Why did we pass on Carter?

m0ng0

Reaction score
Well because they were seriously considering AR and when the colts picked him, they pivoted to Carter and actually wrote his name on the card, but when Pete and John got to the podium Pete started babbling about the weather and John was asking for a spoon to stir his coffee and the rest is history. BUT truly they really wanted AR and ended up with a spoon who could not wear the Barry Bonds sized hat that was intended for Carter.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I think they pass on him at 20 too if he fell. While I was a 100% no at 5 Philly might actually be the perfect place for Carter because of so many of his ex-teammates around him and they are in a much better spot roster wise to take a chance on Carter. Wouldn't shock me if he turns into a monster there. I just don't think it wouldn've happened in Seattle.
His ex teammates that he had at Georgia, where his troubles were happening?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Just remember Seahawks passed on Carter once while the Bears (1, 9), Texans (2,3) and Cardinals (3,6) passed him twice. Lions said no thanks and were likely to take Witherspoon at 6 before trading down. Raiders chose a guy with medical concerns and Atlanta took an RB.

Carter may have been talented and dominant at the collegiate level but a lot of the draft is weighing out the risks of whether that player has enough physically and mentally to translate his game to the NFL, take the opportunity seriously, and be a professional both on and off the field.

Carter is a risk you take at 20 not at 5.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I am happy that we passed on Jalen Carter...The Seahawks have had an awesome draft...BUT!!!
Before the draft I was "all in" on drafting for the Defensive Line. But now, we have "ditched" our best interior defensive linemen in Poona and Al Woods.
I hope we are looking for some Free Agent help on the Defensive Line!

Smellyman

Reaction score
I am happy that we passed on Jalen Carter...The Seahawks have had an awesome draft...BUT!!!
Before the draft I was "all in" on drafting for the Defensive Line. But now, we have "ditched" our best interior defensive linemen in Poona and Al Woods.
I hope we are looking for some Free Agent help on the Defensive Line!
The 'best' in Poona and Woods were really bad and dictched because of that. Jones and Reed are already huge improvements over them.

Young, Morris and Cooper probably better too

D

DomeHawk

With 50%+ 1st rounders already being busts why take on addl risk? The 1st rd flops can really set your program back. Sustainability has become a very trendy word but it applies to football too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Believing the like of BWags and Avril and PC could cure what ails him I probably would have taken the risk with Carter.
BUT..."Carroll and Schneider had talked to him in person three times in six weeks: at the combine, at his pro day and in Seattle on a pre-draft top-30 visit." I had no part in any of that, so I'm good with their decision.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawks can try to pick him up on his redemption comeback
Let's see... Dion Jordan, Jadaveon Clowney, what other high draft pick "redemption comebacks" has Pete undertaken?

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
He didn't workout at the combine.

He lied to teams at the combine, at the very least lying by omission about the fatal accident and his part in that situation. Then he left the combine suddenly early to deal with the arrest warrant which only surfaced and his misconduct was revealed after the combine was mostly over for his position group.

He bombed in his workout at his Pro Day and was overweight and out of shape.

He had difficulties staying in shape as reported by his team.

His coaches had little good to say about his attitude to practicing and conditioning. I'm sure there was more here as well as it was reported he needed to be babysat to keep him focused on football.

He displayed self entitlement issues with his attitude to team visits, albeit through his agent, and perhaps in person.

His behaviour betrayed an immaturity that was concerning about what the future for him might bring up.

There is little doubt he was talented but at what cost?
Add to this, he dissapeared against Ohio State in the playoffs...not due to double teams, but lack of effort.

You never know how a pick will turn out, but he shows way too many inconsistencies to take when elite talent is still on the board.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I may not like Drew Rosenhaus, but the guy is a damn good agent and I guarantee that the Eagles told him that if Carter lasts until ten, they will choose him. Why wouldn't he tell people that his client won't visit anyone beyond that? It is so weird that people believe that Carter made this decision on his own. He isn't some schmuck that represents himself and costs himself leverage and connections.
I agree. The dude seems like a slimy dude.

He’s the agent equivalent of a hated defense attorney.

I mean he is just doing his job to work on his clients behalf. But at the same time, he’s probably a decent agent.

But, it is what it is.

I’m thrilled Seattle got Spoon and Njigba!

Wouldn’t want it any other way

Let’s gooooo!!!!!

balakoth

Reaction score
We took a BIG risk not drafting him, he could change our DL's fortune.
We would have taken a BIGGER risk by drafting hm, he could be the second coming of Jamarcus Russell.
Carter? Seriously? LOL

Latest posts