What is really important to foster the .Net community

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Largent80":1gj0mfap said:
HawkStrong":1gj0mfap said:
Largent80":1gj0mfap said:
This is a gigantic crock of $h!t about PMedic. He ORGANIZED a bunch of gatherings not only in Washington but Texas...This is $h!t that people say this and that is the problem with this current site.

You have people like Hawkstrong that weren't even here putting down good people that did good things for this site, yet, you let them do it...Get a grip and get rid of the parasites that are here.

I didn't put down anyone. Your behavior has contributed to the state of the site as well.

Yeah 20 years worth of contribution.

If that's what you want to call it, sure.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":aitg6qnc said:
For those of you saying Wen's focusing on the "money thing" for profit, have you read the thread about reaching the break even goal?
And even if he is trying to make a bit of a profit here, which I personally don't believe, he ain't gettin' rich off $20 donations.

How many members on this board? 5k+ times $20 equals how much? You don't think Wen would be happy with that? LOL!

I pay my dues day1, always have always will. Now somebody help me down off this @$*&^! soap box! :les:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LymonHawk":bl7movf6 said:
How many members on this board? 5k+ times $20 equals how much? You don't think Wen would be happy with that? LOL!
Fair but you know what the chances of getting even one tenth of those 5000 to donate are......slim to none. And from what I see, 5k members translates to around 200 active to semi-active folks.
And I am in no way here to white knight for Wen. Just offering my opinion. And of course I do believe you've donated. What else you gonna do with your poker winnings?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I've been here a few years now and most of you are cool.
I know we are a bunch of different people and we are not going to
agree on a lot of things...The world would be boring if we did right?
Anyway one thing I think some could be better at is understanding
that opinion is ok and not to take it personal and it is ok to disagree.
No hard feelings and life goes on.
Anyone can PM me if they want...I know some of you a lot better this
way and I know we sure didn't always agree but we are good.
Wen:Your trying your best...Don't ever stop.

John63

Reaction score
So I just made a donation, and have no problem with it if it keeps the site going. The work needed is alot and if $20 keeps it up so be it. Being a relatively new person I would disagree with whoever said the new people don't want to make relationships. I do. And have responded to everyone who has reached out to me privately and I have reached out to a few.

I do think another issue is some on here, a small group just look for something they can relentless keep bring up over and over. Example you spell a word wrong and any post you have they bring that up,

I think that if everyone was more understanding, more thoughtful the board would be better. I know I need to be, and I am working on it. Example in a thread someone who in another thread tried to bait me and I ignored it and foed him. I will continue to try to find ways to make my self a better community member

The way I see it, it is not the whole group on this board but a small group. Perhaps if we all just try a little harder to be better members it will rub off and the community as a whole will improve.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
John63":3m49cy8f said:
I do think another issue is some on here, a small group just look for something they can relentless keep bring up over and over,..........
OK I'm going to be as nice as I possibly can here.......you're complaining about the exact thing people complain about as it concerns your posts. Nearly every single post you make is about let(ting) Russ cook, going more uptempo (Russ throwing more included in that), let Russ carry the offense more in the first half, get better o-linemen to protect Russ better, Russ is killing it at the skills competition, Russ, Russ, Russ ad naseum. Look I have stated on numerous occasions he's a first ballot HOFer but for heaven's sake there's more to a team than the QB. You've stated on several occasions you've coached the game. So if that's the case, give us some insight on why we should or shouldn't offer Jaren Reed, why you think Tre Flowers will be better or why he won't, whether or not you think we should re-sign Ifedi and why, etc.

I'm likely wasting my time here but thought I'd at least try.

xray

Reaction score
But if what if a member has " oppositional defiant disorder " what then ? huh?. lighten it up . :D

chris98251

Reaction score
Jesus guys this was about what we can do to foster this place to more of a community, not point fingers at posters, this is why we are in our dilemma. It's not soap boxing, pointing fingers or I have more inches then you posts. It's collectively agreeing to disagree in a almost civil manner about most things.

