Who’s ready to man up and apologize...

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Not Norton but one guy I need to "apologize" to that I called out earlier this year was Diggs saying I hadn't seen him make any plays this year. Considering he made the pro bowl I was wrong.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
+healthy Jamal Adams
+Carlos Dunlap
+DJ Reed
+healthy Ugo Amadi
+emergence of Alton
+emergence of Brooks
+emergence of Collier
+stout/consistent Reed/Ford up the middle
+leadership
+confidence
+synergy

-Tre Flowers
-Quinton Dunbar

The improvement essentially takes care of itself with all of the above ingredients. We didn't have the horses, we didn't have any confidence, we had zero synergy together- we were a hot mess.

The results of some great coaching are finally manifesting and the defense is finally changing the direction of their overall trajectory- they are finally better than they were before instead of continuing a 5 1/2-yr freefall. That's what I'm happiest about- and with a young, hungry core and stud veteran leadership.

I applaud KNJ for keeping everyone on board, coordinating the unit, managing his team of coaches and analysts to continue to trust the process and focus on the game ahead and on improving- especially technically. When we finally found the right personnel to fit the desired scheme....well it all just fell into place.

I was hard on the entire unit as well. I hated this defense just two months ago. It was disgusting to watch. This has been one of the biggest in-season turnarounds I remember seeing. The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit, to be sure. Let's hope the trajectory continues and the defense continues to provide us opportunities to compete with the very best teams out there.

TypeSly

Reaction score
LTH":fhp3oz64 said:
Not only does KN JR deserve an apology but so does Pete Carroll... This has been a season full of diversity and the Hawks overcame it... still have to perform in the playoffs but if you guys are men you will stand up now

LTH

LTH, I'll stand up and apologize to you (and Welshers even) for thinking that your optimism was a little over-the-top, when you were saying that our defence would be playing like one of the best defences in the league come playoff time. You called it, and I'm more than happy that this came true.

So.. here I am, manning up with a big ol' plate of crow in front of me, and I'm ready to chow down :oops: .
Cheers, my brothers :irishdrinkers:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":36th4clg said:
. This has been one of the biggest in-season turnarounds I remember seeing. The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit, to be sure. Let's hope the trajectory continues and the defense continues to provide us opportunities to compete with the very best teams out there.

I believe that this is the first time in Pete's tenure that the Hawks Defense has made such an "about face" mid-season. It seems to me that it is primarily due to the addition of Jamal Adams and Carlos Dunlap II. Both of these men have an "infectious attitude" that has changed the locker room atmosphere..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I still want Dan Quinn back, but I've always said coaches and coordinators get too much credit when we win, and too much criticism when we lose.

Norton was/is no different. When he has good players to coach who are healthy? Hey, look how great he is, and when he has bad and/or injured players, he gets the brunt of the blame.

But you want the REAL reason this defense is playing well?

- DJ Reed > Dunbar and Flowers
- Healthy Adams
- Carlos Dunbar
- Emergence of Brooks
- Healthy Griffin
- Healthy Mayowa

Apologize all you want to Norton, he's around reason #5 or #6 when it comes time hand out blame, and he's around #5 or #6 when it's time to hand out praise. This is Pete's defense, and it'll fail or prosper by who's wearing the uniforms on the field, not so much who's the coordinator.

evergreen

Reaction score
It's simple addition through subtraction. Losing Dunbar and Flowers and getting Reed, Adams, Dunbar, & Neal sure have helped.

Sea84hawks

Reaction score
I am pretty sure KNJ is still trash! Seahawks defense playing better not because of KNJ or his scheme. He is still trash and we should look for an upgrade at DC for next year.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
LTH":31vq2bx1 said:
Not only does KN JR deserve an apology but so does Pete Carroll... This has been a season full of diversity and the Hawks overcame it... still have to perform in the playoffs but if you guys are men you will stand up now

LTH

Yep... a season full of diversity, hard to overcome that. :D

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sea84hawks":2r7hzisn said:
I am pretty sure KNJ is still trash! Seahawks defense playing better not because of KNJ or his scheme. He is still trash and we should look for an upgrade at DC for next year.

Prove that KNJ was the main problem of our failing defense (or the main reason for it's current success). Your name-calling is just empty adjectives until you give some cogent and actual/true reasons.

Is it possible for Coordinators to improve, grow, and learn? Could he be getting better under PC's tutelage? Why not allow that as one possibility?

renofox

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":348kk07w said:
Is it possible for Coordinators to improve, grow, and learn? Could he be getting better under PC's tutelage? Why not allow that as one possibility?

This is where I'm at. Wouldn't it be great if we had a coach under contract who had developed and grown into his role and becomes a top DC in the NFL?

Who could ask for more?

Anybody here who thinks they "know" the reality is either an undercover Seahawk insider, or really doesn't "know" shit.

LTH

Reaction score
Sea84hawks":5z1t89v7 said:

Even Mike Holmgren has said several times that the D's woes are not on KNJ... it was because the players had no continuity and they were learning to play together... If you don't believe a hall of fame coach then who are you going to believe...

I think KNJ has done a good job with this D can he be better? sure... but what really do you expect from a guy? he has pulled this D together going from the worst D to one of the best in the NFL... what more would you ask from a coach? working through adversity is a key factor in winning championships... The Hawks and Norton have done that... can't ask for much more than what they are giving at this point...

LTH

olyfan63

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1a9xf54p said:
+healthy Jamal Adams
+Carlos Dunlap
+DJ Reed
+healthy Ugo Amadi
+emergence of Alton
+emergence of Brooks
+emergence of Collier
+leadership
+confidence
+synergy

-Tre Flowers
-Quinton Dunbar

The improvement essentially takes care of itself with all of the above ingredients. We didn't have the horses, we didn't have any confidence, we had zero synergy together- we were a hot mess.

