Which Super Bowl loss was worse 49 or 28-3?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Objectively speaking if you weren’t a Seahawks fan I’d say the Falcons blowing a 25 point lead was worse. Interested to get your alls take. An NFL video I watched ranked SB 49 as the worst loss ever, but one play vs 25 points, idk. Thoughts?

calinator

Reaction score
28-3 is probably worse because it was over a quarter of bad not playing to win choking. Literally in the palm of the hand.

I honestly don't think the play call in 49 was that bad and it only hurts because everyone wants to bring it up. When you talk to asshole fans of other teams they have to harp about that crap all the time. Here's the thing, Marshawn got stuffed on first down and it was absolutely no guarantee he could make it with the Patriots filling the box.

All year it seemed that quick slant up the middle was an auto touchdown but the funny thing is they threw it to Lynch a lot. Just a great play by Butler that he never made in practice. One thing they could have tried is a rollout bootleg but for some reason that has never been a big part of the Seahawks playbook which is stupid. They don't use Wilsons legs enough especially on the read option it's ridiculous.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
28-3. At least 49 was always a competitive game not to mention that Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor were all banged up and Lane broke his arm after INT.

Falcons had that game, should've crushed but they shit the bed.

seahawksny

Reaction score
28-3. Slow dagger.
49? Bullet to head.

Super bowl 40 also.. slow dagger to every part of body. Much worse than 49 and it's not even close

quadsas

Reaction score
If you were watching Falcons choke you knew that when they got to field goal range and got sacked and penalised out of it the game was over, even though they were up by like 14 at that point. But you knew Patriots were going to win it. Takes all the stakes out of it.

49 was the best Superbowl of all time, so obvious that takes the cake

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
49 was worst by a landslide for Hawks fans. :irishdrinkers:

253hawk

Reaction score
I think if you do the math, the Falcons could have won even if they just kneeled the ball every play with :01 on the play clock instead of doing...whatever the hell they were doing on offense.

Msfann

Reaction score
seahawksny":ftcc89z7 said:
28-3. Slow dagger.
49? Bullet to head.

Super bowl 40 also.. slow dagger to every part of body. Much worse than 49 and it's not even close
This! I don't care much about 49, we almost won it and we did win it the year before. I put it out of my mind. But XL crushed me and still bothers me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":38o9fsay said:
Objectively speaking if you weren’t a Seahawks fan I’d say the Falcons blowing a 25 point lead was worse. Interested to get your alls take. An NFL video I watched ranked SB 49 as the worst loss ever, but one play vs 25 points, idk. Thoughts?
Falcons and KS blowing a 25 point lead in the second half is worse.

Doesn’t take the sting out of the 2nd and wrong in 49 (idiot OC) and XL* (Super fix) however.

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
253hawk":12lcxi8i said:
I think if you do the math, the Falcons could have won even if they just kneeled the ball every play with :01 on the play clock instead of doing...whatever the hell they were doing on offense.

Yeah I'll chime in on this one and give you my point of view.

28-3 I think is the be all end all of sports chokes. What you said is exactly what I said... what the hell are they doing on offense?

What was KS thinking? Why are they passing the ball with a 25 point lead? Over and over again? Never mind the fact the D was on the field for 90 plays because they couldn't stop anyone... they had so many chances to win that game by just kneeling the ball. Julio makes the catch at the end... kneel it twice and kick the game clincher! Matt Bryant was money! He wasn't missing that kick!

Nope... lets just get sacked instead.

Kyle Shanahan is the reason the Falcons lost that SB. His head was in SF already.

My interest in football will never be the same. You don't recover as a fan from something like that. Never mind the fact that Georgia sports teams have a history of choking (Braves every year from 1991-2005 with the exception of 1995)... Falcons in 2012 NFCCG up 17-0 at home over SF... 28-3.... Georgia Bulldogs over Alabama (Twice)...

Meh. If any team was gonna one up 49... it would be the Falcons... and they did it with 28-3.

Ya'll are welcome to take Quinn back after he gets fired on Black Monday. His legacy is 28-3 and that will never change... even though I blame 28-3 more on Shanahan but in a way it probably should be on Quinn. He's the HC and should have overruled KS's asinine play calling. But then again, Ryan was MVP. Why didn't he?