And having a place that accepts our differences and opinions.

xray

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ddyma67 said:
John63":2ddyma67 said:
I do think another issue is some on here, a small group just look for something they can relentless keep bring up over and over,..........
OK I'm going to be as nice as I possibly can here.......you're complaining about the exact thing people complain about as it concerns your posts. Nearly every single post you make is about let(ting) Russ cook, going more uptempo (Russ throwing more included in that), let Russ carry the offense more in the first half, get better o-linemen to protect Russ better, Russ is killing it at the skills competition, Russ, Russ, Russ ad naseum. Look I have stated on numerous occasions he's a first ballot HOFer but for heaven's sake there's more to a team than the QB. You've stated on several occasions you've coached the game. So if that's the case, give us some insight on why we should or shouldn't offer Jaren Reed, why you think Tre Flowers will be better or why he won't, whether or not you think we should re-sign Ifedi and why, etc.

yep

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":1t41plh1 said:
Jesus guys this was about what we can do to foster this place to more of a community, not point fingers at posters, this is why we are in our dilemma. It's not soap boxing, pointing fingers or I have more inches then you posts. It's collectively agreeing to disagree in a almost civil manner about most things.

Yes hence why I never mentioned anyone by name but was general

John63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":19te8osq said:
John63":19te8osq said:

Hm. I guess my admitting my place in all this, unlike some, and striving to be better is lossed on some.

FYI I have commented on other topics some just either don't read them or don't care, and instead only seem to care when I talk about Wilson. Also, FYI this is a forum it is my right to react or comment on the topics I choose to do so. In some in this threads' zeal to point fingers in this thread, and tell me what I can or cannot comment on they have shown exactly what is wrong with the forum. I did not point fingers, I took responsibility for my own mistakes and some pointed fingers and told me what I should or should not do and others piled on good job.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":2hcudepk said:
chris98251":2hcudepk said:

How about everyone avoid even doing that, and just use the ignore button the way it was intended if they have a problem with someone?

This thread was supposed to be a positive opportunity for new strategies for growing the board. Instead we've just turned it into a forum for airing grievances.

THAT, in my opinion, is the biggest thing holding the board back right now. Potentially insightful and productive posters come here, see a bunch of grown men acting like church ladies with 30-year grudges, and go somewhere else.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":166cb7cc said:
John63":166cb7cc said:
chris98251":166cb7cc said:

How about everyone avoid even doing that, and just use the ignore button the way it was intended if they have a problem with someone?

This thread was supposed to be a positive opportunity for new strategies for growing the board. Instead we've just turned it into a forum for airing grievances.

THAT, in my opinion, is the biggest thing holding the board back right now. Potentially insightful and productive posters come here, see a bunch of grown men acting like church ladies with 30-year grudges, and go somewhere else.

I agree

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my view forums such as this one still serve a valuable purpose by enabling discussions. Reddit and twitter are inherently better for breaking news or as platforms to simply share your opinions with others, but neither are very good at fostering ongoing conversation.

To whatever degree this place has lost posters who are willing to discuss topics in depth and replaced them with posters that repeat their own opinions as often as possible is a negative factor.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":5jmzw7e1 said:
In my view forums such as this one still serve a valuable purpose by enabling discussions. Reddit and twitter are inherently better for breaking news or as platforms to simply share your opinions with others, but neither are very good at fostering ongoing conversation.

To whatever degree this place has lost posters who are willing to discuss topics in depth and replaced them with posters that repeat their own opinions as often as possible is a negative factor.

Even if so, how do we make the best of what we have?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And there you have it. On a post where the question is basically how to make things better, the negative stuff rolls in yet again. I love going to this site and talking football, I only come on when I'm at work, but it CAN be a very good place to talk football. But it has been so negative for so long, not sure if it will ever change. Time will tell.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":30elzd8c said:
Afraid it might well be a dying option and old, get off my lawn guys like me that hate social media will have few outlets if that does happen.