The results of some great coaching are finally manifesting and the defense is finally changing the direction of their overall trajectory- they are finally better than they were before instead of continuing a 5 1/2-yr freefall. That's what I'm happiest about- and with a young, hungry core and stud veteran leadership.

I applaud KNJ for keeping everyone on board, coordinating the unit, managing his team of coaches and analysts to continue to trust the process and focus on the game ahead and on improving- especially technically. When we finally found the right personnel to fit the desired scheme....well it all just fell into place.

I was hard on the entire unit as well. I hated this defense just two months ago. It was disgusting to watch. This has been one of the biggest in-season turnarounds I remember seeing. The coaching staff deserves a ton of credit, to be sure. Let's hope the trajectory continues and the defense continues to provide us opportunities to compete with the very best teams out there.
Others mentioned by others include:
+ Healthy Mayowa
+ Healthy Quill Griffin

It looks like the D, in addition to personnel improvements, is being called with more variety and better disguised. Seems like Pete's attitude had been to out-execute, rather than use much deception. I've noticed more times the Hawks D has done things like show LB blitzes, only to back out at the snap and have LBs drop in zone.

Maybe someone else other than KNJ is doing the game planning and helping with game-time calls. Kam on staff as consultant? Or maybe KNJ is simply growing into it, or getting some mentoring and showing the results. I always thought of KNJ as the ass-kicker in chief, sort of the bad cop to Pete's good cop. Maybe KNJ is becoming a better communicator, teaching as much as ass-kicking. Maybe KNJ is getting better at secondary play and coverage topics.

My best guess? Pete is spending more energy and attention mentoring KNJ in the "Carroll Defense", and/or has arranged consultants and tutors to work with KNJ. Pete would never reveal that type of stuff in-season; if we ever found out, it would be years down the road, and probably from KNJ, not Pete. I also suspect Carroll may have adjusted some of his defensive philosophies to adjust for rule changes and such, and given KNJ more latitude.

Whatever it is, it's sure a lot more fun to watch!

LTH

Reaction score
olyfan63":oc2ahjzf said:
LoneHawkFan":oc2ahjzf said:
+healthy Jamal Adams
+Carlos Dunlap
+DJ Reed
+healthy Ugo Amadi
+emergence of Alton
+emergence of Brooks
+emergence of Collier
+leadership
+confidence
+synergy

-Tre Flowers
-Quinton Dunbar

+ Healthy Mayowa
+ Healthy Quill Griffin

It looks like the D, in addition to personnel improvements, is being called with more variety and better disguised. Seems like Pete's attitude had been to out-execute, rather than use much deception. I've noticed more times the Hawks D has done things like show LB blitzes, only to back out at the snap and have LBs drop in zone.

Maybe someone else other than KNJ is doing the game planning and helping with game-time calls. Kam on staff as consultant? Or maybe KNJ is simply growing into it, or getting some mentoring and showing the results. I always thought of KNJ as the ass-kicker in chief, sort of the bad cop to Pete's good cop. Maybe KNJ is becoming a better communicator, teaching as much as ass-kicking. Maybe KNJ is getting better at secondary play and coverage topics.

My best guess? Pete is spending more energy and attention mentoring KNJ in the "Carroll Defense", and/or has arranged consultants and tutors to work with KNJ. Pete would never reveal that type of stuff in-season; if we ever found out, it would be years down the road, and probably from KNJ, not Pete. I also suspect Carroll may have adjusted some of his defensive philosophies to adjust for rule changes and such, and given KNJ more latitude.

But why wouldn't he coach his coaches? Coaches are not born great they have to work at it just like the players do... the fact that pete works with his coaches is not a negative... you think Bill walsh didn't work with Holmgren? Bill Walsh worked with the flippin waterboy... and it wasn't always about talent it was about attitude and willingness to learn...I think a bunch of people miss this concept...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wasn't happy w/the Defense like everyone else. But this turnaround has been incredible.
In fact, in the 3 game winning streak, they are averaging giving up 9 points a game.
I'm more curious if those who blast the defense, even when they are playing well, can man up and actually acknowledge it.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
While the defense has played solid these last 6 games, they haven't exactly faced a murderer's row of QB's, so I'm not fully on the KNJ apology bandwagon.

I certainly think the accountability meeting and the health situation played a big role in the turnaround as well.

I'd like to see us more routinely get off the field in 3rd and long situations. Give me a DC that can do that and I'm in heaven. I don't think that should be such a big request.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You can only play who they put in front of you. The league is full of teams who don't exactly have a tough stretch of games in front of them. They are getting better and better by the week, and that's all we can ask for.
I'm as shocked as anyone at the turnaround.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
LTH":e2amnpq7 said:
olyfan63":e2amnpq7 said:
LoneHawkFan":e2amnpq7 said:
+healthy Jamal Adams
+Carlos Dunlap
+DJ Reed
+healthy Ugo Amadi
+emergence of Alton
+emergence of Brooks
+emergence of Collier
+leadership
+confidence
+synergy

-Tre Flowers
-Quinton Dunbar

+ Healthy Mayowa
+ Healthy Quill Griffin

But why wouldn't he coach his coaches? Coaches are not born great they have to work at it just like the players do... the fact that pete works with his coaches is not a negative... you think Bill walsh didn't work with Holmgren? Bill Walsh worked with the flippin waterboy... and it wasn't always about talent it was about attitude and willingness to learn...I think a bunch of people miss this concept...

LTH
I don't think they have ever played the game.