Why is our defense so horrific?

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Aren't we forgetting the obvious (although I know the defense has not been reliably stellar for a while, even IN Seattle)... but on average, surely we're missing Crowd 12, when on defense, in an empty CLink?

And... let's just celebrate being 5-0!

ENJOY OURSELVES!!! (to mimic Roger Waters)...

GO SEAHAWKS!!! I'm NOT a happy-go-lucky person at all... but sometimes, let's just be positive!!!

gowazzu02

Reaction score
There are a few things that come to mind:

-Very limited preseason to gel

-Major injuries on that side of the ball

-We pay out QB the most money in the league (some recent re-ups may have passed him, but either way top 2 or 3 money) When you pay that much to one position (totally warranted btw) you have to skimp elsewhere, So when you add the less money, to the fact your big time players are hurt, you get bad results.

-Defenses all over the league are getting torched - it's what the NFL is designed to produce.

-Our offense while extremely explosive and letting russ cook. Still has a shockingly high number of punts, ALSO when we do score, our offense is so explosive it's usually very quickly, big strike type plays. So the Defense is on the field a lot.

-Defense isn't great at pressuring the qb, and plays a lot of soft zone, so we give up a ton of third down conversions

-Bend but not break philosophy

-Teams are generally playing from behind so they need to get tempo and air it out.

----Our Defense HAS stepped up in 3 key situations that directly lead to wins, end of NE, Dal, and Min game

----We are forcing turnovers at a high rate

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":2jrji00c said:
Sgt. Largent":2jrji00c said:
- no pass rush
- mediocre secondary
- no home crowd to help minimize other team's QB effectiveness and playcalling
- thin depth
- injuries
- refs aren't calling as much holding on O-linemen

That about explains it.

"mediocre secondary"

What's crazy about this is on paper we should have a top 5 secondary. But in weeks 1 and 2 when they were all on the field they were terrible. I still think its coaching and scheme. Nothing will change until a move is made at DC or Pete starts holding his coaches accountable. Unfortunately neither is going to happen.

You're right, but secondary's more than probably any other position group save for maybe O-line needs time to gel and get their fits, schemes and communication down.

Hasn't happened yet with both Adams and Dunbar missing games, and missing just about all of OTA's and training camp to work on it.

Not just us btw, it's happening all over the league. Very few teams are playing good defense.

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The saving grace is the scoring defense is still middle of the road. Not the worst in the league at all.

It does not change the fact that with one of the most explosive offenses in years, and in the league - we are still coming down to the last possession regularly.

And even then, only after the defense has already forced a turnover or several throughout the game.

Which leads to the issues:

1 - Eventually we won't have enough time to come back after surrendering the lead near the end.

2 - Likely against better teams, the opportunities for turnovers will be less. We will not get as many turnovers.

Fade

Reaction score
TreeRon":1y4uk27x said:
If Zimmer is fired, I'd prefer we hire him over Quinn. That is if we release or re-assign Norton.

Zimmer would be amazing. Where do I sign?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1a0nrxd4 said:
The saving grace is the scoring defense is still middle of the road. Not the worst in the league at all.

It does not change the fact that with one of the most explosive offenses in years, and in the league - we are still coming down to the last possession regularly.

And even then, only after the defense has already forced a turnover or several throughout the game.

1 - Eventually we won't have enough time to come back after surrendering the lead near the end.

2 - Likely against better teams, the opportunities for turnovers will be less. We will not get as many turnovers.

Agreed 16 and 0 is unlikely.....

LTH

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2ku9ds19 said:
TwistedHusky":2ku9ds19 said:

Agreed 16 and 0 is unlikely.....

Of course it's unlikely but if any team can make it happen it will be a Carroll team that believes it's possible and that would include this team...

LTH

TraderGary

Reaction score
RCATES":1gghe327 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gghe327 said:
- no pass rush
- mediocre secondary
- no home crowd to help minimize other team's QB effectiveness and playcalling
- thin depth
- injuries
- refs aren't calling as much holding on O-linemen

That about explains it.

"mediocre secondary"

What's crazy about this is on paper we should have a top 5 secondary. But in weeks 1 and 2 when they were all on the field they were terrible. I still think its coaching and scheme. Nothing will change until a move is made at DC or Pete starts holding his coaches accountable. Unfortunately neither is going to happen.
:ditto:

RW92

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":zzvcyaml said:
My opinion of Norton as a DC isn't great. But as below average as I believe him to be, he isn't and shouldn't be HISTORICALLY awful. Still, it was reported we have given up more yards this many games than any team in history since the 1950s Colts.

