Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will the Hawks O be efficient out of the gate

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13

Will the Hawks O be efficient out of the gate

Poll ended at Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:22 am

I think they will be horrible
2%
I think they will be lights out
29%
I think they will come on the last part of the season
12%
I think they will just be ok
21%
I think the O will be good out of the gate but fizzle down the stretch
17%
I think Shane Waldron will be .NET's new whipping boy
17%
Just fire everybody NOW, hire Bozo the Clown and lets be done with this circus
2%

Total votes : 42

• I think they will be horrible

LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I think they will start out good and fizzle later on in the season when Carroll implements 'Pete Ball' because he feels something isnt right. Happens every year and I dont see it changing this year.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• I think our offense will be pretty good early but will get better as the season progresses, barring multiple key injuries.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• I think we'll be great out of the gate, start to slow down mid-season as defenses adjust, then pick up steam again as we begin rolling out new subpackages in preparation for the playoffs.

And yes, Waldron and Pete will continue to be the whipping boy for some on .net :roll:
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

• LTH wrote:I think they will be horrible

Now you need to wait till most here Google who Bozo the Clown is.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Oh and as far as the offense goes, I think we will be baited into over joyed in pre season, but when real games happen we will be pissed for about 6 weeks, it depends on Pete's patience as well. When things get faster and more of the playbook learned and actually being able to execute it is when we see improvement. Defenses are going to key on something early since it will not be fully opened and they will take that away. They will force Wilson to beat them much like the end of last year with the Tampa Two. We need our counter to that and what they bring next, like 6 man rush etc since the timing is going to be iffy out of the gate.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    LTH wrote:I think they will be horrible

LMAO!!! Im old what can i say! LOL

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• People will perceive any change in offensive production as Pete Carroll forcefully throttling his own offense and call it "Peteball."

People also seem to think "tempo" means heavy passing, so I expect a few pissed off people in that regard.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• It’s a tad early to make informed comment on something we haven’t seen play a down.

I suspect the team will be improve and less easy to defend on Oand will get stronger as the year progresses.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Maelstrom787 wrote:People will perceive any change in offensive production as Pete Carroll forcefully throttling his own offense and call it "Peteball."

People also seem to think "tempo" means heavy passing, so I expect a few pissed off people in that regard.

this
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:People will perceive any change in offensive production as Pete Carroll forcefully throttling his own offense and call it "Peteball."

Let's put this into as easy perspective as we can, the people who complain about "Peteball" are the ones that want to win big instead of just winning (we were 6-1 in the last seven games under "Peteball") People complain about "Peteball" in the playoff game, but two rushing attempts in the first quarter is not what any of them would call "Peteball" It was the Wilson show and it failed miserably.

Regarding the poll, I absolutely believe that we will be very successful offensively from the opening quarter of the season. I will not sit here and bash our previous OC's (except Bevell for the play that should have gotten him fired), but the truth is the route trees and manner of running them were rudimentary at best. Waldron comes from a place that has variations upon variations upon variations (I can go on, but you get the picture). We will have people guessing right out of the gate where we are going and what we are doing and it will be the first time in at least seven seasons. With how often our future HoF QB has the guys playing together in the offseason away from Seattle, I fully expect the team to be on it rapidly.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• I think that they will start off ok, even tho we have a tuff opener at Indy. Its a 50-50 chance of beating the Colts in Idny, at best. I think after playing a game in front of the home crowd we see them come around. But watch out for them Colts.

Cheers
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

• In a real sense the THIS from toffee above is so right on.

Any chance the Pete haters have to attempt to further their agenda they will take their shot.

“The team is no good b/c they only get to the playoffs every year but haven’t won it all since 2013. Pete is too conservative. Pete Ball is awful!” Blah, blah, blah, barely more than unremitting negativity.

Some of these guys apparently missed the 90s and the many years of true suckage.

Although my post might occasion negativity this is the best FO this team has ever had. This program has a rep around the league for being vicious competitive.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• LTH wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    LTH wrote:I think they will be horrible

LMAO!!! Im old what can i say! LOL

LTH

At least you didn't go back to Howdy Doody, and then further back to Kukla, Fran and Ollie. lol
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• jammerhawk wrote:In a real sense the THIS from toffee above is so right on.

Any chance the Pete haters have to attempt to further their agenda they will take their shot.

“The team is no good b/c they only get to the playoffs every year but haven’t won it all since 2013. Pete is too conservative. Pete Ball is awful!” Blah, blah, blah, barely more than unremitting negativity.

Some of these guys apparently missed the 90s and the many years of true suckage.

