MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2130d3sy said:
907Hawk":2130d3sy said:
MontanaHawk05":2130d3sy said:
Presented without comment.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/945701053714100226[/tweet]

Pull the trigger Russ.

What an awful play to analyze and blame on Russ.

1. Ifedi got blown up, the defender was in his face immediately.
2. The defender guessed right on Lockett and would of either had an interception or a hard hit on Lockett.

Which is why you have to sometimes just credit defenses for shutting plays down. Even good offenses lose some plays.

3. There was literally probably half a second to hit his first and only read, Lockett for an 8ish yard gain that would have been near the sticks, if he did a three-step drop and released.

The play was on 3rd and 5. 8 yards for Lockett would have been a first down.

The boom-boom nature is by design. Such plays are intended to get the ball out before pressure arrives, thus helping protect Russ.

Nevertheless, if released at the right time, I think the ball has a better chance than not of reaching Lockett without an interception. It goes to show how Wilson's conservative nature early in games tends to mess with the offense (and would with any offense). If it's the fourth quarter and Seattle is down, I feel pretty confident that Wilson risks that throw.

907Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2ruwj1dt said:
907Hawk":2ruwj1dt said:
renofox":2ruwj1dt said:
907Hawk":2ruwj1dt said:
Pull the trigger Russ.

Am I the only one who sees the slot defender (not sure if nickel or lb) letting his man go free in anticipation of jumping Lockett's route? Defender had excellent position to make the pick 6. Good no-throw.

Not a good no throw, if thrown on-time to Lockett it would have been an easy completion. The DB you refer to was in trailing position on Graham, this would have also been an easy throw for a potentially bigger gain, instead Wilson took a 22 yard sack, on third and 5 an incomplete pass would have greatly helped field position.

Now before you get upset let me just say give it a rest, its only one play, I am only talking about this one play.

Hmm yeah sorry he is right a good no throw. Guard even said it. The db was baiting him

Well if Guard said it never mind, the 22 yard sack was another great play then.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":p318xv33 said:
He wasn't conservative on that rifle to Richardson for that huge first down in the 4th quarter. Nails

Of course not. It was the fourth quarter.

It really helps if you think of sacks as avoided interceptions.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3m9xewfc said:
My point being is the dude is nails when the game is on the line. One of the best in football.

Leaving every game on the line in the 4th quarter means that the team is riding a razor's edge at all times, and fewer games have been falling the Seahawks' way on that razor's edge in the last few years thanks to injuries, kicker woes, and most of all, lack of a running game.

Our health and talent have moved a few notches down in the last few years, yet Pete's conservatism hasn't. That, to me, exemplifies our slow decline. Pete still has enough talent on his roster to be better. He just doesn't have the balls.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1ydlsqko said:
907Hawk":1ydlsqko said:
renofox":1ydlsqko said:
907Hawk":1ydlsqko said:
Pull the trigger Russ.

Am I the only one who sees the slot defender (not sure if nickel or lb) letting his man go free in anticipation of jumping Lockett's route? Defender had excellent position to make the pick 6. Good no-throw.

Not a good no throw, if thrown on-time to Lockett it would have been an easy completion. The DB you refer to was in trailing position on Graham, this would have also been an easy throw for a potentially bigger gain, instead Willson took a 22 yard sack, on third and 5 an incomplete pass would have greatly helped field position.

Now before you get upset let me just say give it a rest, its only one play, I am only talking about this one play.

There is literally only one situation where this play could have worked from the beginning regardless and it includes a pre-read to Lockett after a three-step drop.

The offensive line getting blown up and forcing Russell to escape the pocket is not Russell's fault.

Should he just be expected to make every throw in which he is running for his life? Guy makes like 80% of those plays work so I'll give him a pass. I do wish he would throw the ball away a bit more.

I'm more surprised he didn't hit McKissic after the spin out.

renofox

Reaction score
907Hawk":26gvcvpn said:
renofox":26gvcvpn said:
907Hawk":26gvcvpn said:
MontanaHawk05":26gvcvpn said:

Pull the trigger Russ.

Not a good no throw, if thrown on-time to Lockett it would have been an easy completion. The DB you refer to was in trailing position on Graham, this would have also been an easy throw for a potentially bigger gain, instead Wilson took a 22 yard sack, on third and 5 an incomplete pass would have greatly helped field position.

How do you figure? You would be right if Lockett was running a hitch, curl or out route, then throwing the ball just before Lockett hit the top of the route would have been a completion and a 1st down. But that is not the route he was running. He was running a dig/in. In this particular route concept, the most likely design and progression calls for the safety/lb to be cleared toward the inside/back of his zone by the other receivers on the left side of the formation. If that is the case, the throw to Lockett was designed to take place at about 2.0 - 2.5 seconds. RW had under 2.0 seconds to throw - at the 2.0 second mark he was already spinning out to avoid the sack.

