We are #20 in post draft power ranking

toffee

Reaction score
So in expert opinion, we dropped from top 12 being one of the twelve playoff teams, to top 20. Mainly because of frank Clark and Angry Doug.

High: 15
Low: 22

If there were any questions before, there aren't now.

The days of a power running game and the Legion of Boom are over. The Seattle Seahawks are Russell Wilson's team now.

The Seahawks made that clear when they made Wilson the highest-paid player in the game. But that massive contract has consequences; part of the reason the Seahawks traded Frank Clark was likely borne of the financial reality that 18 percent of the team's salary cap is tied up in a single player.

The Seahawks are a good football team—a playoff team a year ago. And Seattle could easily be in the mix for at least a wild-card spot again this year.

But with Clark gone, the pass rush is now a potential problem. The wide receiver position could be as well if injuries force Doug Baldwin to retire.

The Seahawks attempted to address both of those areas in this year's draft, but if picks like L.J. Collier and D.K. Metcalf don't pan out relatively quickly, the Seahawks could be in trouble

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... -nfl-draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I don't think LJ Collier was Clark's replacement. Clark's replacement is going to be a committee of a UFA pickup post May 8, Jacob Martin and Rasheem Green.

Collier is a Michael Bennett replacement. 5 Tech end that can move inside on passing downs.

Similarly, DK Metcalf is a David Moore replacement. Doug's replacement is either Ursua or Jennings who are both more suited to slot receiver work.

I think its pretty short sighted to think the team somehow got worse. Everyone said we were doomed last year when we lost all those defenders and then KJ and Earl essentially go down for the year. Ended up the 5 seed.

Losing Clark and Baldwin will be blows for sure, but Schneider has stocked up enough young talent at those positions to fill the roles and I think we upgrade the WR corps, Safety corps and LB corps substantially with this draft. I'm looking at big year 2 leaps from Green, Martin, Ford, Flowers and year 3 leaps from Hill and Griffin.

And who knows, maybe Amari Darboh stays healthy and shows he can hold the slot receiver postion. He was a talented kid coming out of Michigan and must see the writing on the wall after this draft. Ball out or ship out.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of the picks seemed more like high floor low ceiling picks than the kind we are used to but we got guys like the DK that seemed to be the opposite of that too.

For now, there is little way to know. When we drafted him, who knew Flowers was going to be a solid potential CB? He was a safety.

The only way to know is wait until the preseason and see how they look against at least decent competition. Sure 2/3 of the people they face will not be on a roster later - but at least we will see how they play in our own system and plays. Then we can get upset, get excited, whatever.

It didn't seem too bad. The trading down exacerbates things a bit, because you see 'better' players go off the board in areas of need after the trade - it can be frustrating. But this is how they do things so we might be able to get upset about but we probably cannot be that surprised.

We look like we have some solid potential players to work with. I am actually hoping we can use Burr-Kirven as box safety, I don't think Blair is big enough at all for that role.

We won't know what we are ranked at until we see this team in the preseason. I would have thought #15-#17 and that isn't THAT far from #20. How we filled the gaps with the draft and how many of those players will be able to contribute in year 1 will be the telling part.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I kinda like it when the "experts" give us D's and F's. Now I'm nervous.

Obviously time will tell on this draft class, but like last year I love that we're drafting into our identity, and not desperation.

All our draft picks are Seahawks. Physical, tough, explosive, intense and most importantly, love to play ball. Plus unlike in previous drafts, MOST of these players will have a chance to come in and make impacts immediately.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Last year the "Experts" were saying that letting Jimmy Graham go would cost us 10 touchdowns because "the Seahawks don't have anybody to replace those touchdowns."

How accurate was THAT prediction? in 2018 the Seahawks scored the 3rd most points in franchise history!

So the theory that letting one "elite" player go drops a team in to the dungeon has a lot of holes in it.

But hey, it makes a great story. :snack:

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
The experts did not factor in what Pete said during post draft presser. Pete clearly stated that the process is NOT completed, there are help on DL in the works, so the experts are correct that as is our pass rush isn't adequate, but neglect what is in the pipe line. So on the DL, some FA will do the heavy lifting this season, but on WR, team will pick among draftees.

