Winston Guy .... What's your problem bro?

nsport

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1bemo02r said:
I dunno..... cut the dude some slack. He's clearly trying.....just trying too hard. Could be worse.

Maybe Winston Guy 2013 = Breno 2012?

We need legit depth at our safety positions - would be good if he follows suit when Giacomini finally had that light-bulb moment last year. I'd rather see the guy try too hard, even with poor judgment - if he can get his head on straight by the time he's truly needed.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
I fail to see this as an issue unless it continues to happen.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Who is the primary threat to his roster spot? Jerron Johnson? I guess there was room for both of them last year

m0ng0

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1cguk2q7 said:
Who is the primary threat to his roster spot? Jerron Johnson? I guess there was room for both of them last year
The KONZ!?!?! :D

hawker84

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2zkqk5bx said:
I dunno..... cut the dude some slack. He's clearly trying.....just trying too hard. Could be worse.

this 100%. clearly by watching the RRR, he's the little brother trying to gain he's fellow Boom brothers respect, trying too hard, plain and simple, i'm sure he was set straight and it won't happen again.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
hawker84":1hjku95o said:
T-Sizzle":1hjku95o said:

this 100%. clearly by watching the RRR, he's the little brother trying to gain he's fellow Boom brothers respect, trying too hard, plain and simple, i'm sure he was set straight and it won't happen again.

IT WAS ONE FREAKING PLAY! Lets not act like he has a history of cheapshots. Can we stop with the overreacting, Breno pissed Big Red Bryant just last week. They exchanged words and kept it moving this is no different. Stephen Williams returned back to the game, and was not seriously harmed. I guarantee if this was BB or Kam, this whole thread would be nothing but gif and video highlights of their hardest hits.

And give me a freaking break with trying to judge a players personality or intentions on the football through the RRR, its pathetic that some of you watch a random clip of the players clearly clowning around and think you know them well enough to talk as if you know them. As for Winston Guy keep up the physical play, just make sure the damage is done to on Sundays and not to fellow teammates.

King Dog

Reaction score
Killa Kam":qx0mklr9 said:
hawker84":qx0mklr9 said:
T-Sizzle":qx0mklr9 said:

So what he took a cheapshot on a scrub, IT WAS ONE FREAKING PLAY! Lets not act like he has a history of cheapshots. Can we stop with the overreacting, Breno pissed Big Red Bryant just last week. They exchanged words and kept it moving this is no different. Stephen Williams returned back to the game, and was not seriously harmed. I guarantee if this was BB or Kam, this whole thread would be nothing but gif and video highlights of their hardest hits.

And give me a freaking break with trying to judge a players personality or intentions on the football through the RRR, its pathetic that some of you watch a random clip of the players clearly clowning around and think you know them well enough to talk as if you know them. As for Winston Guy keep up the physical play, just make sure the damage is done to on Sundays and not to fellow teammates.

I really don't care one way or the other. Obviously, if there's a problem the coaching staff will deal with it however they see fit.

He took out a "scrub" this time. However, how would you feel next time if he took out Russell Wilson in a non-contact drill? Or maybe he takes out Marshawn, Golden or Sidney...

You gotta admit, getting suspended last year four games for "illegal substances" and then taking out his own teammate this year in non-contact drills isn't really a good start to his career. Hell, Pete even sounded pissed in his pressor.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
King Dog":6u6r26fd said:
Killa Kam":6u6r26fd said:
So what he took a cheapshot on a scrub, IT WAS ONE FREAKING PLAY! Lets not act like he has a history of cheapshots. Can we stop with the overreacting, Breno pissed Big Red Bryant just last week. They exchanged words and kept it moving this is no different. Stephen Williams returned back to the game, and was not seriously harmed. I guarantee if this was BB or Kam, this whole thread would be nothing but gif and video highlights of their hardest hits.

I really don't care one way or the other. Obviously, if there's a problem the coaching staff will deal with it however they see fit.

He took out a "scrub" this time. However, how would you feel next time if he took out Russell Wilson in a non-contact drill? Or maybe he takes out Marshawn...

You gotta admit, getting suspended last year four games for "illegal substances" and then taking out his own teammate this year in non-contact drills isn't really a good start to his career.

Yeah if we're going to criticize him for peds I wouldn't disagree and that goes for the rest of the team, but this whole thing is being blown out of proportion imo. I don't want to see any player hurt scrub or star, but this is football and sometimes things get a little chippy and borderline dirty. I was wrong to say so what if its a scrub

His persona on the RRR and twitter/instagram are irrelevant to anything this more than anything is whats annoying me. This whole thread reminds of the overreaction to Moffitt clowning around on the RRR and acting like it meant he wasn't taking football seriously.