Although my post might occasion negativity this is the best FO this team has ever had. This program has a rep around the league for being vicious competitive.

so in your mind as long as we are competitive we should be happy. No wanting more. So glad the players feel different. AS to best FO you can argue that they were the best we ever had. But if there are 30 tams and you have the best RB you ever had but it is the worst in the league what does it matter. Not saying this FO is the worst, but it is far from the best.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• This offense is way too talented and experienced to not be efficient and explosive out of the gate, even with a new coordinator and playbook.

My only concern is their early schedule is pretty tough, against some good to great defenses.

Colts
    Vikings
    Titans
    Niners
    Rams
    Steelers

So that'll play a factor with how good the offense looks.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• They were productive quickly last year then got figured out. The real question is will there offensive model be adaptable and sustainable through the whole season and any postseason. I hope so and am rooting for whatever they are doing to work. It is nice to see our offense getting into the 21st century.

As far as tempo Pete has already stated it not just about how fast the offense operates but getting plays in and to the line of scrimmage faster then hiking the ball off before the defense can get set.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I personally think they will have growing pains in the first quarter of the season and then build up steam as the season goes on and they really get used to the new offensive philosophy and concepts. Basically the opposite of last year's offense.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• This team could go 15-1 & score 607 points while giving up 230 but lose the Super Bowl 43-8 & guys here would complain that Peteball was somehow sabotaging the offense.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

• Hockey Guy wrote:This team could go 15-1 & score 607 points while giving up 230 but lose the Super Bowl 43-8 & guys here would complain that Peteball was somehow sabotaging the offense.

That would depend on if PC goes back to the same old same old in the playoffs like he has many times before. If he left the offense alone and that happened than I doubt anyone would blame PC for the offense.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote:This team could go 15-1 & score 607 points while giving up 230 but lose the Super Bowl 43-8 & guys here would complain that Peteball was somehow sabotaging the offense.

That would depend on if PC goes back to the same old same old in the playoffs like he has many times before. If he left the offense alone and that happened than I doubt anyone would blame PC for the offense.

I mean, you all do it already with the "meddling" and "Peteball" catch-all tropes.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Yes, they will be efficient, and very explosive out of the gate.

People harping on 2 high. You're supposed to run teams right out of it. It's nigh impossible to play 2 high against the Shanny offense unless it is 3rd and long, as you no longer have to respect the run at that point. Good thing one of the main emphasis' of this offense is staying out of 3rd and long.

The biggest diff. observant fans will notice, is opponents will struggle to key in on exactly what the Seahawks are doing on a snap to snap basis. The exact opposite of what they've been in seasons past. Where they got into certain formations on certain downs and distances and you knew what they were running. The Seahawks tipped their plays in the past and did a horrible job of disguising what they were doing. That ends now.

What you will see is a lot of wide zone runs with Jet motion and Wilson booting out from 11 personnel. Good luck playing 2 high against that offense. (You have to play 8 in the box or else you will get eaten alive.)

It's a cat and mouse game. It's very hard to tell what is a run and what is a pass, as the formations and movements look the same to defenses. So they have to play it honest and straight up.

The Ram's ran a lot of uptempo. Wilson also is at his best when it is uptempo, so it is very believable that Is what they will look like come game 1. I think we won't see much of Wilson or the starters for that matter in pre-season. That's how McVay plays it, and it makes sense with them having such a veteran laden offense. So I would temper expectations for the pre-season. 17 game season has to be a factor as well.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:Yes, they will be efficient, and very explosive out of the gate.

People harping on 2 high. You're supposed to run teams right out of it. It's nigh impossible to play 2 high against the Shanny offense unless it is 3rd and long, as you no longer have to respect the run at that point. Good thing one of the main emphasis' of this offense is staying out of 3rd and long.

The biggest diff. observant fans will notice, is opponents will struggle to key in on exactly what the Seahawks are doing on a snap to snap basis. The exact opposite of what they've been in seasons past. Where they got into certain formations on certain downs and distances and you knew what they were running. The Seahawks tipped their plays in the past and did a horrible job of disguising what they were doing. That ends now.

What you will see is a lot of wide zone runs with Jet motion and Wilson booting out from 11 personnel. Good luck playing 2 high against that offense. (You have to play 8 in the box or else you will get eaten alive.)

It's a cat and mouse game. It's very hard to tell what is a run and what is a pass, as the formations and movements look the same to defenses. So they have to play it honest and straight up.

