What happened to Goff?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Well, he did participate in a Superbowl once upon a time.

No small feat.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
We will see after today...I'm expecting a Goff pick-a-thon if SF gets in his face with the pass rush. I think as far as Detroit fans are concerned they've already won this year even with a loss today. Goff did what no Detroit qb could do in a zillion years. He will be loved there forever..

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
We will see after today...I'm expecting a Goff pick-a-thon if SF gets in his face with the pass rush. I think as far as Detroit fans are concerned they've already won this year even with a loss today. Goff did what no Detroit qb could do in a zillion years. He will be loved there forever..
I was watching the BUCS/Lions game last night.. Ididn't realize it was a replay from a week ago FFS. Seahawks are out.. stop following. I looked at the score board on some site and saw detroit playing the 9ers to day and was really confused there for a couple of minutes. And Ididn't see any game thread posts which I thought was odd.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I was watching the BUCS/Lions game last night.. Ididn't realize it was a replay from a week ago FFS. Seahawks are out.. stop following. I looked at the score board on some site and saw detroit playing the 9ers to day and was really confused there for a couple of minutes. And Ididn't see any game thread posts which I thought was odd.
Probably because SF has already won this game...Detroit just doesn't know it yet...

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Well, he did participate in a Superbowl once upon a time.

No small feat.

Yes, and in that Super Bowl, Belichick showed the league how to destroy the Rams' offense: line up one way so McVay could read the defense as it was and then radio the play call to Goff, and then, when the play clock reached 15 seconds and radio contact was cut off, change the way the defense was lined up. Goff was unable to read the defense himself and change the protection and/or the play to be run, and McVay no longer had any good way to tell JaGoff what to do. That's why the vaunted Rams offense, which had averaged almost 33 points per game in the regular season, scored a grand total three (three!) points in that Super Bowl.

What I think @Bobblehead's point was at the beginning of this thread is that despite the league knowing how to stop a Goff-quarterbacked offense dead since the Super Bowl after the 2018 season (Super Bowl LIII), Goff has actually been one of the best quarterbacks in the league this year. I'm not sure if he did a lot of studying and can actually read a defense now, but my best uninformed guess would be some combination of Goff having improved in that area and Ben Johnson finding ways to make things hard on the defense despite whatever's left of Goff's limitations in game knowledge and quick reasoning.

toffee

Reaction score
Yes, and in that Super Bowl, Belichick showed the league how to destroy the Rams' offense: line up one way so McVay could read the defense as it was and then radio the play call to Goff, and then, when the play clock reached 15 seconds and radio contact was cut off, change the way the defense was lined up. Goff was unable to read the defense himself and change the protection and/or the play to be run, and McVay no longer had any good way to tell JaGoff what to do. That's why the vaunted Rams offense, which had averaged almost 33 points per game in the regular season, scored a grand total three (three!) points in that Super Bowl.

What I think @Bobblehead's point was at the beginning of this thread is that despite the league knowing how to stop a Goff-quarterbacked offense dead since the Super Bowl after the 2018 season (Super Bowl LIII), Goff has actually been one of the best quarterbacks in the league this year. I'm not sure if he did a lot of studying and can actually read a defense now, but my best uninformed guess would be some combination of Goff having improved in that area and Ben Johnson finding ways to make things hard on the defense despite whatever's left of Goff's limitations in game knowledge and quick reasoning.
Or McVay was a control freak that never allowed Goff to make calls or adjustments?

toffee

Reaction score
Think there was an obvious rift there..just don't think the Rams thought they could win a super bowl with Goff.
I agree with ya, therefore, I am all for Lions to win this year. For the long suffering Lions, and Goff too.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Go Lions!

Incidentally, Belichick and Brady didn't exactly light up the the scoreboard in that "classic".

Lowest score in a Superbowl ever.

I guess the balls were inflated to factory specs.

Latest posts