Why Do I Give A Crap So Much About Russ Winning MVP?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This year has been a challenge for me to try to quantify my feelings for why I give so much of a crap about Russell Wilson winning MVP as much as I do. Maybe it's because I feel he has been that perpetual underdog, being overlooked his entire career while breaking NFL records, all because...Dare I say it? His height.

Maybe it's because he has quite honestly done enough in multiple years to earn it, yet is denied. Even in all of the years he was called "a magician", "game changer", "winner", I could go on and on and on...Yet, like Pete and John, the highest personal achievement award given has eluded them all for no apparent reason.

So this year, especially the first two months of the season, Russell looked like he was finally on his way to the MVP. His stats proved it. His play cemented it. Nobody could really argue that this looked like Russ' year. Finally.

Then Lamar happened.

With each passing week, Lamar was the relative "New Kid On The Block" even though it was his second year in the league. His ankle-breaking jukes, video game speed seemed to enthrall the planet, like an exotic super car that may never be practical for every day use, but hot damn does it look good and boy is it fast.

I found myself embarrassingly hoping Lamar would have a slew of bad games, or even worse, hoping he was taken out of a game or two or three from an unfortunate incident. Nothing horrible, maybe some bad tacos or something. All so Russell would be the front runner again.

Then I saw some stats this past week, showing Russ' numbers over the past month. They were pedestrian to be kind. Passer rating under 100 for the first time all year. Yards...Well, his yards rarely breach 275 but still. Some picks...He's had two picks returned for TDs. Meanwhile, Video Game Boy continues to not only rack up impressive rushing yards, but can actually throw now, and 4-5 TDs a game seems to be the norm.

So I realized after this last game on Thursday night that Lamar deserves the MVP. For no other reason than the simple fact is that he is playing better than Russell Wilson right now. And that is why I am so butt hurt. I EXPECT Russell Friggin' Wilson to be playing OUTSTANDING football, especially in December, aka the 4th Quarter of the season when Pete preaches it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Well kiddies, it's finish time. And short of Lamar not being able to play the final 3 weeks and Russ averages 6 TDs and no picks per game over the final 3 weeks, the MVP is Lamar's. And I have come to terms with that. But what I am struggling with is why is Russ regressing? What has changed in the past month?

And why do I give a crap about a stupid award that means nothing other than to say you were MVP for said year??

If we win the Super Bowl this year, and Russell isn't MVP of the year. Who will give a rip?

I can say with a straight face, in that scenerio, not even I.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Let it keep feeding the grind, even though he doesn’t need it. He’s been epitome of MVP for our team because we dont even sniff the playoffs without him on several years. Hence 2017 with patchwork roster scored 37/38 team TDs, that most valuable by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray

Reaction score
He's had other years where he should of got it ; just as Carroll might have gotten coach of the year . I think if both were on a more popular team ; that both would of gotten the awards by now .

cymatica

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the offense Pete wants probably hampers Wilson's ability and chance for mvp. Abandoning the short to intermediate passing game when it works, refusing to change gameplans for different opponents, and being too conservative while making decisions like he has a top defense. It took Wilson to play lights out to overcome some of that this year, but things are certainly not made easy for him kind of like they are for Jackson. Seriously, if Jackson played for Seattle, Pete would preach to play safe and don't take chances, they wouldn't go for it on 4th even though it works, and the same defense wouldn't be playing aggressive.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Football is hard. There are great wins, there are ugly wins. There’s bad weather games. We’re in the toughest division in football while the Ravens are in the cupcake AFC North.

Our obstacles are much tougher. But yea, Lamar deserves it. I got annoyed when people were saying it was “close” before week 11, but such is bias. I also have a soft spot for Lamar because in many ways, he was also an underdog. I’ve spent so many years watching good players get dismissed in the NFL because old hat GMs and Coaches stuck to their “traditional” ways. It’s a shame really, kudos to the Ravens staff for going all in.

I’ve been told by some super dismissive folks on here that there’s no media bias towards our team. And to take off our tin foil hats. But it is unthinkable that neither John Schneider or Pete Carroll has ever gotten a Coach of the Year or GM of the year. I’ll admit I also really wanted it for Russ because I’ve seen him get overlooked while Luck, Cam, and every other media hyped QB has gotten more respect and attention over the years.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
How many weeks has Hunt been filling in for Britt....5 could there be a correlation here. Was Britt really that important. Also his #1 WR has not been himself for the last 3 weeks.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
How many weeks has Hunt been filling in for Britt....5 could there be a correlation here. Was Britt really that important. Also his #1 WR has not been himself for the last 3 weeks.

chrispy

Reaction score
RW still can be relevant in that discussion, but not the way he's played recently. As Aros said, he's regressed late in this season which is not his norm, nor the norm of the team. If this team takes care of business and barely wins out but RW doesn't play better, it'll be the epitomy of "limping into the playoffs." If RW can play like the first 1/2 of the season the team could make a run. Obviously, it doesn't completely depend on him and he can't do it alone. But this team can't beat good teams without good/great play from him. I'd suggest that, if RW were to show up and play like early-season RW, there would be a reignition of enthusiasm as an MVP candidate. Specifically, if the Seahawks can put together a more impressive win v the 49rs than the Ravens and RW shows some magic, there can be a discussion to follow.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lamar is just better and has not dropped off like Wilson has. The Ravens are now the team to beat. Guess we will see if Lamar has a bad game in in him...after all he is just human...

kobebryant

Reaction score
xray":2ooit7y7 said:
He's had other years where he should of got it ; just as Carroll might have gotten coach of the year . I think if both were on a more popular team ; that both would of gotten the awards by now .

Which other years do you think Russ should have been MVP?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The sad part for Lamar is, much like other media hyped QBs there will be injuries on the O-line and defense. Perhaps not this year but in coming years. And the criticism of him will be way over the top.

People will call 2019 a flash in the pan. And that won’t be the case at all, but that’s what happens football isn’t analyzed fairly. Russ has experienced so many injuries on offense and would never get the excuses I’m hearing even Carson Wentz getting right now

ivotuk

Reaction score
Im with Jim Moore. Let Lamar have the MVP, that only means that Russell 'Freakin' Wilson wins the SuperB Owl.

Because. MVPs don't win it all. Not according to hiss tore ree.