobby. But hey, i'd still take 2020 bobby over a metric boatload of NFL backers...

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm not overly worried about Gurley. Tackling is a concern with limited practices and no preseason, but that affects the Falcons as well and should benefit Carson equally. If they have a big day on the ground then our offense should too.

My bigger concern about this game is just simple mistakes due to it being a road opener and our lack of practice time. I expect the post game conference to be full of discussions about how they just need to tighten up their run fits, fix communication issues on the OL, avoid penalties and eliminate turnovers.

RCATES":3pdm7w18 said:
This is how the Article you listed starts: "Even with Bobby Wagner taking a step back last season"
And this is how it continues: "... the Seahawks have the best linebacking corps in the league. Wagner has the second-best overall grade in the league over the past two years (90.5)".

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
RCATES":2xkspklc said:
3 LB's with a median age of 32. Lets be honest. Bobby fell off a cliff last year. Wright is still serviceable but a liabiluty in coverage. Curious to see what Bruce has left. The front 7 really concerns me this year.

I cant agree with this because I dont think Wright is serviceable anymore. While Wagner took a step back, it was Wright that fell off the cliff. While some people laud the Hawks LB corp, i'm concerned about them. Very concerned actually.

RCATES

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":39hg3kmi said:
RCATES":39hg3kmi said:
3 LB's with a median age of 32. Lets be honest. Bobby fell off a cliff last year. Wright is still serviceable but a liabiluty in coverage. Curious to see what Bruce has left. The front 7 really concerns me this year.

I cant agree with this because I dont think Wright is serviceable anymore. While Wagner took a step back, it was Wright that fell off the cliff. While some people laud the Hawks LB corp, i'm concerned about them. Very concerned actually.

Yeah I agree. Both Wagner and Wright looked slow last year and were constantly out of position.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
I will guarantee that Carroll is making sure that the defense take Todd Gurley seriously in this game .

chris98251

Reaction score
We had Dline issues last year, not talking edge as much as inside, those guys have two things to do, stop the run and push the pocket as well as keep the O lineman from getting to the next level. When they do it messes with angles and or creates situations where a Linebacker has to fight them off and disengage and then find carrier and or receiver and his angle again.

Why people thought Lewis and Suggs had lost a step also for a while. The D line didn't give them room to play in space.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
These posts amplify why the Pre-season games are so important. The Hawks are stepping onto an opponents field of play with "WAG" as to how this team will respond. The posters here are also guessing how our Defense will perform against an outstanding RB. If the Hawks perform based on previous first games on the Road....we could find ourselves down by 14 points at the end of the first quarter.

Elemas

Reaction score
I'm thinking our front 7 may surprise us this year. Everything on paper...says it shouldn't. Additionally, if it weren't for our secondary, I'd guess that our preseason defensive ranking would be damn near the bottom.

But...I have a feeling that we are going to "over-perform" with the guys we brought in. Not to mention, LJ getting the go ahead nod has me anxious as all get out. I'm praying that we get to see a hint of why he was drafted high.

RCATES

Reaction score
chris98251":1483ca7u said:
We had Dline issues last year, not talking edge as much as inside, those guys have two things to do, stop the run and push the pocket as well as keep the O lineman from getting to the next level. When they do it messes with angles and or creates situations where a Linebacker has to fight them off and disengage and then find carrier and or receiver and his angle again.

Why people thought Lewis and Suggs had lost a step also for a while. The D line didn't give them room to play in space.

What happened to Poona Ford? Looked fantastic at the start last year.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Re. Wagner, I thought I saw plays last year where he had to try and stay with a slot receiver or a back on crossing routes across the field due to so much base D. Pretty tough for him and then add in lack of pass rush and I don't know how many linebackers could have looked good in that situation.

toffee

Reaction score
xray":1vseclgd said:
The Hawks need to improve on run defense this season . They were ranked 22nd in that category , and that was with Clowney who is a very good run defender . Who will fill that void ?
Collier

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm not worried about KJ in these early games. I was pushing to trade him last off season, then he came out of the starting blocks on fire. I felt like I had made a mistake.

However, midway through the season, it became clear that he lost the stamina to keep it up for a full season. His critics will focus on the second half of the season.

Was it injury related? Perhaps. I think it is age. Getting some young, rotational players into the linebacking Corp will help.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RCATES":3bx2lcbv said:
pittpnthrs":3bx2lcbv said:
RCATES":3bx2lcbv said:

Yeah I agree. Both Wagner and Wright looked slow last year and were constantly out of position.

Jordyn Brooks. Speed Kills. Assuming Brooks is healthy, he will be a major contributor earlier than most expect. He'll be corralling Gurley, along with Jamal Adams. Two speedy difference-makers the Hawks didn't have last year. I expect Gurley to get stuffed a lot. Sure, he'll have a couple good runs, but not at-will, like the Rams used to abuse us with him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
olyfan63":2raopnlb said:
RCATES":2raopnlb said:
pittpnthrs":2raopnlb said:
RCATES":2raopnlb said:

Jordyn Brooks. Speed Kills. Assuming Brooks is healthy, he will be a major contributor earlier than most expect. He'll be corralling Gurley, along with Jamal Adams. Two speedy difference-makers the Hawks didn't have last year. I expect Gurley to get stuffed a lot. Sure, he'll have a couple good runs, but not at-will, like the Rams used to abuse us with him.

Irvin is great setting the edge too.

edge rushes won't kill the hawks like last year.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1sod5o9b said:
How we feeling about Wagner after that game ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had a great game. Not feeling great about Brooks though.

Smellyman

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":34ioxsj1 said:
bigskydoc":34ioxsj1 said:
How we feeling about Wagner after that game ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had a great game. Not feeling great about Brooks though.

Patrick Queen led Baltimore in tackles, forced a fumble, had a sack...

time will tell