I suspect John working the comp pick angle, there are guys lined up to sign once the deadline passes.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
toffee":2enkylvh said:
The experts did not factor in what Pete said during post draft presser. Pete clearly stated that the process is completed, there are help on DL in the works, so the experts are correct that as is our pass rush isn't adequate, but neglect what is in the pipe line. So on the DL, some FA will do the heavy lifting this season, but on WR, team will pick among draftees.

I suspect John working the comp pick angle, there are guys lined up to sign once the deadline passes.
THIS :D

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
20 is just hater material. He's actually a fairly astute NFL mind but 20, really? This team is realistically #8-10.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought this was NFL Network's Elliot Harrison.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seems just a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad low. I would think the Seahawks are still the odds on favorite to be #2 in the NFC West. San Fran might surprise, but after 2 years of the Lynch and Shanahan show there's not a lot to bank on things just being bad luck so far. Maybe, but they've lost any benefit of the doubt. If the Hawks were in the NFC South, NFC East, or the AFC North, I think you could argue for them being favored in the division.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":m1woba9i said:
Seems just a taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad low. I would think the Seahawks are still the odds on favorite to be #2 in the NFC West. San Fran might surprise, but after 2 years of the Lynch and Shanahan show there's not a lot to bank on things just being bad luck so far. Maybe, but they've lost any benefit of the doubt. If the Hawks were in the NFC South, NFC East, or the AFC North, I think you could argue for them being favored in the division.

Every team in the NFC west had a great draft, so if the west isn't the most competitive division, it'll sure as hell be close.

I put literally ZERO stock in pre or post draft grades. As we found out with our own 2012 draft class that received D's and F's from most experts, you just don't know how any draft class is going to perform for at least a year or two.

But on paper? I like what we did. We got some football players, plain and simple. Maybe none will be pro-bowlers, but they will bust their ass and compete.

knownone

Reaction score
We are easily a top 5 team in the NFC. I think we are a better team than the Rams. If we make a few moves in free agency to shore up our pass rush, we'll be a top 3 team when healthy.

Jville

Reaction score
Media group think can be simultaneously entertaining and annoying.

Coming up with post draft power rankings is like trying to get a glimpse into each car of a fast moving train.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't see LJ Collier as a Frank Clark replacement. Collier is going to help solidify the LDE position and hopefully provide some pass rush from that side.

I think we will replace Frank with what the Hawks have done previously at RDE (Leo). Go back to a smaller, quicker pass rushing type player there, where Clark was more of a traditional RDE.

Right now it would be a combination of Martin/Orchard.

Nate Orchard had a reputation as a decent pass rusher when he came out. Hand on the ground was supposed to be his strongest skills. He may surprise us a bit.

They bring in one more veteran to compete with those two at the RDE position and we may not be horrible. :)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":1w5qiqsx said:
Last year the "Experts" were saying that letting Jimmy Graham go would cost us 10 touchdowns because "the Seahawks don't have anybody to replace those touchdowns."

How accurate was THAT prediction? in 2018 the Seahawks scored the 3rd most points in franchise history!

So the theory that letting one "elite" player go drops a team in to the dungeon has a lot of holes in it.

But hey, it makes a great story. :snack:

Not really. The 10 touchdowns were replaced because an elite player was throwing to the remaining targets. Doesn't work the same way with pass rushers.

I have a hunch we'll exit the playoffs in January - and I'm fine with that if it happens.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31ray8t5 said:
I kinda like it when the "experts" give us D's and F's. Now I'm nervous.

Obviously time will tell on this draft class, but like last year I love that we're drafting into our identity, and not desperation.

All our draft picks are Seahawks. Physical, tough, explosive, intense and most importantly, love to play ball. Plus unlike in previous drafts, MOST of these players will have a chance to come in and make impacts immediately.
Excellent breakdown. I feel the same and am excited for this draft class.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
toffee":1i5ps7ws said:
So in expert opinion, we dropped from top 12 being one of the twelve playoff teams, to top 20. Mainly because of frank Clark and Angry Doug.

High: 15
Low: 22

If there were any questions before, there aren't now.

The days of a power running game and the Legion of Boom are over. The Seattle Seahawks are Russell Wilson's team now.

So I guess the power run game from last year is no longer going to work?!

mrblitz

Reaction score
In this era, Seahawks should pretty much be a top-8 team in any power ranking. ymmv