Year end press conference

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":1yh4q9jj said:
LoneHawkFan":1yh4q9jj said:
I agree, but not necessarily with this part^. By the time CC had his 10th carry on Saturday, he had gained 66 yds. 10/66. Unfortunately that wasn't until late in the 3rd Q. He averaged better than Cam Akers, but Cam had more runs than the entire Seahawk team. LA averaged 3.8, we averaged 5.4 ypc.

I think how and when the running game manifests, and what the playbook looks like, needs work in order to be successful on a larger game-day scale, i.e. if we're going to run it 35X instead of 20X, then it needs to be more dynamic, less predictable to maintain the 4-5 ypc at scale.

But we were NOT inept at running the ball on Saturday. We were inept at throwing it.
I don't think we're inept at running the ball and I'm actually not down on Carson (except for his ability to stay on the field) at all.

The issue isn't that we aren't able to run it's that our game planning scheme usually lines up plays on first and second down that a three yard gain would reasonably be considered successful. The times it breaks for more than that is almost always due to individual effort of our RBs... but that's not a strategy. Hoping Carson is going to turn a three yard run into 9 is wishful thinking, not planning.

So we get our two plays for three yards and then we line up with an empty backfield (unless the D has been generating pressure, then we line up an RB for protection) and now everyone and their mother is aware we have to throw because it's third and 4 or longer.

It's such a bankrupt scheme but it's indicative of Pete's overall philosophy that we don't want to 'lose' the game early... but then he'll happily turn the ball over to Russell to fling it every which way in the 4th quarter because we've got not choice. We're turning away from small gambles in the first three quarters only to take massive ones in the 4th.

I'm perfectly happy with a offense that's going to be balanced between run and pass (which would be considered run heavy in today's NFL) but it's got to be one that's designed to get more yards on those first two plays because we can't convert on third to save our lives right now.

How can you say we're not inept at running, acknowledge that we ran the ball well on Saturday (and this whole season, really) and then say we regularly go two runs for 3 yards and are left w 3rd and long. Yes, that happens, but not as often as you think. We were held to 3rd and long yesterday FAR MORE often because of sacks and incompletions than because we ran 2X and got nothing. I remember it a cpl times- but not regularly. I also remember a cpl great runs on 1st down, then 2 failed pass plays and a punt.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I don't know or even necessarily think firing Pete is the right move, but if that's what he's taking from this, I wouldn't care if they did go that route anymore.

themunn

Reaction score
The Rams rushed Akers and Brown 37 times for 161 yards and we simply couldn't stop them even though we knew Goff was broken and couldn't do much if anything against us - he completed just NINE passes against us.

That's why they were able to beat us. That's what Carroll wants us to be able to do, but we couldn't do it.

Funny how everybody here derides Carroll's philosophy but it's exactlyt what McVay did and was able to carve us up. Sure, Wilson had one of his worst ever games for us, but among all that penalties, sacks killed any chance of us getting the running game going (twice we ended up in 1st and 25 situations following back to back penalties - those are drive killers). Twice we ran the ball on 3rd and 1 and failed to convert. Turnovers gave the Rams the chance to score - 14 of their points directly off our 2 turnovers.

3 times we got pinged on offensive holding to the Rams 0.
3 times we got pinged on false start to the Rams 1.

9 times total we had a penalty accepted against us to the Rams 2. And 1 of those was holding on a punt, i.e. the drive was already dead. Our penalties killed drives, the Rams' didn't. And that's why we couldn't do what they did.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":nc4981t4 said:
mistaowen":nc4981t4 said:
I will say - there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to run the ball better. The best teams in the playoffs run the ball well. My issue is Pete's scheme is so god damn basic that doubling down to run the ball with what we currently have isn't going to change anything. There's absolutely no creativity built into it. We will just see more run - run - pass with even less efficiency when 2nd and 9 is a 1 yard run. None of this fixes defenses simply sitting in cover 2 when IF a pass is called, it's double/triple covered down the sidelines. The entire scheme needs to be blown up and rather than digging deep into why it broke down, they just want to force it to work.

Another problem is there's zero money or draft picks to get the mauling offensive line needed to do this and our current roster is built to flourish in a more uptempo style. And has been since 2015 even with that 2018 reset.

Paying Russell 35+ million to go back to handing it off 25-30 times with a ceiling of 200 yards is also a clear issue. He said last year he wants to do more and was on a record setting pace to start. This is pretty obviously going to make him unhappy.

I agree, but not necessarily with this part^. By the time CC had his 10th carry on Saturday, he had gained 66 yds. 10/66. Unfortunately that wasn't until late in the 3rd Q. He averaged better than Cam Akers, but Cam had more runs than the entire Seahawk team. LA averaged 3.8, we averaged 5.4 ypc.

I think how and when the running game manifests, and what the playbook looks like, needs work in order to be successful on a larger game-day scale, i.e. if we're going to run it 35X instead of 20X, then it needs to be more dynamic, less predictable to maintain the 4-5 ypc at scale.

But we were NOT inept at running the ball on Saturday. We were inept at throwing it.

