Why should we dislike the 49ers?

60niners

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1xcedc9v said:
Oh thats rich I have two names for you, Ronnie Lott and Bill Romanowski. I'll bet they really regret their years of pounding the hell out of the opposition and wish they could go back in time and shower the players they tormented with hugs and kisses.

Here's a phrase for you, "same old sorry ass Rams!" A-1 class. Not cocky at all.

No we aren't worried about the near 20 years of futility the 49ers had between 1995 and 2010. Theres no way to go back and reproduce the 2 decades of non salary cap and non free agency, 4 star hotels, private chefs and first class air travel of the glory days of SF, might as well be jealous of the New York Yankees.

I'm tickled to death you think your team cares so much about injuries. I'm sure you wish that Matt Ryan didn't get hurt and had a snowballs chance of winning that NFC Championship, lol. I'll have to go back and see all the mea culpa's on the sideline while the screen showed Matt Ryan in pain on his sideline, not to mention a subdued post game celebration.
If you want to trash talk at least get your facts right. "Near 20 years of futility" is a bit of a stretch.... the Niners rode a streak of at least 10 wins from 1983 to 1998 (1998 occurs after 1995 ;) ). They were in the 1997 NFCCG. And were a playoff team more or less until 2002. So really.... Only 7 or so years of futility. But hey, nobody's perfect :)

Lady Talon

Reaction score
quite a few teams, even some horrid ones have 10 win seasons, there's only one measure of success in the NFL. There's no seconds, thirds, etc etc. At least that's what those that push 5 SB rings preach. Hell, no matter the record Young was considered a flop compared to Montana until he did what?

60niners

Reaction score
Well I don't know that I'd consider Young a flop. He's one of the most accurate passers in history (he was THE most accurate passer but might have been passed by Rodgers). I think it's somewhat stupid to say that only rings = success. That's only convenient to the teams that have them. Would you not consider the Seahawks last season successful when compared to 2011??

There are teams out there that haven't even sniffed a SB, let alone the majority of teams that have not won one yet. Had the 49ers never won any rings, I'd still be a fan and still would have considered some seasons successful; I guess it's just a convenient arguing point when you have one.

Edited to add that it's not quite the majority, but almost half of all NFL teams have never won a ring. Four teams have never even seen the dance.

Basis4day

Reaction score
60niners":3eh6qmaz said:
Well I don't know that I'd consider Young a flop. He's one of the most accurate passers in history (he was THE most accurate passer but might have been passed by Rodgers). I think it's somewhat stupid to say that only rings = success. That's only convenient to the teams that have them. Would you not consider the Seahawks last season successful when compared to 2011??

There are teams out there that haven't even sniffed a SB, let alone the majority of teams that have not won one yet. Had the 49ers never won any rings, I'd still be a fan and still would have considered some seasons successful; I guess it's just a convenient arguing point when you have one.

Edited to add that it's not quite the majority, but almost half of all NFL teams have never won a ring. Four teams have never even seen the dance.

I'm around enough Niner fans to know that they didn't accept Young until he won a Superbowl. Montana left some VERY large shoes and reputation to fill.

His legacy would have been closer to a Dan Marino had he not won it. Many said the Same thing about Peyton Manning.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
60niners":16dwxr53 said:
the Niners rode a streak of at least 10 wins from 1983 to 1998 (1998 occurs after 1995 ;) ). They were in the 1997 NFCCG.

Every storied NFL dynasty should be so lucky to have the perennially crappy New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Rams and Atlanta Falcons in their division to nearly guarantee an easy 6 wins every season...

Basis4day

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":r0feyr0f said:
60niners":r0feyr0f said:
the Niners rode a streak of at least 10 wins from 1983 to 1998 (1998 occurs after 1995 ;) ). They were in the 1997 NFCCG.

Every storied NFL dynasty should be so lucky to have the perennially crappy New Orleans Saints, Los Angeles Rams and Atlanta Falcons in their division to nearly guarantee an easy 6 wins every season...