That is pretty bad.

So what is going on?

A lot of teams with explosive offenses have defenses that are porous. Issues with rest, urgency, and other issues factor in but generally when you score a lot of points fast, your team gives up more. We have the most explosive offense in the NFL, so maybe that is it.

Also, when you score quickly, you give the ball back to the other team. That results in more overall opposing drives. Is there a stat for # of overall drives we have faced vs the NFL average?

Worst against the pass by far. We haven't faced too many opportunities in the RZ and have some high profile stops.

Exceptionally bad at allowing 1st down conversions on 1st downs.

But egregiously bad, (not the worst but near worst) in allowing conversions on 3rd downs.

And against the pass, we are horrific. Sports media is having a field day mocking our defense but they are right. One commentator said:

"If you are a QB playing the Seahawks and you pass for 350 yds against them, you had a bad game."

Really odd that pass defense would be historically bad with all the additions in the secondary. Understand we don't have a great pass rush but it isn't historically bad either. We are not even the worst in sacks. Everything points to how we are using our secondary instead of problems with the pieces.

We are middle of the road in terms of scoring but that might be due to the # of turnovers we have forced so far. Not sure how much of that is sustainable as we start to play better teams and better QBs. It certainly will not be near the opportunity to offset in the playoffs.

It is weird that a defensive-minded coach, having a half-decade of one of the best defenses ever in NFL history - is now fielding what is clearly the worst defense the Seahawks have ever put on the field. It might be one of the worst in the history of the NFL, especially if our TO forced pace slows.

????

Bottom line is you have to have talent. I don't care how great the coach is, if you don't have guys who have the ability to get after the quarterback, or corners who have the speed to close and stay with their receives bad things are going to happen. The defense can't get off the field on 3rd down, nor can the flip the field with a strip sack or interception. Russ will have to score 30 a game or more as they approach the playoffs. To beat the Saints, 49er's and especially the Buc's, they will have to put pressure on the QB or there will be sadness again in the land of the Hawks. Just the facts, and no fiction. If I'm wrong I'll own up to it. But I don't think so. Hope Gordon is reinstated before seasons end.
If we can't stop them then we'll have to out score them. Antonio Brown would have helped, but Tampa saw our plans and didn't want to face the Hawks with AB in the playoffs. Just my spin. Hope for a win tonight against the Cardinals.

(The funny part is that originally I was upset they let Norton go and promoted Kris Richard to DC instead. It felt that Norton would continue the energy and ability of the LOB. Wow, was I wrong)

Fade

Reaction score
Back 2 Back blown coverage by pro-bowl veterans. Ken Norton & Pete need to get their guys on the same page.

Thank god for the offense.

Chapow

Reaction score
RCATES":1jyyiurq said:
Different week same result. D can’t stop anybody.

Pretty much.

On the other hand, the Cards D is looking significantly worse so far. Lol.

getnasty

Reaction score
Fade":3ofr7xxg said:
Back 2 Back blown coverage by pro-bowl veterans. Ken Norton & Pete need to get their guys on the same page.

Thank god for the offense.

Part of the reason the defense isn't as good is the offense. It's a track meet out there which is the oppisite of what were used too. Make no mistake the defense has struggled but when the offense scores so fast as teams are always playing from behind the defense is gonna look really bad.

getnasty

Reaction score
I actually think the defense hasn't played to bad tonight.

Chapow

Reaction score
Cards D gave up 377 yards and 27 points in the first half.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I have zero faith Pete will do any changes to the staff unless we lose the remaining games. Who am I kidding. Our defense can be the laughing stock of the league and Pete won’t change a thing. Our D sucks so bad. It’s really pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TypeSly

Reaction score
getnasty":1lwt6qoc said:
I actually think the defense hasn't played to bad tonight.

I guess this is our new standard. Arizona's biggest offensive output of their season. :x

ducks41468

Reaction score
There seem to be zero qualms throwing away the season with possibly the worst defense in history. Theyll finish 11-5 and lose in the 2nd round again.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The front 4 is hot trash and the worst in the nfl. Collier is horriawful and is a draft bust big time. Flowers...well thats just too easy.