Wilson Blocking

Starrman44

Reaction score
I'm surprised on the broadcast nobody mentioned the pancake Wilson had. He actually had a couple of nice blocks. I've seen the broadcast crew get excited if Wilson just screens a defender, so when I saw it happen during the play, I really thought they would point it out.

I don't really like him blocking, but his teammates must love it. I hope he is keeping his fingers in, though. It's the one thing I don't like about our option package. If the run comes back to the side Wilson goes to, he does get involved in the blocking. I hope he don't ever get caught in the wash.

A question for you experts. This regards the legality of how you can treat the QB on an option play. My dad always taught us that no matter what, you drill the QB as hard as possible that way he'll start flinching, maybe make quicker decisions (making poor decisions), or maybe even fumble. Also, the coach may stop calling those plays. Of course, Dad played in the early 60s and can barely breathe because his nose has been broken so many times.

Can the defense just knock the snot out of the QB every time and treat him like a normal blocker/runner (essentially a non-QB) on those plays? Hope this isn't a dumb question...

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I have come to love Wilson, not just because he's a good QB, but he's a great FOOTBALL player. Football players make plays. I, for one, loved his blocking and love that he's able and willing to do it.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't mind his blocking, he is not the ball carrier and won't take shots as much as give them, well unless there is a cheap shot artist looking for him. The level of respect he garners by running down field to make one can't be measured.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I noticed, and pointed the block out, on the broadcast.

Do notice that Wilson is picking his spots. He's been going after defensive backs which works pretty well for me.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
Scares me a little when he starts blocking but I agree that he has picked his blocks well and seems to know where everything is going at any given nanosecond which will/should keep him out of too much trouble. Always a risk of a cheap shot though.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":3kbzpvu6 said:
Is he a better blocking QB than Hasselbeck? I really wonder....

IMO, yes. Hasselbeck was more of a dive-at-the-legs type blocker, but Wilson actually engages and holds the blocks much like a WR would.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
kearly":2jqahxa3 said:
Hawk-A-Loogie":2jqahxa3 said:
Is he a better blocking QB than Hasselbeck? I really wonder....

IMO, yes. Hasselbeck was more of a dive-at-the-legs type blocker, but Wilson actually engages and holds the blocks much like a WR would.

Hmm. I think you are right.