Wilson and Montana

LTH

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have seen this or not but i really enjoyed this so i thought i would post it...

Its clear to me that the game has changed in so many different ways since Joe was playing. But one of the differences is Pete Carroll's approach to the game vs the way Walsh approached the game... Pete encourages the players to be close Not so much with Walsh's approach... Joe didn't hang out with Rice the thing that everybody has incommon is competitiveness as Joe is unbelievably competitive and tough... it's really clear to me that Carroll has helped Wilson with the mental tools to succeed in the league, not to say that Walsh didn't help Joe but just in a different way than Carroll...

I think Walsh was ahead of his time in the way he approached the game. I think Pete is way ahead of his time in the way he approaches players...

Its clear to me that Joe had to find his mental approach pretty much by himself to where Russell is way ahead in his mental approach to the game...which of course both men agree that mental approach is a huge part of being successful in the NFL...

Very interesting piece by Russ and Montana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9LF-QQfOM

LTH

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
LTH":392rn249 said:
Not sure if you guys have seen this or not but i really enjoyed this so i thought i would post it...

Its clear to me that the game has changed in so many different ways since Joe was playing. But one of the differences is Pete Carroll's approach to the game vs the way Walsh approached the game... Pete encourages the players to be close Not so much with Walsh's approach... Joe didn't hang out with Rice the thing that everybody has incommon is competitiveness as Joe is unbelievably competitive and tough... it's really clear to me that Carroll has helped Wilson with the mental tools to succeed in the league, not to say that Walsh didn't help Joe but just in a different way than Carroll...

I think Walsh was ahead of his time in the way he approached the game. I think Pete is way ahead of his time in the way he approaches players...

Its clear to me that Joe had to find his mental approach pretty much by himself to where Russell is way ahead in his mental approach to the game...which of course both men agree that mental approach is a huge part of being successful in the NFL...

Very interesting piece by Russ and Montana...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9LF-QQfOM

LTH
I heard that 90% of the game is 100% mental.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bill Walsh said: "Joe had the best feet I'd ever seen." I think that's why Montana was so accurate.

I watched Marc Sanchez before he was drafted demonstrating how aQBs foot position and movement can make things easier for the left tackle.

Today's game is completely different as QBs and WRs receive much more protection in the interest of scoring and jersey sales. Back then, Kam's hits would have been celebrated and replayed over and over by the NFL.

So it's difficult to compare players, but still feasible if you take those differences in to account.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Having played football many years and other team sports myself, I can say that being close off the field makes a HUGE difference. Of course, maybe it's different at the pro-level, but our team's chemistry off the field made a big difference in the teams that I played on. When your teammates are your real friends (outside the game), you can be more "real" with each other, and it's easier to make the necessary adjustments, with much less defensiveness and hurt feelings. Also, I'd like to believe that each player sacrifices a little bit more for the other, due to caring for each other just that little bit more.

toffee

Reaction score
TypeSly":387ug6bq said:
Having played football many years and other team sports myself, I can say that being close off the field makes a HUGE difference. Of course, maybe it's different at the pro-level, but our team's chemistry off the field made a big difference in the teams that I played on. When your teammates are your real friends (outside the game), you can be more "real" with each other, and it's easier to make the necessary adjustments, with much less defensiveness and hurt feelings. Also, I'd like to believe that each player sacrifices a little bit more for the other, due to caring for each other just that little bit more.
Well said.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

hawkfan68

Reaction score
People are more attuned to stats and analytics now than when Montana played. So Wilson and his teammates may have more information available to him than Montana did. I believe having that information also can create more camaraderie among players, etc. Plus, the game has turned into more of QB and offensive league than it was in Joe's era.

On a side note, I just reviewed RW's stats. Wilson is having a tremendous year but he's already thrown more interceptions this year in 7 games than he did all of last season. Not complaining at all...he's playing great. Just found it interesting.