Yep me too.

My old man rant about it is that newer platforms aren't architecturally designed for actual conversation: the anger and hatred and polarization that comes from them is literally baked into the way they're designed.

If I was trying to have sustained interaction and mutual respect with Hawks fans on Facebook or Reddit or Twitter (LOL) it would be nearly impossible, so I don't even bother.

It matters less for football, but even back when KFFL was big and I was an active poster in the political forum there I
never totally changed one of my political beliefs from those conversations, but they definitely made me more sympathetic and understanding of those who held different ones, and from that community I finally actually learned that the people I disagreed with politically were actual people who weren't just idiots or caricatures or villains. :lol: :lol:

And to NOT be just doom and gloom, although all phpBBs are in decline, that doesn't mean that smaller communities are necessarily worse communities. TBH I think they can be better (e.g. .net vs. the Zone, which is bigger, and is made to feel MUCH bigger than even it is because of the policies about creating new threads and dumping everything into existing threads, which makes it practically impossible to have actual conversations).

Nunya

Reaction score
I have been involved with internet forums for over 20 years. There are a few things that are fairly consistent with EVERY forum....whether it be Sports, Games, or Politics.

1. They need money and people to run them. Servers to handle the traffic, anti-hacking tools, repairs after hacks (and there will be hacks), hosting costs, website design.....they all cost time and/or money. The more active the site, the more money needed. Many forum users do not donate...but may over time. Example: I normally do not donate right away. I give it time to see how much the forum feels like "home". If I feel comfortable where I think i will spend a lot of time on the site, I will donate regularly. However, there are many who will never donate....and these people should not be shamed into donating. All that does is drive them away. "Begging for money" (not saying that is happening here) will turn people off and drive them away fairly quickly. In my opinion, the best method of passively aggressive method to request donations is to have a pinned thread at the top of each sub-forum titled "How to Donate"....and maybe have a visual bar at the top showing the target dollar amount needed to keep the forum open and the progress towards that target.

2. The forum atmosphere can be determined by the moderators. Moderating an opinion forum is like herding cats and is a thankless job. Too little moderating and the forum turns into a cesspool. Too much moderating and people feel censored. Not moderating equally (whether intentionally or not) with all members and the claim of "favoritism" is made. Moderators should have no reservations of removing posts or even a portion of a post if they believe the tone is too aggressive toward another member. Moderators must be willing to remain non-bias, be willing to commit a lot of their time, pretty much be willing to read almost every post....or be proactive to react to every complaint, and understand that people posting on an opinion forum are opinionated and may let emotions take over at times. Good moderators, in the numbers needed, are very hard to find.

3. People posting on opinion forums are often very opinionated themselves. That is why they are here. They often think they are right on everything and anybody that hold an opinion opposite as theirs are lacking in intelligence or critical thinking. However, there is a right way and a wrong way to get your point across. NEVER resort to making a member the topic. Stick to and address the topic itself. NEVER resort to name calling or Ad Hominem attacks. NEVER re-word what another member posts to show YOUR definition as to what they said. ALWAYS provide links or data to back up your stance (if possible). If you are posting opinion, show that it is opinion and do not try to present it as fact. Be respectful. All of these are easy to say....but often hard to do.

4. Those posters that many members seem to constantly argue with or "gang up on" are important to forums.....they create discussion. There is nothing worse than a forum where everybody agrees on everything. Don't attack them personally, address what they post. Nobody will stick around long if they feel they are the "whipping boy". Other, less active members, will not stick around long if the forum turns into a sniping range. Be respectful and try to be polite. In the words of Dalton: "Be nice....".

Sorry this is so long.

TLRD: In the end, the forum is what us members make it. Not the owners, not the moderators, but us members. If you act like you are in a cesspool, it will be a cesspool. Be courteous, be respectful, and most of all, "be nice..."....even if you think the person you are responding to has no clue on what they are talking about.

Latest posts