Which is why i put more stock in how many rings they have since we joined the NFC West.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Young himself considered Montana's shadow/curse over him as a blackmark on his career, until he won a superbowl. Perhaps it was the fan's and media's expectations of him but the Bowl certainly gave him more then just the satisfaction of being on top. To this day, he's one of the most bitter personalities ESPN hired to do their coverage. Maybe he always was, maybe that experience haunts him still.

What Seattle fans consider successful is definitely geared more out of 37 years of tears and hope that what went right translates next season into our turn to win the bowl. Realistically, the rest of the NFL is dubious of our success and drinking up our optimism until they can laugh at a mediocre season, laugh if the Hawks come up just short, or say they knew we would get a ring all along if the impossible happens like they do every year.

The NFL is a cold league.

Just watch Heath Evans, talk to Trent Dilfer, do they wax poetic on their Seahawk years? They have been pretty brutal with their statements about their former team, while continually spouting the praise of the team they won the Superbowl with.

BBHawks

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":18784trj said:
60niners":18784trj said:

We need to keep our facts straight or people will continue to laugh us off. You're basically repeating an NFL East Coast myth. The Rams went to the playoffs a number of times during the Niners run. In '89, the NFC title game was between the Rams and the Niners. The Saints, during this period, had one of the toughest defenses in the league - they sent their entire LB corps to the pro bowl more than once. Ask Pete Carroll about the reality of the NFC West in the mid-80's to the early 90's. The Niners actually had a worse winning percentage against the NFC West during their great years than they did against the rest of the NFL.

And, what's wrong with giving credit where credit is due. The Niners streak of seasons with 10 or more wins is still the longest in NFL history. To me, honestly acknowledging that the Niners are one of the elite franchises in the NFL makes knocking them off that much more impressive.

BBHawks

Reaction score
I almost hate to break it to you, Lady Talon, because you seem to relish the pain and tears of the last 37 years and wear it on your sleeve like a badge of honor, but our team are the NFL's new cool kids. ESPN has us rated #1 in power rankings, most prognosticators say the Seahawks have had the best off season and most predict that the Hawks will knock the Niners off this year. Yes, it's a cold league, but people also tend to like the new thing and a powerful Seahawk team is definitely a new thing.

Get into it.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
BBHawks":ihajlaxl said:
I almost hate to break it to you, Lady Talon, because you seem to relish the pain and tears of the last 37 years and wear it on your sleeve like a badge of honor, but our team are the NFL's new cool kids. ESPN has us rated #1 in power rankings, most prognosticators say the Seahawks have had the best off season and most predict that the Hawks will knock the Niners off this year. Yes, it's a cold league, but people also tend to like the new thing and a powerful Seahawk team is definitely a new thing.

Get into it.

Very much am into it. You need to understand how to seperate hype from production as well. Not a down of the 2013 season has been played yet, the experts our going to laugh at our draft and lose respect again, injuries will happen somewhere, and free agents have a way of not playing up to expectation, as I'm sure Cleveland, Miami, and to some degree, the Seahawks will find out.

I don't care who the nation is talking about, 99.9% of the time their hyped up teams don't even make their division championships.

BBHawks

Reaction score
Well, when HAVE the Seahawks ever been hyped before? I'm just saying that's a new thing and I'm enjoying it. Yes, it's a little disconcerting because this is the NFL and chaos reigns supreme, but the Seahawks really are a powerful team. Seahawk fans could start to get a little thicker skin and just get used to it. The team is deep. The only injury that might be catastrophic would be Wilson, but you could say that about any NFL team.

But, I hear you. This season will say a lot because being the hyped team also means they've got targets on their backs and everybody gets real up to play them - not just the Niners, who I expect to come angry this year.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Lynch would be catastrophic at this point. We don't have an option besides depending on Turbin and using Harvin more then we'd like as a featured back. Until we find out who that new 3rd down back is, it's still a concern, even if we don't run as much.

For all the problems Harvin can cause an opposing defense, if Rice or Miller miss significant time, it will really hurt our production and allow defenses to key in on Harvin a lot easier.

If Okung goes down, and he has in the past, Jocko or McQuestionmark at LT wouldn't instill confidence in me.

Mebane would definately hurt.

an Earl Thomas injury would literally be a nightmare. I fear this as much as I'd fear a Wilson injury.