You can find plenty of posts where I am critical of RW's play. This play, however, did not fail because he missed Lockett. It failed because Ifedi whiffed. RW weighed the odds on a sure punt (throwing it away) vs. risking a little field position loss to try for a first down, and decided the risk was worth it. He guessed wrong this time. Oh, well.

randomation

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":5153jv76 said:

If he tried to throw there his arm would have gotten chopped look at the point his feet gets set and how close on his right the Dallas defender is.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3jvytqbd said:
Typical Pete-approved road gameplan. Use field position, defense to keep things close and then strike hard at the end to seal the win. Offense did its part to do just that. Late touchdowns were nicely drawn up.

To Pete's credit, they clearly came out with attacking, score-early-and-often game plans against the Houston Texans and the Falcons.

If what you're saying is true, and I suspect it probably is, it points to Pete's confidence in how our D would match up against Dallas. Thankfully the D backed it up.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I get that the defensive game plan worked this week but I don't trust the D to do it consistently and that's only because of injuries. We played conservatively in the Falcons playoff game and got destroyed because of it due to the D being completely unable to stop the Falcons offense.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":3h4epgt6 said:
Siouxhawk":3h4epgt6 said:
Typical Pete-approved road gameplan. Use field position, defense to keep things close and then strike hard at the end to seal the win. Offense did its part to do just that. Late touchdowns were nicely drawn up.

To Pete's credit, they clearly came out with attacking, score-early-and-often game plans against the Houston Texans and the Falcons.

If what you're saying is true, and I suspect it probably is, it points to Pete's confidence in how our D would match up against Dallas. Thankfully the D backed it up.

Defensive game plan? Conservative? Or flow of the game?

I don’t know, before the last two drives when they had a two score lead, and were trying to run out the clock, Russell had thrown the ball 19 times. Four of those were deep passes (thats 20% total), three of his first seven passes were incomplete deep balls (42%) to Baldwin (1) and Richerson (2).

It doesn’t seem to me that the game plan was defensive or conservative, it just changed when
A) Dallas didn’t score in the red zone
B) They had a short field on Dez’ fumble and scored, and
C) Coleman got the pick-6

Even their one long drive the score was aided by Baldwin’s deep reception late in the third. I’d say the game plan was to try to get the ball deep, score early and win the time of possession battle, but as it seems to happen all too often this season, they just didn’t succeed, for a variety of reasons.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
renofox":88dlj34s said:
This play, however, did not fail because he missed Lockett. It failed because Ifedi whiffed.

It failed because the defense won. Gotta give them credit.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Wilson has this instinct to always turn backwards. In the video above, he should have climbed the pocket and delivered the ball. Spinning backwards makes it nearly impossible to block. At that point, he's on his own.

This is another reason it would be great to have a fresh offensive mind on the coaching staff to challenge him and to help him cultivate new instincts.

renofox

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1dcftcis said:
renofox":1dcftcis said:
This play, however, did not fail because he missed Lockett. It failed because Ifedi whiffed.

It failed because the defense won. Gotta give them credit.

Yes. DLaw owned Ifedi. DLaw succeeded. Ifedi failed. Tomayto, tomahto.

Seymour

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1p44wg1x said:
Wilson's absolutely not flawless, but I've been saying for years that if we let our protection of him keep getting worse, we'll turn him into a Carr/Bulger (David Carr, not Derek); promising QBs that had their careers ruined from years of terrible pass protection. It's a real thing; quarterbacks start hearing footsteps even when there aren't any.

Agree and absolutely it is a real thing, and is human nature (most primary human instinct is survival ie run Russell run!). There are signs of it beginning to take place, and 33% of those polled here think it's already a done deal.

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138997

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2017":mazsdv2b said:
Wilson has this instinct to always turn backwards. In the video above, he should have climbed the pocket and delivered the ball. Spinning backwards makes it nearly impossible to block. At that point, he's on his own.

This is another reason it would be great to have a fresh offensive mind on the coaching staff to challenge him and to help him cultivate new instincts.

First he climbed the pocket several times int hat game, 2nd I trust his instincts better than your opinion. He did what he felt was the best thing to do, and guess what most of the time he is right

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seymour":3iotxlyx said:
RolandDeschain":3iotxlyx said:
Wilson's absolutely not flawless, but I've been saying for years that if we let our protection of him keep getting worse, we'll turn him into a Carr/Bulger (David Carr, not Derek); promising QBs that had their careers ruined from years of terrible pass protection. It's a real thing; quarterbacks start hearing footsteps even when there aren't any.

Agree and absolutely it is a real thing, and is human nature (most primary human instinct is survival ie run Russell run!). There are signs of it beginning to take place, and 33% of those polled here think it's already a done deal.

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=138997

It is a valid concern however given he stands tall in the pocket a lot still I do not believe it has happened yet

Own The West

Reaction score
My observations are these:
- Russ doesn’t trust his line, so he backs or spins out of the pocket instead of stepping up.
- The NFL has seen Russ’s 180 scramble move, so now it results in sacks.
- Russ holds on to the ball longer than any QB in the league, so I am not sure how much I can blame Cable and the line.
- Bevell on the otherhand is directly responsible for scheme, down/distance, and putting people in a position to be successful. Given our declining productivity over the last few years, I will be very disappointed if Bevell returns next year.

We have great athletes, but aren’t playing quality football on offense. By comparison, the defense has been riddled with injuries and still has only had one poor quality outing.