Zags 2016/2017 Thread

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Well that was the worst game of basketball I've watched in a really really long time.

NC couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. and the zags didn't shoot well either. Side effect of playing in a dang football stadium.

The refs called way too many ticky tack fouls. It's like they called a couple early in the second half and then just couldn't get out of their own way.

Absolutely brutal tv watching.

I didn't want the zags to win, as a WSU fan. But I was hoping to see a good basketball game. yuk

253hawk

Reaction score
27 fouls in the second half, 21 of which came in the first 12 minutes. That's a foul every 34 seconds. That is abhorrent. You almost couldn't draw that many if you were deliberately trying to foul the whole time.

Chapow

Reaction score
I agree with most that it was a poorly officiated game, but the whole "the fix was in" narrative is pretty ridiculous.

Each team was called for 22 personal fouls and each team shot 26 free throws. It doesn't get any more even than, well, dead even. Yes, I get that there are many other things the refs decide and calls they have to make, but it seemed to me that there were some pretty bad calls on each team. That's just part of pretty much any basketball game ever though.

IMO, what decided this game was not the refs. The Zags had 10 more turnovers than NC. 10. That's a really big difference, especially when your playing a very good team.

And man I hate to throw one guy under the bus, especially in a team game like basketball, but Karnowski really hurt his team last night. He was 1 for 8 and almost all of those were from very, very close range. Just a brutal performance at the absolute worst possible time.

If the Zags had taken care of the ball just a little bit better and if Karnowski had put away just one or two more of those point blank chances this game could have turned out different. This Gonzaga team is a very good team and IMO plenty capable of beating NC. Unfortunately, they didn't play well enough to beat them last night.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":18szrxo3 said:
I agree with most that it was a poorly officiated game, but the whole "the fix was in" narrative is pretty ridiculous..

The only fix I thought of was CBS telling the refs to slow the game down to wring another 30-40 minutes of commercials out of the broadcast.

But yes overall this was one of the sloppiest, ugliest, poorly played and officiated finals I can remember.

If Gonzaga just makes even half of the free throws they missed, they win this game going away.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah that was a really ugly game. Like another poster mentioned, it's hard to know who the better team was after that game. Both teams played poorly, game was officiated bad, and there was no rhythm to the game. I'm not buying this, "the fix was in." If you seriously think a game this big was fixed, then you are off your rocker. There is a big difference between a "fix" and "bad calls." I thought the refs missed a ton of calls going both ways. Sometimes they got two calls wrong on one play (i.e. Berry getting called for a foul and then Karnowski getting called for the flagrant, neither were a foul).

With that said, I've been saying this for a long time, but college basketball needs to change their rules. For one, go to six player fouls like the NBA. As of now, if you get two fouls in the first half, you have to ride the bench. If you pick up one foul in the first 5 minutes, you are playing on eggshells. If it were me, I'd completely adopt NBA rules. Just go with four quarters, eliminate the one-and-one, and go to double bonus once you get to five team fouls. Nearly every college hoops game you hit the bonus with 7-10 minutes left in the half.

My other big complaint is the final four itself. I strongly dislike how they play a basketball game in a football arena. Basketball is meant to be played in a basketball arena. Unless you play hoops, you won't understand how hard it is to shoot a ball in a football arena. Rather than the backdrop of the crowd or walls being slightly behind the hoop, it goes much further back. It's not a coincidence that both teams struggled to shoot in the championship game. Some of the misses were beyond bricks. Good chance they will never move away from the football venue because of the revenue and ticket sales. I was just surprised that the CBS crew didn't bring it up at all.

In the end, I think the better team won. UNC played the better and made plays in the last couple minutes whereas Gonzaga didn't. A lot of that had to do with NWG turning his ankle, but Few decided to roll the dice and put the ball in his hands. As a UW fan, I am happy with the result, but I'm well aware that Gonzaga is a staying power and will be competing for many final fours in the future. Great season for the Zags, but it's tough losing in the championship because everyone knows it won't be easy to get back there.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16sohr9r said:
Chapow":16sohr9r said:
I agree with most that it was a poorly officiated game, but the whole "the fix was in" narrative is pretty ridiculous..

The only fix I thought of was CBS telling the refs to slow the game down to wring another 30-40 minutes of commercials out of the broadcast.

But yes overall this was one of the sloppiest, ugliest, poorly played and officiated finals I can remember.

If Gonzaga just makes even half of the free throws they missed, they win this game going away.
This and what Hawk-Lock postedThe Zags had their chances,All they had to do was not turn it over more than UNC or make more free throws.The little things bite you in the end.I think the Zags proved they belonged and are a great team but UNC was a hair better.Had it been any other team I think the Zags win it..

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I agree with almost all of what Hawk lock stated. I disagree that UNC is better. They were down in the first half when all our bigs were not strapped with foul trouble. If it wasn't for turnovers like was stated they would have been down double digits.
You can't really tell much from the second half as it was a joke. Is UNC better? Maybe, they managed to make the plays down the stretch aided by a missed out of bounds call.
Had Collins not been strapped with two pathetic foul calls early in the second half I guarantee we would have scored more. Refs fouled up that game plain and simple.

Chapow

Reaction score
Zags fans aren't going to like it, but can anybody read this article and honestly come to the conclusion that it's not a pretty fair take on the championship game?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... xp2nud1hyl

Yes, of course the refs made some errors. They always do. But quite frankly, that was a pretty poorly played game by both teams.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":xgos4kor said:
dopeboy206":xgos4kor said:
I'm a UW fan. Don't like Gonzaga but I thought they got screwed. Refs sucked. I feel bad for Collins. Refs were horrible.

Why does being a UW fan mean you don't like Gonzaga? They play in totally different leagues and don't really overlap recruiting very much. In fact, when they have gone after the same guy UW normally gets him.
Why do I have to like them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It makes sense not to like another team in the same area as your team in college basketball. The teams are likely competing for a lot of the same recruits. I haven't followed CBB recruiting in years, so maybe that's not so much the case. But anyway, teams that win tend to have an easier time getting good recruits.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Collins should be mid round pick. I don't see NWG being an NBA prospect. He is an average athlete, doesn't have a great outside shot, and doesn't have great size for a PG. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get drafted.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1df6i0ww said:
Collins should be mid round pick. I don't see NWG being an NBA prospect. He is an average athlete, doesn't have a great outside shot, and doesn't have great size for a PG. Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get drafted.

I could see him sticking somewhere as a glue guy on the bench. But he might be a guy who ends up making his money playing over in Europe. There's plenty of money to be made on that side of the pond. He's a guy like Dorsey and Brooks from Oregon who are limited by physical factors which won't improve their draft stock by coming back for another year. Might as well go out and start making your money, whether its here or oversea's. Especially since I believe Williams Goss already has his degree.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I can understand why Goss left but as strong as this draft class is I agree that he may not be drafted. I think he does get on with an NBA team though

Latest posts