The Hawks started 0-8 on third down, how is Chris supposed to get more carries?
They had 1 less drive but 14 fewer total plays than the Rams

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2kw1iz27 said:
LoneHawkFan":2kw1iz27 said:
mistaowen":2kw1iz27 said:
I will say - there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to run the ball better. The best teams in the playoffs run the ball well. My issue is Pete's scheme is so god damn basic that doubling down to run the ball with what we currently have isn't going to change anything. There's absolutely no creativity built into it. We will just see more run - run - pass with even less efficiency when 2nd and 9 is a 1 yard run. None of this fixes defenses simply sitting in cover 2 when IF a pass is called, it's double/triple covered down the sidelines. The entire scheme needs to be blown up and rather than digging deep into why it broke down, they just want to force it to work.

Another problem is there's zero money or draft picks to get the mauling offensive line needed to do this and our current roster is built to flourish in a more uptempo style. And has been since 2015 even with that 2018 reset.

Paying Russell 35+ million to go back to handing it off 25-30 times with a ceiling of 200 yards is also a clear issue. He said last year he wants to do more and was on a record setting pace to start. This is pretty obviously going to make him unhappy.

The Hawks started 0-8 on third down, how is Chris supposed to get more carries?
They had 1 less drive but 14 fewer total plays than the Rams

I wasn't arguing that CC should have gotten more carries: I was arguing that CC wasn't getting stuffed all day long leaving us with long -to go, off-schedule situations. That was a result of Russ getting sacked, throwing incompletions, and our penalties. Unfortunately, in this game we put ourselves in a position to not be able to utilize CC more...but not because he wasn't being productive.

Reaction score
Pete's mentality is always going to lead to close games with very few blowouts. I'm not gonna criticise what is, generally, a successful team but I don't know how far you can go with that mentality. Its just limited, it means that inferior teams always have a chance and that means that a broken tackle can lead to a loss, a bad throw can lead to a loss etc..

The Seahawks have a very good roster but this style of play doesn't maximise that talent.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2rhi0cwl said:
How can you say we're not inept at running, acknowledge that we ran the ball well on Saturday (and this whole season, really) and then say we regularly go two runs for 3 yards and are left w 3rd and long. Yes, that happens, but not as often as you think. We were held to 3rd and long yesterday FAR MORE often because of sacks and incompletions than because we ran 2X and got nothing. I remember it a cpl times- but not regularly. I also remember a cpl great runs on 1st down, then 2 failed pass plays and a punt.
I can say that because getting three yards for certain plays isn't a failure. And I guess I do need to say here that I didn't mean to imply this is always due to two straight rushing plays either, as we just as often due short, conservative pass plays that often end in quick incompletes or also just net us a yard (or three).

My point is that we are too conservative/unimaginative on our drives, period. Our rushing scheme limits what Carson and our RBs can do. I don't think Carson is failing to deliver what we ask him to deliver, I think we don't ask him to deliver as much as he is capable and he is handicapped by our scheme.

I mean even in this game, while we might have 'averaged' 5.4 YPC, our median and mode for designed rushes (I included gains for plays that were negated by penalties as well) was exactly 3 this game.

So yeah, we got 14 yards on 2nd and 34 (and you can imagine how much a D is focused on stuffing a run in that situation), but our most common/expected outcome of rush plays was three yards. 2/3 of every designed run from our RBs gained 4 yards or less.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hahahaha!

At this point Carroll has successfully managed to divide the posters here.

I’m not a fan of losing but at this point this senile troll of a head coach is figuratively flipping off fans that are calling for 2021 football and not this been there done offensive approach in which all defenses with eyes has adjusted for and Carroll just sticks with type BS cause that’s all he knows and refuses to change.

The man is a joke and will cause friction among players and have wasted some good/great talent here.

I don’t know what else to add.

I guess Jody Allen is the only one that can change anything.

Anyone here have her email?

The hell with Carroll!

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
DarkVictory23":1xra0pm2 said:
LoneHawkFan":1xra0pm2 said:
I can say that because getting three yards for certain plays isn't a failure. And I guess I do need to say here that I didn't mean to imply this is always due to two straight rushing plays either, as we just as often due short, conservative pass plays that often end in quick incompletes or also just net us a yard (or three).

My point is that we are too conservative/unimaginative on our drives, period. Our rushing scheme limits what Carson and our RBs can do. I don't think Carson is failing to deliver what we ask him to deliver, I think we don't ask him to deliver as much as he is capable and he is handicapped by our scheme.

I mean even in this game, while we might have 'averaged' 5.4 YPC, our median and mode for designed rushes (I included gains for plays that were negated by penalties as well) was exactly 3 this game.

So yeah, we got 14 yards on 2nd and 34 (and you can imagine how much a D is focused on stuffing a run in that situation), but our most common/expected outcome of rush plays was three yards. 2/3 of every designed run from our RBs gained 4 yards or less.

I agree with that. It sounded like you were saying that we run the ball over and over on 1st and 2nd down for a total of three yards and are left with long 3rd down conversions.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
FearTheHawk":2v4dqppw said:
Dk and Jamal have unfollowed eachother. Chris unfollowed Russ and the Hawks. This is just the beginning. This presser is going to make a lot of Hawks unhappy. And we might lose Russ too. Pete isn't the answer anymore. He just isn't.

DK is still following Jamal as of 10 seconds ago. Is there a way to tell who has unfollowed who? Do we know if Jamal ever followed him?

Jesus, now I know how it feels to be a 13 year old girl.