Falcons D isn't any better in 2019 than it was in 2015 when Quinn started. I think he's a product of the amazing defensive talent he had in Seattle. Not impressed at all with his HC ability. 5-0 to 8-8 in 2015.... 28-3 in 2016. To complete garbage 2 years later which is unacceptable with the roster the Falcons have.

Good luck the rest of the way!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The Falcons have never won a Super Bowl. The Seahawks won a Super Bowl the year before that. Even a regular, non choke-job loss by the Falcons is worse than the won the Seahawks had in that Super Bowl. The way the Falcons lost? It's not even a competition to me.

seahawksny

Reaction score
:mrgreen:
bmorepunk":2scm2ppo said:
The Falcons have never won a Super Bowl. The Seahawks won a Super Bowl the year before that. Even a regular, non choke-job loss by the Falcons is worse than the won the Seahawks had in that Super Bowl. The way the Falcons lost? It's not even a competition to me.

This. Thank you. Someone finally agrees with me. 49 stung, but winning the year before softened it a little.

Two worst Seattle losses for me were....
Super bowl 40
Sonics in first round to Denver in 1994.

These two losses stung much worse to me than 49

As I said before... Super bowl 40 was a dagger to every limb of my body for the entire 60 minutes. From beginning to end, it was horrific

The sonics went up 2-0 and then, like super bowl 40 was a slow dagger for the next 3 games and I never saw a championship. Not before or after.
I was 4 in 1979.

Bemorepunk is right. super bowl 40 we had no championship to fall back on. That fact is ENORMOUS.

So yes..had Seattle lost the way Atlanta did? It would have been much worse than 49. As Atlanta has never won

I know it's been discussed but the pain of 49 is not even in the same ballpark as the pain of 40 and I can't understand why most people don't agree with me. Most don't and that's okay, but remember...

When the atrocity that was a super bowl 40 occurred? Seattle was winless.

Super bowl 49? We always had 48 to fall back on no matter the outcome

Jayburd14

Reaction score
quadsas":16qrg5ck said:
If you were watching Falcons choke you knew that when they got to field goal range and got sacked and penalised out of it the game was over, even though they were up by like 14 at that point. But you knew Patriots were going to win it. Takes all the stakes out of it.

49 was the best Superbowl of all time, so obvious that takes the cake
At that point in the game when the Falcons punted, I knew the Patriots were going to win the game. In fact I laid down a 20 dollar bill and said the Patriots were going to win and nobody took my bet.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Msfann":1qx993g2 said:
seahawksny":1qx993g2 said:
28-3. Slow dagger.
49? Bullet to head.

This! I don't care much about 49, we almost won it and we did win it the year before. I put it out of my mind. But XL crushed me and still bothers me.
I have made peace with 49 because it was decided by the players. We win 40 if it was officiated like 49

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Msfann":1e7ab8rv said:
seahawksny":1e7ab8rv said:
28-3. Slow dagger.
49? Bullet to head.

Pretty much where I'm at..XL was a steered shit show.
49 losing our top defensive players in game and our other
top D guys playing hurt allowed NE to creep back in.
That last play is what it is..That whole left side was open to
the EZ ..A rollout left would have sealed it but it just didn't
happen.
We still went back to back years,not many teams ever do it.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Matt Ryan hasn’t been the same since the Falcons 28-3 debacle. Not only did they lose, but it ruined their franchise QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xray

Reaction score
Jayburd14":8kmn1ijb said:
Msfann":8kmn1ijb said:
seahawksny":8kmn1ijb said:
28-3. Slow dagger.
49? Bullet to head.

I have made peace with 49 because it was decided by the players. We win 40 if it was officiated like 49
49 was not decided by the players ; it was decided by the worse play call in SB history .

seahawksny

Reaction score
xray":22kpod17 said:
Jayburd14":22kpod17 said:
Msfann":22kpod17 said:
seahawksny":22kpod17 said:
28-3. Slow dagger.
49? Bullet to head.

49 was not decided by the players ; it was decided by the worse play call in SB history .

For another thread, but had there been a catch instead of INT, many would be saying it was greatest call ever.
always 20/20 hindshight

Latest posts