The Ram's ran a lot of uptempo. Wilson also is at his best when it is uptempo, so it is very believable that Is what they will look like come game 1. I think we won't see much of Wilson or the starters for that matter in pre-season. That's how McVay plays it, and it makes sense with them having such a veteran laden offense. So I would temper expectations for the pre-season. 17 game season has to be a factor as well.

great post spot on!!!
    John63
    NET Veteran

• I think people complaining about Peteball have never watched more than 5 minutes of Martyball in their lives.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:I think people complaining about Peteball have never watched more than 5 minutes of Martyball in their lives.

Very much the same different jerseys, them with Okoya us with Lynch, without them players the offenses were much less consistent.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

You're aware that Russ decides whether or not we run against 2-high, yeah?

We will start out hot because that is who we are in the Fat Russ era. The legs start feeling a little heavy around the halfway mark.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Maulbert wrote:I think people complaining about Peteball have never watched more than 5 minutes of Martyball in their lives.

Or we did and realize the fact u have to bring up Marty ball should tell u something. That being time for a change.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• We have started strong in season and finished strong, started slow and finished strong and started strong and finished slow. The facts will show alot of this centered around injuries.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:We have started strong in season and finished strong, started slow and finished strong and started strong and finished slow. The facts will show alot of this centered around injuries.

And the weight of the quarterback
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:We have started strong in season and finished strong, started slow and finished strong and started strong and finished slow. The facts will show alot of this centered around injuries.

That's a true statement...But its true for everybody as well.

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• LTH wrote:
    John63 wrote:We have started strong in season and finished strong, started slow and finished strong and started strong and finished slow. The facts will show alot of this centered around injuries.

That's a true statement...But its true for everybody as well.

LTH

Yes it is.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• I think every thing needs to be on an even keel... remember that there is a process to this team. during training camp they are figuring out where all the pieces fit. then the first part of the season they are making adjustments and dealing with injury issues and the competition factors with the players so remember that the first part of the season isn't necessarily how good or bad this team is... they might start out really fast or they might start slow but its how they finish that is important...

Just my take...

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• I hope they come out kinda slow but win games. Then come out on fire around week 13 and keep that momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

Nice post! I agree with all of this. I don't think we'll really see how the defences that we play adjust to the 'is this a run or is this a pass formation' strategy until several games in, or the 4 or 5 game mark. I personally would like to see us stick to the deception 'knitting' and playcalling on a slow-burn kinda basis. I don't really want the first 4 or 5 games to be blowout victories (if that's possible) - I think that too much razzle-dazzle and big heads might hurt us down the stretch. I'd like a nice even, new, interesting start to the season and a strong finish. Strong finish - I guess we'll see how running back depth holds up for the playoff run/stretch.

Keep in mind that Russ is probably playing for his new-non-Seahawks contract in a year - so he's going to play lights-out - he's already got his revenge body/workout going. The point: will they start out 'efficient' or explosive? I think yes - BUT - LOOK OUT if we have some setbacks or the wrong injuries. Pete Ball is just under the covers if the new wonder-boy OC trips or stumbles along the first 1/2 of the season. I hope he doesn't - but if the O stumbles, I think they'll have a tough time getting back on track for the stretch. And Russ didn't appear to have much problems throwing the o-line/team under the bus when things were struggling - so again, if the O stumbles, I have a bad feeling that we're going to crater/not recover from it. Think DK 'gimmie the ball' meltdowns or camera grabbing in the stands from last season.

Just my .02. Although having said ALL OF THAT - I liked last season from the 'quick start' standpoint. I get sick of waiting until game 8 to see us 'come alive' and then bite my nails down the stretch. Let's take some of the desperation out of the tail end of the season please. I hope the new O scheme is what we all hope it will be!
    ddores
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• LTH wrote:I think every thing needs to be on an even keel... remember that there is a process to this team. during training camp they are figuring out where all the pieces fit. then the first part of the season they are making adjustments and dealing with injury issues and the competition factors with the players so remember that the first part of the season isn't necessarily how good or bad this team is... they might start out really fast or they might start slow but its how they finish that is important...

Just my take...

LTH

From looking at our schedule and knowing that even with a QB as experienced and talented as Russell, it'll take time for the offense to find it's momentum and potential, especially if we're relying on Eskridge to play a key role in the slot. Not too many rookies come in, grasp a super complicated scheme with all it's nuances like Waldron's installing.......and hit the ground running.

But IMO the bigger roadblock for the offense is who we play.............I mean, there's not a weak defense on our entire schedule until we play Houston in mid December.

Doesn't mean we can't win games and be a top NFC team, but it does mean I don't think this offense is going to come out of the gates on fire like they did last year against weak opponents who had very little time to practice during covid restrictions like last year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information