Marvin49

Reaction score
HansGruber":12661qcf said:
I dislike 49er fans because I"ve never met a real one in real life.

I spend about 50% of my time in San Francisco on business, and I have literally met ZERO 49er fans in that city. The average Seahawk fan could tell you when Zorn played, when Krieg played, what position they played, they might even know who Blades was if you asked them. They definitely know who Kenny Easley was.

Last time I was in San Francisco, some dork in a Giants hat was giving me grief about my Seahawks jersey. So I told him I thought the Seahawks secondary combined was about twice as good as Ronnie Lott in his prime. Dude gave me a blank stare. I said, you know who Ronnie Lott is, right? Blank stare. That's the average 49er fan. They'll brag about rings, but they don't even know Carroll worked for Walsh, and they definitely don't know who Roger Craig was. Biggest bunch of wanker poser wannabe fans in the entire NFL. Even Redksin fans, who rank slightly below neanderthals on the intelligence scale, even they are familiar with their own SuperBowl teams. 49er fans... next time one brings up their rings, ask them anything about those 80's teams. They'll give you a blank stare. Unless you bring up Jerry Rice or Joe Montana (as if they were the best members of those champion teams). Most ignorant fairweather fans in the NFL.

There are no 49er fans in San Francisco. They all root for the Giants. San Fran is a baseball town. Don't believe me? Go hang out there. See for yourself.

OK...

While I would love to completely destroy your entire argument...I can't. Its because there are ELEMENTS of truth, but you're not seeing a clear picture.

1) If you are in downtown SF then you are correct...you probably won't see many Niner fans. You'll probably see alot of homeless people and business people like yourself who don't give 2 sh*ts about ANY sport. The 49ers tried for years to get a new stadium built in SF and simply couldn't get it done. WAY too many political interests, way too many agendas. SF is just a different kinda town. It always has been. I live 45 min away and I go there like once every 3 YEARS...with the exception of 49er games. SF residents kinda have their noses in the air about the rest of the Bay. Essentially, if you were looking for 49er fans, you were looking in the WRONG PLACE.

2) That said, the 49ers belong to the entire Bay Area. Most of the season ticket holders are from the South Bay (San Jose). San Jose is larger in both size and population and is the heart of the Silicon Valley. There is a reason the new stadium is in Santa Clara (it borders San Jose). There is a reason the A's are trying to move to San Jose (have plans for stadium very close to where the Sharks play but are getting blocked on the move by the Giants). All the money is HERE (I live in SJ). All of the fans are HERE.

3) Despite the fact that most of the fanbase is from outside the city, Candlestick has been sold out since 1979. ZERO blackouts even in the lean years. People in SF love the Giants because that new stadium is the "cool new thing" (even tho its not so new anymore) in the City. The Warriors are trying to move into SF as well by building an arena on a pier next to the Giants (note how all the Oakland teams are trying to get the hell out of dodge). However...when the Niners are good, they RULE the Bay Area.

4) While most of you are pretty familiar with the "newer" Niner fans, the lions share of them are nothing like you describe. They had a stretch of down years and alot of those fans became fans of the team in those years. That is mostly a function of their age. As such, they have no connection to the past. Your opinion of those fans is formed because for the most part those are the loudest and most computer savvy members of the fanbase. They are the reason it's now dangerous to wear the colors of an opposing team at Candlestick (that and the place is in the middle of the worst neighborhood in SF, Hunters Point). Fans like myself who saw the great years followed by the not-so-great are abundant....but most of the time they don't get on Seahawks forums to talk football. What they do have tho is more disposable income and have already purchased 75% of the SBLs for a new stadium that doesn't open for another 1.5 years.

5) Finally, you said of Montana and Rice "as if those were the best members of those championship teams". Um, who exactly do YOU think were the best players on those teams. I mean seriously...Rice was voted as the best player of all time on NFL Network and Montana was top 10. Ronnie? Roger? JT? Haley? Young? Educate me.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
BBHawks":10p9yhjm said:
LawlessHawk":10p9yhjm said:
60niners":10p9yhjm said:

We need to keep our facts straight or people will continue to laugh us off. You're basically repeating an NFL East Coast myth. The Rams went to the playoffs a number of times during the Niners run. In '89, the NFC title game was between the Rams and the Niners. The Saints, during this period, had one of the toughest defenses in the league - they sent their entire LB corps to the pro bowl more than once. Ask Pete Carroll about the reality of the NFC West in the mid-80's to the early 90's. The Niners actually had a worse winning percentage against the NFC West during their great years than they did against the rest of the NFL.

