We lost because

Zap90

Reaction score
Benson mayoawa”s dumb play killed it. He couldn’t block that fg even though he tried.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Because of the sad run attempt on late fourth quarter when one conversion would have been enough for a win.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kf3339":2u63wl9f said:
Coaching decisions, refs, RW interceptions and a historically bad defense. Pretty much it for me.
Add piss poor tackling to that list.

Pete and Schotty need to realize they dont have the LOB anymore.
They need to start putting teams away on offense when they have a chance.

Letting teams hang around, allows things to happen via a shitty defense and steering job by the zebras.

Sad thing is if Adams plays this game Hawks win.

olyfan63

Reaction score
...Because AZ's defensive coordinator badkly outcoached Schotty and Russell, and got pressure on, and sacked and hit Russell late in the game. Schotty and Russell couldn't get us into the right plays.

DJ Dallas badly failed blitz pickup resulted in a Russell sack. Not sure why it wasn't Homer in there, was Homer injured?

We had no answers for their deceptive blitzes in OT.

They had 2 second stringers in on their D-Line and a 2nd-string corner. We failed to exploit their 2nd stringers.

AZ is a good team with a better defense than ours and a much better D-coordinator than ours.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
AZ out coached us. Their defensive coordinator has got my kudos, he was dialing some really exotic blitzes, and pressure schemes. He was very creative with the pressure, and he lulled Russell Wilson into a sense of false security. They were using their LB's in interesting ways. They were playing the long con, and everytime they switched things up, it seems it caused a turnover. They baited Wilson hard, and he seemed to have a lot of difficulty reading what the Cards were doing. Our offensive line didn't play bad either, Wilson and Pocic just had trouble identifying where the pressure was going to come from. For example, on one sack the MLB faked like he was going into coverage then ran straight through the line after Wilson shifted the coverage to the left side. This let him run unabated to the QB.

The other thing that was frustrating was the playcalling. We've abandoned a lot of the short passes, and dink and dunk that we were doing earlier. This tendency of Pete's drives me MAD. I don't see us making much of an attempt to get our players into space on short routes. For example, DK Metcalf in particular is very good in space -- he also is adept at running slant routes. We made a lot of head scratching situational calls, and at the end of the game we mailed it in. Three straight runs and punt. Slowly but surely we've been reverted back to the old offensive schema that we had last season. I noticed a lot more running on first down, and more long developing plays over the last few weeks. We're slowly, but surely sinking back into old habits.

On defense what we're doing is garbage. Chris Collinsworth said it best when he said "why is Flowers playing 10 yards off of the receiver when they're trying to keep them out of field goal range?" Seattle's situational awareness is awful on defense. I don't think that a new coordinator is going to make Seattle a top 10 unit all of the sudden, but I do think we're leaving a lot of potential on the table with Norton Jr. I've heard several commentators question why we're doing certain things on defense now. Even when most of our guys were healthy this was a poor defensive team. The whole defense just looks incohesive, and it has now for a few years.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I honestly think that Russ got his bell rung in the first half. His int's were very uncharacteristic and to have 3 in one game; I don't know. There was likely miscommunication, but he didn't seem himself. On another note, young Mr Dallas needs to study more tape. He almost got Russ killed twice.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1rvffysr said:
AZ out coached us. Their defensive coordinator has got my kudos, he was dialing some really exotic blitzes, and pressure schemes. He was very creative with the pressure, and he lulled Russell Wilson into a sense of false security. They were using their LB's in interesting ways. They were playing the long con, and everytime they switched things up, it seems it caused a turnover. They baited Wilson hard, and he seemed to have a lot of difficulty reading what the Cards were doing. Our offensive line didn't play bad either, Wilson and Pocic just had trouble identifying where the pressure was going to come from. For example, on one sack the MLB faked like he was going into coverage then ran straight through the line after Wilson shifted the coverage to the left side. This let him run unabated to the QB.

The other thing that was frustrating was the playcalling. We've abandoned a lot of the short passes, and dink and dunk that we were doing earlier. This tendency of Pete's drives me MAD. I don't see us making much of an attempt to get our players into space on short routes. For example, DK Metcalf in particular is very good in space -- he also is adept at running slant routes. We made a lot of head scratching situational calls, and at the end of the game we mailed it in. Three straight runs and punt. Slowly but surely we've been reverted back to the old offensive schema that we had last season. I noticed a lot more running on first down, and more long developing plays over the last few weeks. We're slowly, but surely sinking back into old habits.

On defense what we're doing is garbage. Chris Collinsworth said it best when he said "why is Flowers playing 10 yards off of the receiver when they're trying to keep them out of field goal range?" Seattle's situational awareness is awful on defense. I don't think that a new coordinator is going to make Seattle a top 10 unit all of the sudden, but I do think we're leaving a lot of potential on the table with Norton Jr. I've heard several commentators question why we're doing certain things on defense now. Even when most of our guys were healthy this was a poor defensive team. The whole defense just looks incohesive, and it has now for a few years.

Correct post !