Seafan

Reaction score
He was underwhelming last season and is really pressing to keep his job. Just not too smart. I'm not worried whether he makes the roster or not. The Hawks will do the right thing.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Seemed like the players were chewing him out after thr hit too. It was a scary hit and the med staff ran over right away. I think guy could b cut and this could have some impact on thst decision

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375591567155.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375591567155.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 759

UGotHawked

Reaction score
A little off and overly physical? Sounds like a traits of a poetentially very good special teamer to me.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
file.php

- Winston Guy is tough to gauge. On the one hand he plays like he's worthy of being Kam Chancellor's back-up. However there's a maturity factor, which I hate questioning, but does concern me with him. Today he upended a leaping and exposed Stephen Williams, then escalated the situation by trash talking Williams after he was slow to get up. Earl Thomas dragged him aside and Red Bryant had some words for the young strong safety. I hope Guy gets his head screwed on straight because he has the talent to earn playing time this season.
Source >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/8/4/4584058/seahawks-training-camp-notes-mock-game[/urltargetblank]

I wish that bonehead event was isolated. But, it isn't. Poor situational awareness and negative plays have plagued his efforts since day one IMHO. I sure hope the light comes on .... and quickly.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Jville":12jwn3oj said:
- Winston Guy is tough to gauge. On the one hand he plays like he's worthy of being Kam Chancellor's back-up. However there's a maturity factor, which I hate questioning, but does concern me with him. Today he upended a leaping and exposed Stephen Williams, then escalated the situation by trash talking Williams after he was slow to get up. Earl Thomas dragged him aside and Red Bryant had some words for the young strong safety. I hope Guy gets his head screwed on straight because he has the talent to earn playing time this season.
Source >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/8/4/4584058/seahawks-training-camp-notes-mock-game[/urltargetblank]

I wish that bonehead event was isolated. But, it isn't. Poor situational awareness and negative plays have plagued his efforts since day one IMHO. I sure hope the light comes on .... and quickly.

the Atlanta game aside, I honestly don't remember him playing in a regular season game, in what games have you seen poor situational awareness and negative plays?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I paid attention to Winston Guy because of high expectations for him.

If you want to do the work to find it, it's there in the preseason ... followed by an ugly opening regular season game in Arizona ..... and another attempt at playing him in Detroit.

I hope teammates have his attention now and the light has come on. He has far too much talent to waste.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jville":3hwda8zw said:
I paid attention to Winston Guy because of high expectations for him.

If you want to do the work to find it, it's there in the preseason ... followed by an ugly opening regular season game in Arizona ..... and another attempt at playing him in Detroit.

I hope teammates have his attention now and the light has come on. He has far too much talent to waste.

He's a sixth rounder in his second year. Having too high expectations is a mistake, as is judging his future ability after two games.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":290soab1 said:
I can't believe some of the uninformed and non-contextual comments against Winston Guy in this thread. First of all, as has been confirmed by multiple articles which have referenced the incident, it was not a NON-contact situation, it was a LIMITED-contact situation. There is a difference. Secondly, the accounts that I've read indicate that Guy merely lost his train of thought and let his natural instincts get the better of him when took out Williams rather than attempting to pull up, that it was not a malicious example of 'targeting,' and the fact that Williams went head over heals brought extra attention to it than it otherwise may have received if Williams has simply hit the ground in a normal fashion. Obviously that's a subjective opinion of others, but it's an opinion that has been offered nonetheless by those who witnessed it.

And to judge Guy's maturity level based on his appearances in the Real Rob Report is patently absurd. The RRR is a vehicle that is specifically designed to get the players to act the fool in front of the camera and ham it up. Measuring someone's maturity level via the RRR is tantamount to measuring their athleticism via their performance in a potato sack race.

This has been much ado about very little.

I agree. Some of the comments on both sides of the argument are silly. Pete and players will address it.

Comments the player has a personality disorder is poor taste. He is a second year player competing in a highly competitive and stacked DB unit. He is fighting for a job, is young, and needs coaching. To just say outright “cut him”, or name a play he did last year is silly. He has contributed to some degree or he wouldn’t be with the team still. If he is coached up and displays the talent he will be on the final roster, and if not then he is cut just like every other player.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2rspmrb2 said:
Winston Guy. Oh where do I begin.
#1. Last year I barely noticed him ON the field, but, in the LOCKER ROOM (RRR) I wanted BB to come flying in with an elbow to shut him up. And I'm not even really one of the "just shut up and play" types. i love RRR but for some reason, WG is the ONLY Hawk that I wish would just STFU and stay off the camera. He tries tooo hard and seems a little 'off', I knew a few guys like him. Wait, no pun intended.

#2. Shoot, there is no #2.

Are you sure your not confusing Guy with Kearse? :D I didn't noticed Guy that much, but everytime Kearse is on the screen I supress the overwhelming urge to shut it off.