And, what's wrong with giving credit where credit is due. The Niners streak of seasons with 10 or more wins is still the longest in NFL history. To me, honestly acknowledging that the Niners are one of the elite franchises in the NFL makes knocking them off that much more impressive.

Thanks for the history lesson. But it is what it was. I lived in the Bay Area from '86 thru '02 and actually lived it and saw it with my own eyes. Of course the 9ers were good, Debartolo spent like a drunken sailor on that team. Their 3rd stringers could have been starters on most teams and had arguably the greatest two back to back QB's of all time. That division played out perfectly for them for years. Give Paul Allen an unlimited budget today and lets see how things would work out...

Marvin49

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2smmv1xw said:
Thanks for the history lesson. But it is what it was. I lived in the Bay Area from '86 thru '02 and actually lived it and saw it with my own eyes. Of course the 9ers were good, Debartolo spent like a drunken sailor on that team. Their 3rd stringers could have been starters on most teams and had arguably the greatest two back to back QB's of all time. That division played out perfectly for them for years. Give Paul Allen an unlimited budget today and lets see how things would work out...

Slight problem....

The 49ers did spend money like crazy....but they did it paying players THEY DRAFTED. There was no free agency. It didn't matter how much money you had because there were no players to "buy". The 49ers won 4 of their 5 Super Bowls before the onset of Free Agency. They won their 5th when their was a salary cap.

DeBartolo took excellent care of his players. First class in everything....but they drafted or traded for all of that talent.

In 1994 they loaded up on vet players who wanted a ring. Sound familiar? Its the same thing happening right now in both SF and Seattle. Thats what happens when you become a really good team. You become a "destination" team.

If you gave Paul Allen an unlimited budget, I'm sure he could create the NFLs version of the Yankees or Dodgers....but when was the last time the Yankees won the World Series? Meanwhile the Giants just won 2 out of 3 and the A's won their division with the smallest payrole in MLB.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":38oxyt0p said:
DeBartolo took excellent care of his players. First class in everything....but they drafted or traded for all of that talent.

That he did and his players loved him. Everyone wanted to be 9er. Like I said, it is what it was.

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":34tz6k1t said:
60niners":34tz6k1t said:
His legacy would have been closer to a Dan Marino had he not won it. Many said the Same thing about Peyton Manning.

So the legacy as one of the best qb's to ever play the game just that they didn't get a ring? Marino is a legend despite the lack of rings and Peyton is on a short greatest ever list despite lack of success in the post season and "only" one ring.

Marvin49

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":3fuzrxjp said:
Marvin49":3fuzrxjp said:

That he did and his players loved him. Everyone wanted to be 9er. Like I said, it is what it was.

I guess I don't understand the issue here then.They drafted or traded for all of those players. He paid them well. Is the inference that he paid them well, they loved him, so therefore they were better players than they would have been otherwise? I don't buy that for a second.

Eddie LOVED his players. When Jeff Fuller (49ers Safety) broke his neck in a head on collision (lost the use of his arm for the rest of his life), Eddie set him up with an Annuity so he wouldn't have to work for the rest of his life. That was Eddie. Does this somehow lesten the teams accomplishments? I'm not following.

The Niners were good because they drafted well and had some of the best coaches the NFL has ever seen. One of them who closely resembles a Walrus found his way to Seattle for awhile. Took you guys to a SB you got robbed out of.

60niners

Reaction score
mikeak":1wvxv4hg said:
Basis4day":1wvxv4hg said:
60niners":1wvxv4hg said:

So the legacy as one of the best qb's to ever play the game just that they didn't get a ring? Marino is a legend despite the lack of rings and Peyton is on a short greatest ever list despite lack of success in the post season and "only" one ring.
I think that's misquoted. I didn't type that.