Why Is Geno Standing Around In The Pocket?

evergreen

Reaction score
Remember when Me3 ran? It totally loosened up the D. Run Geno!

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I think Geno is a physically gifted QB that can make good throws, but I don't think he's particularly smart.

To be clear he's not dumb. I'm not talking about book smarts. This has been Geno's thing since he came into the league, and that his body and arm is built to be a QB and can make the throws you ask of it, but when it comes to that other intangible for a QB, the creativity on the fly or thinking outside the box when in the pocket I think he severely lacks that and is sooner to trust in his arm or his first read then do anything else.

flv2

Reaction score
I think Geno is a physically gifted QB that can make good throws, but I don't think he's particularly smart.

To be clear he's not dumb. I'm not talking about book smarts. This has been Geno's thing since he came into the league, and that his body and arm is built to be a QB and can make the throws you ask of it, but when it comes to that other intangible for a QB, the creativity on the fly or thinking outside the box when in the pocket I think he severely lacks that and is sooner to trust in his arm or his first read then do anything else.
A football smart QB would have clocked the ball against the Rams instead of calling a run. An outside view of the Seahawks roster building is they prefer superior football physiques to superior football smarts. It might not be the reality, but it is the perception.

Rosco

Reaction score
KJ Wright:

“He has the ball in his hands, he’s the decision-maker and he’s not executing. He’s not executing at a high level. He’s not the same guy we saw last year. He’s looking hesitant, he’s looking confused.”

What gives? He hikes the ball and stands back there like he has all day to survey the field.

Um, ya don't.

Quarterback Geno Smith’s numbers have taken a dip during this recent stretch, and for the season in general. After leading the NFL in completion percentage and tossing 30 touchdowns to 11 interceptions, Smith has 12 touchdowns to eight interceptions through 11 games this year.

I know the Anti-Geno crowd is going to use this to say "Told ya so!" but that's too elementary. There's more to the story here. Why isn't Geno trusting his initial reads? Or the first 15 scripted plays he still looks lost.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, including the coaches or the players seem to have an answer. Do you?
One read dude. If his first read isn’t there he’s ****** cause he can’t process what he is seeing fast enough.

Rosco

Reaction score

Jeff George syndrome. Million dollar arm with a 10 cent head