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Totally agree on Vance Joseph getting aggressive when they couldn't get a pass rush going to do something different. And it worked. In the meantime nothing from our end. In OT when the Cards are so close to FG range, what do you have to lose? Take a chance.

hawker84

Reaction score
We lost because our defense is dog crap, period. We lost because on the most crucial drive of the game, our coaching staff took the ball out of the hands of the best player in the leagues and ran it 3 times just to punt it back and rely on our defense to hold. Arguably the worst defense in the league. In all fairness to AZ, this game should have never went to OT. Turnovers and penalties didn't help, but we scored over 30 points. More than enough..

getnasty

Reaction score
Seanhawk":11va5g8d said:
getnasty":11va5g8d said:
Three picks, the defense is gonna be bad but Russ can't give aways points if we're gonna go far.

He didn't really give away points on the first two picks though. Both resulted in zero points for AZ and the 'Hawks scored TDs on both ensuing drives.

When you on your 3 yard line and give the team the other ball you lose at least 3 points. Sure Arizona might not have scored (thanks to the defense) but either did we. We score at least 6 points off the first two turnovers.

xray

Reaction score
Wilson was pressing too hard and got picked off . He's trying to compensate for a D that is porous and inconsistent and sometimes sloppy . The Cardinals were tenacious and seemed fresher in the 4th quarter . The Hawks D looked gassed at the end . The Cards are better than we thought too .

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Face it, the defence simply is awful. No pressures. No sacks. not even one QB hit. No lead ever seems safe.

That’s it, nothing else is truly a reason for the L.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":20elwc8n said:
I think not converting a 3&2 in regulation or cashing in on two opportunities in OT is why they lost. Please stop acting like the Cards are some weak ass team, they have tons of playmakers and a legit next gen QB. Tough loss...on to next week
I dunno if Homer was hurt but having the small rookie in for blitz pickup in the final minutes absolutely killed us. I thought his whole reason for being on the team was for his ST and pass blocking. That 3rd down was brutal and Dallas was just looking around stunned after he completely missed the blitzed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We lost because we have a DC that cannot protect a lead with 1:30 to go.

This year, when we have the lead by less than 2 scores at the end of the game...I pretty much expect the other team to get back into scoring position in under a minute.

Even with as little as 45 seconds in the other game, I was worried we were going to let them back into FG position. This game I think we let the Cards march in little more than a minute.

We don't even TRY to force the other team to run the clock. We play so paranoid of giving up the big play, we allow teams to march 40 yds in a few seconds of game time as the sidelines are completely unprotected. Yes the sidelines are like another defender BUT NOT AT THE END OF THE GAMES. Near the end of games, the sidelines are the enemy. You protect them. Norton does not.

The cushions we give are nonsensical. The coverage makes no sense. 3 man rushes almost assure a complete pass (I hate these even when they work). And our DC is the least imaginative, likely least intelligent DC in the NFL. The results bear this out.

(Under 2 min, If you cannot get pressure then go to a 3-4 and send your LBs at the end of games. We don't have the NT for a 3-4 but it just makes us vulnerable against the run. Get the slow fat guys off the field. Let them run, it bleeds their clock. Honestly, I doubt it matters. The better QBs are going to violate this defense)

Wilson appears to know this and is forcing stuff. He has to.

But hey, we are good against the run...as if that matters for anything.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Defense gave up 500+ and only forced 2 punts in 5 quarters. Flowers playing 15 yards off when they need less than 10 for a field goal to win it. Is that on him? Scheme? Coaching? All of it? Pete/Norton need to look in the mirror and figure something out. I've seen less talented units play much, much better. You have to get creative in scheming them some help. AZ defense was terrible all night too but in those last few minutes they totally shifted what they were trying to do and it confused Russ and Schott as we didn't adapt. We never force teams into those types of situation. We literally do the same vanilla thing over and over. For all of the defensive genius talk its baffling at how little we do to help our guys. Maybe it gets better with Adams, Snacks etc. I hope so

Russ made a couple of really bizarre picks. I think the one in the end zone wasn't fully his fault as it was a scramble drill and him and DK were just on different pages. The first one I have no clue why he continues to float passes in those situations and gets burned over and over on them. The last one to Lockett was terrible too. But we know he will be fine and we're not in the game either without him.

Coaching was bad. the 3rd and 2 hyde run, the long outside pitch for a loss of 6 when you just needed any positive yards seemed like Schott was over thinking it. The lack of change on defense all game all of it. Burning two timeouts early in the 4th etc. It feels like the staff gets outcoached way too often and in similar fashion which is frustrating. Ive always said Pete is maybe the best ever at the soft stuff and pretty average at in game decisions, time management etc.

That was one of the toughest losses I can remember. Way too many mistakes at almost every level and there was enough blame for all of them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I said after week two that if Russell doesn't play perfectly so the offense can score 35-40 points a game? We lose.

That's how bad this defense is, and that's what happened last night............Russell didn't play perfectly, especially in the 2nd half and overtime.

So we lost. Nothing's changed since week 2, and nothing will change. This is how 2020 is going to go, Russell plays lights out, or we lose.

TypeSly

Reaction score
There were so many factors that lead to this L. And almost all of them had to happen exactly when they did, for the Seahawks to lose this game. This is why, this L is so particularly frustrating.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Maybe they could have gone with a different play but based on how Hyde was running and what he got on first and second down, I was ok with running the ball on 3rd and 2.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I didn’t mind running three times in that situation but I wish they would’ve run the read option to Russ. Probably would’ve gotten a first and put him over 100 rushing.