Wade Phillips says he’s out of nfl due to age discrimination

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

If discrimination is a factor, unfortunately it’s a legal one. Federal age discrimination statutes only cover workers 40 to 70. Wade is 75.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
His decision as Bills head coach to bench regular season starter Flutie heading into the playoffs and start Rob "Robo-sack" Johnson is enough evidence, even back then, that he is unqualified to coach any NFL team.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
His decision as Bills head coach to bench regular season starter Flutie heading into the playoffs and start Rob "Robo-sack" Johnson is enough evidence, even back then, that he is unqualified to coach any NFL team.
OMG, I so agree, I remember that. Rob Johnson SUCKED and Flutie was the hot hand. Totally killed their season. I've always kinda rooted for the Bills to finally get a superb owl and I was paying attention that year. Plus I was a Flutie fan, always felt he got shafted over his size, when he was a really good QB

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
From the Rams perspective they were #20 & #17 in Wade’s last two years @ DC and shot to #1 after replacing him.

They dropped back down to #15 the following year, but hard to argue moving to Staley wasn‘t the right move.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Florio ends his article with a hope that an old coach will do as Flores did, meaning filing Suit.

There is no basis. The law Itself allows job discrimination based on age for anyone under 40 or over 70.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
OMG, I so agree, I remember that. Rob Johnson SUCKED and Flutie was the hot hand. Totally killed their season. I've always kinda rooted for the Bills to finally get a superb owl and I was paying attention that year. Plus I was a Flutie fan, always felt he got shafted over his size, when he was a really good QB
Crazy huh?
Imagine that on the eve of the 2013 playoffs, Pete Carroll held a press conference and announced “My feeling is with either one of them we can win, but we're sitting Russell Wilson and starting Tavaris Jackson .”

And then go on to lose in the most humiliating manner.

Torc

Reaction score
he may not be wrong. If I were an owner I'd probably be looking for a coach younger than 75. But I'm not sure that's a bad call. Why hire someone who is already well past retirement age and who is more likely to have sudden health issues that impact his job? NFL head coach isn't exactly the least stressful job on the planet.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I don't remember this. Doug Flutie was fun to watch though.

chrispy

Reaction score
There was a segment during Combine coverage today about promoting females and females of color into roles that have traditionally been held by (old) white guys. Seems like, maybe, Wade has benefitted from the good ole boys club for so long he now feels entitled to a cush job. ...just a perspective that might be prevalent among jurors if he goes to court.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
There was a segment during Combine coverage today about promoting females and females of color into roles that have traditionally been held by (old) white guys. Seems like, maybe, Wade has benefitted from the good ole boys club for so long he now feels entitled to a cush job. ...just a perspective that might be prevalent among jurors if he goes to court.

He has no case if he’s over 70 in court. He has no grounds for age discriminstion, which really makes me look askance at Mike Florio, who was a lawyer.

CPHawk

Reaction score

If discrimination is a factor, unfortunately it’s a legal one. Federal age discrimination statutes only cover workers 40 to 70. Wade is 75.
But he identifies as a 42 yo in shape man.

flv2

Reaction score
His defensive scheme with the Rams looked out of date. Supposedly it was a 3DL scheme but with 2 OLBs on the LOS and it looked like a 5-1-5 line-up. The OLBs couldn't help with inside run support so it put a lot of pressure on the Ss to make tackles. The Rams gave up a lot of big inside runs. The offense was mostly able to overcome those rushing deficiencies but his being released wasn't a surprise and few fans were upset. It was as if the game had passed him by.

Fade

Reaction score
Crazy huh?
Imagine that on the eve of the 2013 playoffs, Pete Carroll held a press conference and announced “My feeling is with either one of them we can win, but we're sitting Russell Wilson and starting Tavaris Jackson .”

And then go on to lose in the most humiliating manner.
https://eu.democratandchronicle.com...y-doug-flutie-vs-rob-johnson-2000/5471768002/

"This, of course, was at the height of the quarterback controversy revolving around Flutie and Rob Johnson, one that had been doused in gasoline and lit on fire eight months earlier when owner Ralph Wilson insisted that coach Wade Phillips start Johnson in the wild-card playoff game against Tennessee."

That wasn't a Wade Phillips decision. Bills ownership paid Rob Johnson and wanted him to start.

Not every coach in the league has power like Pete Carroll and gets to run things how they want. Some answer to the GM, and then you have meddling owners that will dictate certain things, especially as it pertains to QB.

Wade Phillips was an excellent DC. He's better than Clint Hurtt right now.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Well I guess we can't ask the dead guy about it.

Rob Johnson stunk up the first half. Why didn't Wade bring in Flutie for the second half then?

The whole thing was a debacle and farce.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Why hire someone . . . who is more likely to have sudden health issues that impact his job?
That's literally the epitome of discrimination. This is like saying, "I won't hire women because they might get pregnant" or "I wont hire Native Americans because they have a higher mortality rate".

Now on the surface level you can say, "Well It's my business I can hire who I want" and for the most part you can do that. You just can't actively discriminate. But your business also enjoys access to various programs to help navigate these things and other benefits such as the ability to declare bankruptcy when your brilliant idea doesn't work out - so if you want to have that attitude you might wanna locate your business overseas somewhere where both businesses and employees don't enjoy protections and you can pick and choose yourself and also be fully responsible for the consequences if your business fails.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
That's literally the epitome of discrimination. This is like saying, "I won't hire women because they might get pregnant" or "I wont hire Native Americans because they have a higher mortality rate".

Now on the surface level you can say, "Well It's my business I can hire who I want" and for the most part you can do that. You just can't actively discriminate. But your business also enjoys access to various programs to help navigate these things and other benefits such as the ability to declare bankruptcy when your brilliant idea doesn't work out - so if you want to have that attitude you might wanna locate your business overseas somewhere where both businesses and employees don't enjoy protections and you can pick and choose yourself and also be fully responsible for the consequences if your business fails.

An Employer can legally discriminate against age for anyone under 40 or over 69.